Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Proposal to modify the" For Sale Excluded" item list

There's been much discussion about it over the past few months and perhaps it is time to re-evaluate the effectiveness of the "excluded" list and amend the TOS for the FS section.

I went back into the original thread when it was announced back in November and there was mention on revisiting the rules by the Mod's eventually (post #86 by Attroll) . I followed up with the following post (#108 of the string):

"I know that the new guidelines (ie what's allowed to be sold) are a bone of contention for many of us and there was talk of revisiting them after things are implemented. Can we get a firm date as to when the "new and improved" guidelines will be revisited and the mod's & HF members can discuss these? I think 90 days would be plenty of time to take a look at things again. Just my opinion..."

Note, no firm date was ever set, but we've reached the 90+ days with the new and improved FS section and I estimate that the volume of FS items has decreased due to the restrictions. What is the opinion of the Mods who monitor the FS string? Has there been any significant increase/decrease in the amount of work it takes to manage it?

This is the current "Excluded" list:
    Excluded (cannot be sold on HF)
    a) Chairs or other camping furniture unless it is convertible to a hammock for sleeping
    b) Tents or items used for ground sleeping
    c) Fire arms, ammunition, or holsters for same
    d) Fishing, skiing, pulks, or any other sporting gear
    e) Electronic gear – if it requires power or batteries it cannot be sold on HF
    f) Automatic knives, butterfly knives and swords

I agree with some items on the list remaining (c & f), but I would like to open discussion to amend the TOS and allow the following:
    a) Chairs or other camping furniture unless it is convertible to a hammock for sleeping
    b) Tents or items used for ground sleeping
    d) Fishing, skiing, pulks, or any other sporting gear
    e) Electronic gear – if it requires power or batteries it cannot be sold on HF

I'm hoping that the Mods will take my proposal under consideration. I appreciate everything they do to make HF a great community. Thank you.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I'm hoping that the Mods will take my proposal under consideration. I appreciate everything they do to make HF a great community. Thank you.
    +1.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have bumped this thread to all the mods/admins for discussion.

Please do feel free to make suggestions for improvements here but please keep in mind, it won't go back to where it was. Believe it or not, the changes we made has greatly reduced the work load in the FS section. Yes, we know it has also reduced the posting but Hammock Forums is about hammocks and not necessarily about selling/buying gear.

So please post your suggestions for improvements and/or discuss other folk's suggestions in this thread so we can review them as we are chatting about impacts.

Thanks!
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Very well stated and I definitely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post

Please do feel free to make suggestions for improvements here but please keep in mind, it won't go back to where it was. Believe it or not, the changes we made has greatly reduced the work load in the FS section. Yes, we know it has also reduced the posting but Hammock Forums is about hammocks and not necessarily about selling/buying gear.

So please post your suggestions for improvements and/or discuss other folk's suggestions in this thread so we can review them as we are chatting about impacts.

Thanks!
    We appreciate the consideration and glad to hear the workload has diminished!

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR

Thanks!
    I can see how users closing their own threads has drastically improved the work load. I also think it's time to see how self maintenance can still work while simultaneously lifting the bans on camping gear.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I know there was a lot of work before but I really miss the other camping gear. I have found myself less interested in going to the for sale forum. I have found that I visit the site less than I did before. Not sure if anything else can get done but I sure would like the camping related item come back. I bought some great gear off the forum.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    ... amend the TOS ...

...Thank you.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I'm glad the Mods' workload decreased from this and I agree with the OP: bring back most of it and if "C" & "F"
    are excluded that would be fine, as these items are a much smaller amount of FS items anyway (not to mention the other potential issues they can cause).

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    ...Hammock Forums is about hammocks...
    Not totally. Hammock Forums is more about people who, among other things, are interested in hammocks. Those PEOPLE, the members of the forum, is really what Hammock Forums is really about. You certainly can make it just about hammocks...start by alienating those people.

When I joined the spirit was; "Come for the Hammocks. Stay for the company". If the site owner prefers to turn a deaf ear to the membership, that spirit is diminished. "Come for the Hammocks, turn the lights out when you leave"
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast