Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First DIY Climashield Underquilt

First off, thanks to everyone here. The amount of information is amazing.

48" x 72" +/- finished size
    Inner shell - 1.1 nylon ripstop 48" x 72"
    Insulation - 2 layers 3.6 Climashield 48" x 72"
    Outer shell - 1.1 nylon ripstop 52" x 76"

I cut the nylon with a soldering iron and it worked very well. I assembled it using the inside out method(sew insulation down). I made the channels from the shell material and presewed them to the inner shell and added loops for secondary suspension. I sewed two laps around the perimeter before flipping it right side out.

1 lb 13 oz with suspension

IMG_0519.JPGIMG_0520.JPGIMG_0521.JPGIMG_0522.JPGIMG_0523.JPGIMG_0524.JPGIMG_0525.JPGIMG_0526.JPGIMG_0528.JPG

Looks like a great result!
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Well done, james_e84! Sounds like you applied some of the lessons-learned from those of us that have done these before (e.g., sewing the channels on before sandwiching everything together and sewing it all down)! I noticed you did 2 layers of the CS 3.6--did you have any problems getting all that under the presser foot of your injector or it feeding correctly? Looks like it'll keep you toasty warm.

I did have some trouble with thread tension and feeding at first, I don't think the presser foot was dropping far enough(due to material thickness) to engage the thread tensioner. I had to put significant downward pressure on the presser foot. Once I made this adjustment it fed and stitched flawlessly.

I cant thank eveyone here enough for the knowledge I've gained in the past few months.

Banned
    Images
    Nice work . I like the double Apex 3.6 Idea

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by james_e84 View Post
    I did have some trouble with thread tension and feeding at first, I don't think the presser foot was dropping far enough(due to material thickness) to engage the thread tensioner. I had to put significant downward pressure on the presser foot. Once I made this adjustment it fed and stitched flawlessly.

I cant thank eveyone here enough for the knowledge I've gained in the past few months.
    Where at in WV? I'm originally from Huntington...

Southern WV, near Beckley.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    did you sew darts in the ends? I'm tumbling around an idea for a climbashield insert for my PLUQ design (i totally dig my full-length setup better than the 3/4 versions I've seen) and i don't think I'll need to 'sew' the darts, so much as just cut them and let them flap over themselves (how ever one would describe whatever it is they'd be doing at the end of the hammock). I'm thinking I'd have to sandwich the insert between layers of some kinda nylon to keep debris from the single continuous filament. my insert looks like it'd be not far removed from your design. what temp would you rate it down to comfortably? great job, way better than my first few attempts lol
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

I did not sew in darts, I simply overlapped the extra length in two places a little off center.(I had 4 extra inches, so two 1 inch folds/gathers took up the slack)

If I am understanding your plan for a pluq insert with a nylon lining correctly, it's not too far from a complete uq, as far as time and materials go. You may want to consider making a new quilt that meets your temperature goals.

As far as temp ratings go, these are the numbers from rsbtr
    2.5 oz - 50o F
    3.6 oz - 40o F
    5.0 oz - 30o F
    7.5 oz - 10o F

I'm guessing 7.2 should be 15 or 20. Time will tell.

Let me know if I was unclear about the darts/folds/gathers and I'll take a picture.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    I follow your gather/darts thing lol. I considered making a syth uq (doesnt SEEM to require much in the way of baffling or the wavy lines one always sees sewn to quilts (like a poncho liner). I dig modularity too much to have a dedicated piece of gear. My pluq becomes my alphatent floor, with a space blanket to reflect lost heat back up to me, and a wool blanket for the condensation issue therein. A dedicated piece has to outperform by a large margin for me to consider it, and id still have my pluq in the truck JIC. Id love to build dedicated EVERYTHING but im broke lol
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast