Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

CRL VS D-RING TIE OUT

So what are people's preferences and why? I have always used my tarp d-rings to tie out. I have never used a CRL. I know the difference between them. Just want a feeler .

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    CRL. Mainly just because it's easier for me to center over my hammock. I use the way Derek Hansen talks about in The Ultimate Hang.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Started out with separate end tie outs...didn't last.

+1 for CRL... I prefer the ability to hang the ridge line without deploying the tarp right away, and I don't care for snake skins..

Easier to center and adjust.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    +1 for CRL... I prefer the ability to hang the ridge line without deploying the tarp right away, and I don't care for snake skins.
    +1 on CRL. I never even tried anything else because deployment of the tarp seemed easier to me.

I do care for snakeskins, but like to hang my tarp in the snakeskins without deploying it sometimes. So you're hanging the CRL with no tarp on it? I've only seen other person do that (and he does some other things I find kinda weird, like always packing his guylines and tie-outs in a separate bag, after carefully Figure 8-ing each one!).
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-12-2016 at 21:55.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    I started with a Single Line Ridgeline tie-outs... And it was OK, but there were 2 defisiencies -

a) When hanging, I had to put the tarp and ridgeline together and I find it a bit difficult to pitch it tight if the tarp is under ridgeline. Also, once it is tied - it's a major hassle to recenter it.

b) When untying, I couldn't find a way to unfasten the rope without letting my tarp hit the ground. Given that I did it in wintertime, it was OK, but spring is coming and I wanted a better solution.

So, I checked the Ultimate Hung and constructed a CRL. I think it answers both my problems nicely.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    No CRL for me. The second thing I dislike about winter camping is my tarp with CRL, the other is changing clothes. I much prefer lines on each end. Quick, easy, just less fiddle factor for me. With either system there's back and forth, less with separate lines for me. If my tarp isn't perfectly centered between the trees I simply center my hammock under the tarp.

I generally use trees about 7 steps apart, attach one end of my tarp about 1-1/2 steps away from the tree and repeat the same on the other end, stretching my tarp out as I go. Hammock goes up and I eyeball center as well as foot end a bit higher than head end.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    No CRL for me. The second thing I dislike about winter camping is my tarp with CRL, the other is changing clothes. I much prefer lines on each end. Quick, easy, just less fiddle factor for me. With either system there's back and forth, less with separate lines for me. If my tarp isn't perfectly centered between the trees I simply center my hammock under the tarp.

I generally use trees about 7 steps apart, attach one end of my tarp about 1-1/2 steps away from the tree and repeat the same on the other end, stretching my tarp out as I go. Hammock goes up and I eyeball center as well as foot end a bit higher than head end.
    I thought you said you love changing clothes in another thread

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    CRL. I like the adjustability of the prussics to center the tarp. And it's easy to just hang the tarp in snakeskins and wait to deploy it if the rain comes in.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ....So you're hanging the CRL with no tarp on it? I've only seen other person do that (and he does some other things I find kinda weird, like always packing his guylines and tie-outs in a separate bag, after carefully Figure 8-ing each one!).
    Yes..

CRL goes up with no tarp, to start. Single hook on the head end, Loop Alien on the other.

In the middle of the CRL is a diamond knot and a soft shackle, both attached using klemheist knots. I prefer the klemheist in this situation, for two reasons.. first, though I use 1.75 Dynaglide for all components, the bury in the soft shackle results in cordage that is thicker than the ridge line and it takes too many turns to get a prusik to hold; second, the klemheist holds like velcro when the pull is directional, as it is in the configuration I have here.

My tarp guy outs are different length (six foot on one side and ten foot on the other to accommodate porch mode and to make it easier to pitch the tarp, the corresponding diamond knot and soft shackle on the tarp, allow for attaching to the CRL in only one direction and that trumps the prusik as well.

Once the CRL is up, I can hang the tarp off to one end of the ridge line, while still in the double ended stuff sack (updated to no-seeum from the one pictured), get the hammock up and then when ready, center and deploy the tarp. Of course, if it's foul out the tarp goes up first.

Just seems a whole lot easier for me this way.

01a915d4ac28895cca3b26deb38ed498e095051f3e.jpg0103ede2d5bcc18d0bff9b1373e7cbee74ed6d1c53.jpg
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ:CS 5 TQ:CS 7.5
    Suspension
    Webbing, buckles
    I have tie-outs to the D-ring along with some figure 9's for adjustability (no Dutch bling, yet). Unless you are tying knots in your cord, I do not see how my setup is any more fiddelly than prussics. How does using D-ring tie outs preclude keeping the tarp rolled up for quick deployment? I really don't see this anything more than personal preferences. Some will swear by a CLR and others will swear at a CLR. No matter what your setup, no tarp goes up fast enough when you get caught in a frog strangler.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast