Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape

Son's first hang with me

This past weekend I took my 11 yr old son out for his first backpacking trip. I chose something that was relatively easy, no real elevation gain, and about 6.5 miles each way (13 round trip). I had allotted quite a bit of time for the hike, thinking he'd have to take lots of breaks, but the opposite happened, he never wanted to stop, just wanted to keep hiking. As a result, we ended up hitting our camp area way earlier than I had thought we would.

He helped with getting the hammocks and tarps set up, then gathered firewood for us. After that he wanted to lounge in the hammock, so that's what he did. He brought a book, so he laid in the hammock reading. But after a couple hours, he was bored. I hadn't thought that we'd be there so early, and so I didn't think to bring other things to distract him. For those of you who hike with kids, what do you bring to keep them occupied? I was thinking next time I'd bring a frisbee and some cards, maybe get one of those bandanas that has a checkerboard printed on them. What other ideas are there?

Here are some photos of our trip...12802827_1001272843275769_265946615113913039_n.jpg12791021_1001266559943064_7460183430765285044_n.jpg12801201_1001266329943087_7167876662299317872_n.jpg

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    My son is 21/22 this week and we started about 2 years ago, and I wish I would have done it way sooner when he was younger cause he loves it. Great to see him taking a liking to it and looked like a great time. Thx for sharing. Rick.
    If you don't like today,,you are gonna hate tomorrow.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Sometimes we bring tree and track identification books with us to use. Bring a compass and a map. It's a good skill to teach him if you haven't already. We also have one of those small chess/checkers magnetic sets.
    Enjoy your time together. It go's to fast.

Al

I used to love to whittle when I was his age and could pass hours doing it. I like AlanH's suggestion though; might as well teach and practice outdoor/survival skills while in the outdoors.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    I think the key is the venue. Perhaps go to a destination where there is a lot of exploring to do - waterfalls, caves, overlooks, etc. I like the survival skills idea too - maybe see if he can start a fire with a bow-drill!
    Have fun!

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    My son likes to gather wood, whittle with his knife(after learning safety of course), I've also taught him navigation skills and we will sometimes build shelters just to stay busy. Initially he wanted to lay in his hammock and read also. I always think kids being outdoors, learning skills and exploring is like a brain cleansing for them from all the media/games!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    Watch some bushcrafting videos. Learn to make fire the old way, make traps. I think hill find it challenging and rewarding.

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    My son and I work on identifying wild edibles, primitive Fire making, wood spitting (several different ways), carving, cooking. Making different types of bannock. I try to hike or camp near water, so all the extra bannock gets use for fishing.

What a great trip! I took my 9-year old out a few times last year. Learned the hard way that he likes to roll around when he sleeps...a hammock might not be the right choice for him. But I did learn that a Hennessy Cub can support 100 pounds even when the hammock is upside down and all the weight is on the mesh.

I think you're on the right track with the cards and frisbee. I've had good luck with card games like skipbo and coloretto. We once ended up camping next to a German family that had a wooden version of Popomatic Trouble. Their girls didn't speak English but the kids played that for hours.

Everyone else has commented about different wilderness skills. I think those are great to fit in as well. Too much can sometimes seem like homework but it all depends on the kid.

Sounds like the two of you are off to a great start! Look forward to hearing about your next trip.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ:CS 5 TQ:CS 7.5
    Suspension
    Webbing, buckles
    What are his general interests? Physical activities (frisbee, hacky sack)? Games (cards, travel board games)? Learning (bushcraft, orienteering & map skills) Exploring? I know that it is a long shot to ask and get more that the standard "I don't know", but it might be helpful to ask and include activities that he already enjoys. At least this is an important first step to learn that sometimes plans don't always go exactly as expected and that you need to be ready to manufacture your own fun at times.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast