Thread: Nube Questions

Nube Questions

Woooooooo! My 1st hammock is here! I purchased Dutchware 11' 1.6 Hexon. I'm a total nube so I have to ask a few q's:

I ordered the structural ridgeline thats 115' from Dutch. According to what I've read it should be about 109.5 for the 11' hammock. Is this right? Whats the standard method for shortening the RL? At first I thought it was like a whoopie sling that I could adjust but its not. Do I cut it? tie a knot in it?

I ordered the tree huggers and whoopie slings. I passed the tree hugger through the loop on the end and cinched it down on the tree. Then I took the loop end of the whoopie and passed it through the loop on the hugger. Is this the proper way to connect them?

I also ordered the Knotty Mod. I'm guessing you tighten the cord lock opposite the side your feet are on to take up the extra material right?

Another tips for a total nube greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    image.jpgSeems to me the SRL should have been set to the right length in the shop. If you find it too loose for your liking I recommend just clipping a small carabiner to it ind then doing a few wraps around the bar side. (You have to clip the line through for each wrap). This gives you an added connection for hanging lights and such and can be easily adjusted in the woods.

Remember not to make the SRL too tight. It shouldn't sound like the e string on Dutch's banjo.

Good choice on the hammock.
    Last edited by Hangandy; 03-11-2016 at 20:15.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyBear View Post
    I ordered the structural ridgeline thats 115' from Dutch. According to what I've read it should be about 109.5 for the 11' hammock. Is this right? Whats the standard method for shortening the RL? At first I thought it was like a whoopie sling that I could adjust but its not. Do I cut it? tie a knot in it?
    Not sure I'm following. If you ordered a fixed structural ridgeline, then it's 109.5 inches for an 11 ft. hammock - that's 83% of the length of the hammock. There is no method for shortening the ridgeline - it's fixed. Why would you want to adjust it anyway?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    How are you connecting the whoopies to the hammock? If you are using the whoopie hooks from Dutch then you larkshead the fixed eye side of the sling onto the tree hugger loop and then attach adjustable end to the continuous loops on hammock with the hook. If you are just using whoopies without the hook you need to find a way to attach them to the hammock and/or straps. I use tree straps with a marlin spike hitch that i hang my whoopie on ( on the knot not on the toggle, see shug's videos) then connect my fixed eye end to the loop on my hammock with dutch biners ( awesome little titanium carabiners) so i can take ' em off if they get wet. Sounds complicated but it took me longer to type it than it takes me to do it.

Also in checking the Dutchware site the longest fixed length ridgeline they sell is set at 110" for 11ft hammocks. Other sizes are 105, and 100in.

As to the knotty mod i have no experience so i can't help ya there.

Welcome to the madness. I'm sure you'll love your new hammock, but that won't stop you from wanting to experiment with new things. It's kind of like a custom car club kinda thing. You're never done playing with your rig
    Last edited by kev138; 03-11-2016 at 20:13.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    They must have made a mistake on the ridgeline. Contact me and we will get the right in out to you. You had it right for the suspension. I tighten both sides of the knotty mod. One to make a foot of and the other to take up excess fabric.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    They must have made a mistake on the ridgeline. Contact me and we will get the right in out to you. You had it right for the suspension. I tighten both sides of the knotty mod. One to make a foot of and the other to take up excess fabric.
    Thanks Dutch, This thing is awesome! So light! I'll shoot you an email. I may need one of those HG UQ and a few other items

• + New Posts