Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

$10 SOL Survival Blanket Underquilt?

Hey guys,

I'm really new to Hammock Camping, and I'm testing out a Hennessy Asym Explorer Deluxe to take on a two month Bicycle Tour across Japan in April and May -- but the cost of the hammock has tapped out my budget pretty hard. I'm pretty sure if I can get the hang of.. hanging I'll be happier and more comfortable in the hammock, but a tent would have cost me less than half as much. As such, I'm kind of running out of money when it comes to insulation. I'm thinking of using a couple of sun-shades for a car, but I'm told under-quilts are universally better, and will make it easier for me to unzip my sleeping bag and just use it as a blanket.

So I looked for DIY solutions, and I found this:

Has anybody tried anything like this before? I emailed the guy and he says he hasn't had any problems with condensation and has used it for about 20 nights comfortably -- though the folks on reddit are concerned about condensation anyway because it uses one of these: http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com...l-blanket.html to reflect heat.

I know it's not as good as a real underblanket, but with my budget and very limited storage space on the bike, it seems perfect if it has a chance of working -- it's light and gets small enough to fit almost anywhere. It can also be used as a waterproof tarp if I need to go to ground for some reason (I think!) or as an emergency bivvy! It's not going to provide a lot of warmth, but it seems like it might be enough -- where we're going we don't expect it to get below 40 on the coldest nights, more likely being 45 for the first week or two and then averaging 50-55+ for the rest of the trip.

I haven't made or tested this yet (I've only tried to stay in the hammock once overnight so far and it didn't go well due to poor hanging) but I was wondering if anybody has had any luck here.

Alternatively, how do these just work as a "mat" under a sleeping bag?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    You will be cold at those temps, and probably damp as well. I'd still be going with pads at this point if funds are tight. Poncho Liner UQ or PLUQ might be an option.

Emergency blankets are best used for that in itself. In our applications you will either run into condensation or fail to get enough RU value out of them and most probably both.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    I tried this and woke up in a pool of water at 50 degrees and was a little chilled as well until i got wet. I used a pad the rest of my trip. Cheap closed cell foam worked ok at those temps.
    Last edited by wolf8895; 03-17-2016 at 14:52. Reason: posted too early
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm not sure what percentage of people have issues with condensation when using vapor barriers, but I'm definitely one of those who have issues, and so are all three of my kids. However, if you won't get below 40, the condensation might be manageable. Unfortunately, you're talking about two months of hammock camping, and I'm not sure you'll ever be able to dry out your sleeping bag.

I definitely wouldn't even think of going on a two-month trip without thoroughly testing such a solution.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    A thermarest Z lite pad ( http://www.backcountry.com/therm-a-r...g&gclsrc=aw.ds ) is incredibly light and folds up accordion style--easy to tie onto the back of a pack. I've used mine in my double layer hammock in the thirties and it's been ok. A SnugPak underblanket would be more comfortable and runs $45 (just a little more expensive than this particular pad), but it WEIGHS substantially more and would be bulkier to pack...so, I think the Z Lite would be your best insulating option for under $40. ...Or you could always go with a $7-14 dollar blue (closed cell) foam pad from WalMart which would insulate as well as the Z Lite, but be more bulky to carry.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 03-17-2016 at 18:12.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I didn't make an under quilt out of a SOL blanket, but I did use it between the 2 layers of my hammock, good down to 55* anything below that get a real quilt or something else IMO.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by wolf8895 View Post
    I tried this and woke up in a pool of water at 50 degrees and was a little chilled as well until i got wet. I used a pad the rest of my trip. Cheap closed cell foam worked ok at those temps.
    Did you use it as an underquilt or did you use it inside the hammock, under you?

I've seen multiple suggestions here mentioning double layer hammock -- that's a layer between to put insulation / pads, right? I don't have that as an option. Whatever I use will be under me directly, or under the outside of the bag.

Also, maybe I don't understand how condensation works? Why would this create a pool of water where a normal UQ won't?

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    Because the SOL is waterproof, trapping moisture. An underquilt traps warmth, not moisture while still allowing it to breathe, condensation wont form.

Imagine breathing your hot breathe through a pillow, now imagine trying to do the same thing through a garbage bag.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by seaniccus View Post
    Did you use it as an underquilt or did you use it inside the hammock, under you?

I've seen multiple suggestions here mentioning double layer hammock -- that's a layer between to put insulation / pads, right? I don't have that as an option. Whatever I use will be under me directly, or under the outside of the bag.

Also, maybe I don't understand how condensation works? Why would this create a pool of water where a normal UQ won't?
    The SOL blanket acts as a vapor barrier. Any moisture your body expels will filter through your insulation, then your hammock, but collect in the emergency blanket ( unable to escape ).

The kicker to it is that some people seem to sleep 'damper' than others. Some don't. So for some people your solution is doable from a dampness standpoint, but for others they wake up wet.

I've been using a foam pad for years with no issue ( which can be a vapor barrier ), but other people have dampness issues with the same setup.

If it were me I'd be happier with a thin, cheap foam pad inside the hammock based on your 40s temp range, but other people don't like them. The 40s in a hammock can be unbearable without good under insulation.

Hammock
    DH Gnome 10' 1.8 Nightgrid Camo
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Someone else can get into the hot body cold air mechanics. I'll second a zlite, I used on one my HH ultralite until I got a UQ. Also I made a UQ out of a sleeping bag someone gave me with shock cord and grommets from the local sewing place. Maybe $10 is supplies plus 2 carabiners. Used it for my wife's first few hangs (as she hates to me cold and I knew if she got cold and decide not to hang anymore it would put a damper on camping . ) she was toasty warm with a good sleeping bag inside her HH explorer and the DIY UQ. Got down to 35* . Then I got her a JBR 0* and she hangs with me happily.

I digress, the zlite takes a bit of setup to get use to how it sits. And without a double layer hammock you'll need to get use to it too, but any of you that is on it will be warm, hand to God.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast