Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    A big issue I have with my HH is the air above me is cold because the top of the hammock is open. Many times it is too hot to be completely under my quilt, but if I uncover my chest, my chest ends up getting too cold because of cross-breezes and colder air in the hammock. This makes it difficult for me to sleep. I think the weather shield on the CJH would eliminate this issue. It would help trap some heat and make the hammock warmer as a result.
    If you don't mind some DIY, making a customized overcover for your HH is not too much work. Headchange4u or hammock engineer has made an overcover for his DIY hammock and seemed to like it very much. You could make your DIY overcover so that it can be put in place or removed without the same hassle as the stock Hennessy overcover. Also, you could make so that it covers only partially or fully as you desire.

Alternatively it is possible to alter the stock Hennessy overcover to make it easier to use, i.e., put on and remove without taking the hammock down. Altering the stock overcover is simple and much less work than making one from scratch.

That's the really great part of DIY - you get what you want.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    One advantage to making your own overcover is that you can use DWR instead of the sil that the Hennessy model uses. I would worry about condensation with sil, whereas I've had great results and no problems with my DWR one.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    One advantage to making your own overcover is that you can use DWR instead of the sil that the Hennessy model uses. I would worry about condensation with sil, whereas I've had great results and no problems with my DWR one.
    My altered stock HH overcover is DWR 1.1 oz ripstop. I altered it using velcro (some could use zippers ) so that I can install or remove with no hassle. The only thing that would be harder to do with the stock overcover is to alter it so that it only covered part of the hammock. Say from the foot end of the hammock to the waist. May be possible, but since it uses shock cord around the perimeter to keep it on the hammock, it would be difficult.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Making it for the inside with velcro and throwing it over the ridge line might be good. I will see if I can find some material at the local Walmart or fabric store.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    So what is your opinion? Do you like the CJH? Have you taken it out down to about 40*, or colder? I am very interested in what you have to say. Feel free to carry on about the CJH, it is an expensive decision for me.......lol Thanks.
    Having just returned from a 4 night ‘hang’ with my son, here’s my thoughts: I do like my Clark, but over night temps didn’t drop much below 60°. I had an ‘egg’ type pad inside, and used an old sleeping bag as a quilt. I was comfortable and never cold. It was a little chilly a couple of mornings, but it never got cold enough to really judge. I didn’t need it (and had it tucked in the convenient storage area), but I would think using the weather shield on only the wind side would help (thus giving condensation a chance to pass through the bug mesh to the tarp), and I could wrap the tarp around and under the hammock as HANGnOUT said. Also keeping the tarp as you normally would and using the shield on only the wind side would have to help a little with wind stealing some warmth.

I’m not about to argue with people with tons more experience than me, but I believe the Clark can easily get the job done as well as other brands. Is it the best? I can’t say. I do know if you put 10 people in a room, you generally can’t get them to agree on what time it is, so I doubt we’ll settle which hammock is the best. I’ll have to wait for winter to really put it to the test.

6 ft.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    Is it the best? I can’t say. I do know if you put 10 people in a room, you generally can’t get them to agree on what time it is, so I doubt we’ll settle which hammock is the best.
    Amen, brother. There isn't a "best" hammock out there. Best for my style, best for his budget, best for her medical issues...sure. Personally, my "best" means that I made it with my own hands...though I'm pretty fond of the commercial ones, too.

And Clark seems to have a pretty loyal following from the folks who own them.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Clark
    Insulation
    Closedcell padding
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    Having just returned from a 4 night ‘hang’ with my son, here’s my thoughts: I do like my Clark, but over night temps didn’t drop much below 60°. I had an ‘egg’ type pad inside, and used an old sleeping bag as a quilt. I was comfortable and never cold. It was a little chilly a couple of mornings, but it never got cold enough to really judge. I didn’t need it (and had it tucked in the convenient storage area), but I would think using the weather shield on only the wind side would help (thus giving condensation a chance to pass through the bug mesh to the tarp), and I could wrap the tarp around and under the hammock as HANGnOUT said. Also keeping the tarp as you normally would and using the shield on only the wind side would have to help a little with wind stealing some warmth.

I’m not about to argue with people with tons more experience than me, but I believe the Clark can easily get the job done as well as other brands. Is it the best? I can’t say. I do know if you put 10 people in a room, you generally can’t get them to agree on what time it is, so I doubt we’ll settle which hammock is the best. I’ll have to wait for winter to really put it to the test.

6 ft.
    You will never have a condensation problem with the weathershield, even completely zipped up. I never have anyway.
    Hikerhead

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    ...And Clark seems to have a pretty loyal following from the folks who own them.
    We have to! After spending that much $, we don't dare say we don't like them.

6 ft
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hehe - I've wondered about that...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post

Is the overcover made of Sil? I thought it was breathable, unlike the undercover? I think I remember TH claims moisture will be absorbed into the cover and wick to the outside where it will evaporate?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast