Hammock
    TX-270/Sparrow/DIY
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles
    I'm thinking the Bridge-style hammocks or the Clark's would be a good choice. I don't have experience with the Bridge hammocks but i have a Clark TX-270 and it feels very airy and open. I'd consider it a cross between a Bridge and Gathered End.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I too am claustrophobic. I use a Ridgerunner which helps some. I have found that if I leave the zipper open about four inches in exactly the same spot am ok. If i wake up in a panic, I calm down as soon as my hand locates the opening.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    I am not "screamingly" claustrophobic however, my mother is and she complains she is getting worse as the years move along, no more spelunking for her. She has tried almost all the hammocks. She recently lost all her gear, the hammock she considered a must have FOR HER NEEDS was the DL RidgeRunner--Netless, that was the hammock which was replaced thanks to a generous HF member.

We started with Hennessy, both of us found them too enclosed. I still use my hennessy less the bugnet in the winter.

Simply Light Designs Streamliner is my mother's second choice after the Ridgerunner/netless.
    Evidently for some people lightness is also a factor. Tarps that are light color and not too close to the hammock are preferred. Not too sure how other claustrophobic Hangers feel about their tarp.

We tried leaving the netting open a few inches that helped in the beginning, however after a while the too enclose feeling started.

Ever wonder how one of our members adopted the name "Rip" Waverly?
    Last edited by ironfish77; 03-15-2016 at 14:40. Reason: added name

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    With a Streamliner there is no "wall of fabric" that may add to the problem of feeling closed in. The catenary cuts along the sides get rid of that and, along with great views out, make it a very open hammock.

Pitching the tarp high and in porch mode should help as well.

Hammock
    Digging the AMOK!
    Tarp
    Anything Cuben Fib
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Suspension
    Still Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I avoid drugs like the plague, yet i have to take 2 valium to get through an mri. If i put on motorcycle boots and can't wiggle my toes just right, i freak. Strangely, i have no problem with a full coverage helmet or hammocks/tarps. I find that even a slight breeze can help, so keeping the tarp a bit higher than "normal" could be good thing. A CF tarp may feel more open, at least while it's still light out. If doors, keep at least one door open on each end. As for the hammock, avoid the knotty mod or adjust it all the way out. Mabe the OP is a candidate for a narrower hammock that won't have as much wall on one side. I would suggest a firm fabric to help minimize shoulder squeeze. I haven't tried a wide hammock yet, but maybe that would help. Keep one of those tiny led keychain lights on (on the RL). Lastly, i have no problem with a fronkey net...so far.
    Funny you say that...I'm getting an MRI on my hip in two days and they have to prescribe be Valium and I take at least 10mg. I have to be able to have my arms above my head out of the tunnel, so I can at least feel like I can pull my self out if I freak out and I have to put a blind fold on. I have no clue what caused me to be that way but it's haunted me my entire life.

Hammock
    Digging the AMOK!
    Tarp
    Anything Cuben Fib
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Suspension
    Still Learning

Best hammock for claustrophobia?

Thanks for all the tips folks. That def gives me some options. I love tarp tent camping but on longer treks I'd rather go lighter with a hammock. I can get tarp tents pretty light, but I also want to start using a hammock for lower back issues...which I hear hammocks do well for that...I'm considering a bridge style or the AMOK. I'm digging the AMOK quite a bit.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    While I'm not personally claustrophobic, a zippered bugnet is just something I can't tolerate, which is why I recommended a hammock with non-integrated bugnet like Dutch's.
    I haven't used a fronkey net yet, but I had imagined that the sides would fall inwards whereas the zipper on an integrated one keeps the bugnet taught. Is that not your experience?

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    While I'm not claustrophobic, I do have broad shoulders and hate shoulder squeeze. I also like firm hammocks for my lower back. I just made a wide hammock out of Dutch's Hexon 1.6 Wide and it works great for both issues.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcolon13 View Post
    I haven't used a fronkey net yet, but I had imagined that the sides would fall inwards whereas the zipper on an integrated one keeps the bugnet taught. Is that not your experience?
    Not at all. The bugnet hangs over the ridgeline and around the hammock. There is no falling inwards whatsoever. I never even know the bugnet is there.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware or Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The Amok is probably the most open hammock I've got. Nothing near your shoulders and very open.

The only negative is that it's a firm sleep as you use a sleeping pad with it.

Otherwise it's a very cool hammock. The bug net completely zips away if you don't want to use it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast