DIY Black Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!

Stitching footbox tips?

Had a few diy hammocks, this is my first with a footbox. I think this had had only perhaps 15-20 nights in it and as you can see from the pic, the seam is starting to get a bit see through! Is this normally a problem, or is it perhaps a sign of too close/far spaced stitching, too much tension on the seam for some reason (i was surprised by how tight the edge of the hammock was on the footbox side!), or is it something else?

I do notice that the end channel on the foot end on the footbox side is slowly starting to come apart from the tightness of the edge too, but that's another matter, from my slack sewing when I decided to shorten the hammock

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I think you need to upload another picture or two. I have no clue where on the hammock it is and could be important. Its likely its caused by stress but it depends ........
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Stitching is too close imho.

Footboxes need a little slack in the fabric. Allows for minor changes in hangs, feet sliding into the box and stress at the bottom of the curve along the seam of the hammock.

Your heels definitely put pressure on the lowest point of the curve and that seam on the hammock does take some stress.

It takes a little trial and error to get it right. You are right on schedule.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

How close should stitching be on a hammock? I'm wondering if mine is too close also.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    A good rule of thumb is about 8 per inch.
    Take a look at some of the close up pics posted by Dream Hammock in their forum, even some videos.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY Black Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I think you need to upload another picture or two. I have no clue where on the hammock it is and could be important. Its likely its caused by stress but it depends ........
    It's where the footbox joins to the hammock body, as mentioned in the post there really are no other pics that could show it any better, because it would just be a pic of the entire hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Black Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    A good rule of thumb is about 8 per inch.
    Take a look at some of the close up pics posted by Dream Hammock in their forum, even some videos.
    I'll keep that in mind. My old machine didn't have anything to tell me what the stitch spacing was, just had to eyeball it. My new (old) singer has it marked on there however. I think 7/inch is the largest spacing it has however, so that's pretty close

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I've thought about a sewing in a footbox on a DIY hammock before and that makes me wonder if I need to add grosgrain as reinforcement.
    Or, did it just need to be a little broader/looser so it wouldn't be too tight and have as much stress on it? I'm not sure...I'll probably have to do some trial and error when I get time.
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY Black Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkerber View Post
    I've thought about a sewing in a footbox on a DIY hammock before and that makes me wonder if I need to add grosgrain as reinforcement.
    Or, did it just need to be a little broader/looser so it wouldn't be too tight and have as much stress on it? I'm not sure...I'll probably have to do some trial and error when I get time.
    The grosgrain won't add strength, if it is the fabric failing. You will just be left with a piece of tape with a seam inside it. Grosgrain is great for adding strength when the tension is ALONG the seam, but won't help with a seam that is being pulled apart, like in the footbox (perfect for running along the length of the hammock edge, where the footbox essentially shortens the edge thus increasing the tension along it)

I'm thinking it needs a longer stitch length, and I'll look at seeing if I can get some tension off the seam too...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca81 View Post
    The grosgrain won't add strength, if it is the fabric failing. You will just be left with a piece of tape with a seam inside it. Grosgrain is great for adding strength when the tension is ALONG the seam, but won't help with a seam that is being pulled apart, like in the footbox (perfect for running along the length of the hammock edge, where the footbox essentially shortens the edge thus increasing the tension along it)
    I have a few test pieces of fabric sewn with polyester binding tape along the edge, and I can't break the seam. It is very strong.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast