Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

AL>Sipsey Wilderness 18-20 March

Per Wilderness guidelines, this trip is limited to a total of 10 people. I have six potential participants so that allows 4 more people to sign up.

I would rate this hike 3.0 out of 5.0 due to the length of this hike and anticipated elevation change.

This is an all weather and conditions trip - if we can get there, we're going. It is also BYOE (Bring Your Own Everything) and CYOS (Carry Your Own Stuff). Total mileage is around 14 miles. Expect Sipsey Wilderness conditions - back country, water crossings, elevation gain/loss, and possible blow downs, etc.

Our plan is to hike all of trail 208 East to West, trail 206 South, and then trail 201 South(ish) to Randolph trailhead.

Friday afternoon we will drop off at least one vehicle at the Randolph trailhead, then go to the Gum Pond trailhead to hike a couple of miles. We will camp at Hagood or Braziel creek Friday night. Saturday we plan on hiking a total distance of about 8 - 10 miles and camping at the headwaters of the Sipsey river. After some sightseeing Sunday morning, we will hike the remaining 3 miles or so to the Randolph trailhead, pick up the other vehicles, and drive home. This plan is somewhat flexible on mileage per day.

We plan on visiting Ship Rock, Eye of the Needle, the Rippey Cabin, and other sights along the way.

Anyone interested? Ground dwellers welcome.
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 03-15-2016 at 08:43.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Wow. I thought all these folks with SWA questions would jump at the chance for a guided hike! I might be in, just giving others a chance first.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I would love to, but I'm going down to Section 1 of the Pinhoti to help (learn how) to build trail this weekend. My timing for guided trips in Sipsey is really stinking this Spring.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

AL>Sipsey Wilderness 18-20 March

Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    Wow. I thought all these folks with SWA questions would jump at the chance for a guided hike! I might be in, just giving others a chance first.
    Me too, Dale. But you are the expert - I have learned lots from you! I'm just going with some friends. (Yes, Waaayne will be in attendance)

And we're even staying on trail (odd for me) AND doing easy trails (super odd). Although 208 may be an adventure with all this rain....
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 03-14-2016 at 23:25.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    I would love to, but I'm going down to Section 1 of the Pinhoti to help (learn how) to build trail this weekend. My timing for guided trips in Sipsey is really stinking this Spring.

Charlotte
    You will be missed, but have fun down there!

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Initial post updated. I now have a total of 6 potential participants (including me) from other sources. Two of them are continent on the condition of elderly relatives and won't make a decision until possibly Thursday or Friday.

I may be the only one in a hammock, too.
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 03-15-2016 at 10:01.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    Sounds like a good trip but I'll be out of state that weekend.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post

Charlotte
    Good on you Charlotte! We can all appreciate those who build and maintain our trails.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    My Sipsey timing has been very bad lately. I have to be safety on a little river trip on Saturday or I would be considering it. I miss that place!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnunniv View Post
    Me too, Dale. But you are the expert - I have learned lots from you! I'm just going with some friends. (Yes, Waaayne will be in attendance)

And we're even staying on trail (odd for me) AND doing easy trails (super odd). Although 208 may be an adventure with all this rain....
    Thanks Jim, but I'm not the expert, just a wanderer like yourself. I bet Thomas has forgotten more than I'll discover! 208 should be fine overall. It used to be a road, so it will be less muddy than some of the other trails. Check out some of those limestone areas if you get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    My Sipsey timing has been very bad lately. I have to be safety on a little river trip on Saturday or I would be considering it. I miss that place!
    My Sipsey timing too, I haven't been there yet this year! I miss you, Cuz...it's been too long.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    Good on you Charlotte! We can all appreciate those who build and maintain our trails.
    And in that spirit, I think I will volunteer with Wildsouth this Saturday. They will be working on Thompson Creek, pulling privet along the west bank. Maybe by the time y'all hit 206, we will be through for the day and I will join you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast