Question Trimming a Top Quilt?

I've decided that I made the footbox too big on my down TQ. It's not the "3d" footbox, it's just sewn shut across the width and then ~2' up the length. It bothers me because:

1) It's too big at the foot which means it doesn't stay in the hammock that well, and it's unnecessarily bulky in my pack.
    2) Only marginally, but it's heavier than it needs to be and I could re-purpose the reclaimed down.
    3) It just bothers me that I didn't hit the dimensions right.

Has anybody tried to re-trim an existing down top quilt? If it was Apex, I wouldn't have any concerns and maybe down isn't a problem, either. My current plan of attack:

A) Rip seams in the footbox, mark new taper.
    B) Put masking tape over those lines and remark masking tape. I found that masking tape offers good purchase for the feed dogs and foot, while HyperD tends to be slippery. A wide tape will also hopefully prevent the down from poofing up around the foot while I'm sewing.
    C) Sew two rows of stitches down the new seam ~1/4-1/2" apart and then simply trim with scissors or rotary tool in between the two seams.
    D) Remove masking tape, redo my edge binding on the new seam. The trimmed pieces should be sealed up by a seam, I can save them for harvesting later.

???
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

How much are you thinking you will trim off?

What you describe sounds like it will work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguy View Post
    How much are you thinking you will trim off?

What you describe sounds like it will work well.
    I still have to measure carefully (more carefully than the first time, although I was admittedly conservative). I did 1/2 taper and will probably keep that because it works well when I side sleep. I did a very conservative 54" -> 48" the first time, and without measuring I'm thinking I'll wind up 54" -> 40".

that is interesting, mine is 48-50 at the bottom, I did make an enclosed foot end and I don't think it's too big. Maybe its because yours was flat.

What if you did the foot box like the bottom of a stuff sack? Fold it 90 degree opposite of how you have it sewn, then cut the outer triangles off that should give you a square foot box and eliminate some of the extra material.

Brewguy, funny you say that as I came to the same conclusion about an hour ago. I think you're dead on, and after I trim the triangles it'll cut it down to the right size.

I'm redoing the seams and need some grosgrain for trimming, so probably on hold until tomorrow.

Brewguy, it worked like a charm. I didn't even use my masking tape idea, just pins, clips, and a double seam. With the pressure turned up on my foot the fabric behaved fine. I clipped off 6" corners and an ounce of weight, what a difference in the shape. I guess this is probably how most people do it in the first place.

20160313_150251.jpg

I marked and triple stitches the corners. I left a double seam on the quilt and a single seam on the scrap so that I can use that down later.

20160313_150350.jpg

Carefully cutting between the seams. Plenty of down in the seam, now wafting around my house.

20160313_150436.jpg

Scrap piece, goes into the down bank for later.

20160313_155100.jpg

My wife had some yellow grosgrain which matches my spectra yellow trim, so I used it for an amateur job of binding the seams for strength.

20160313_155208.jpg

Finished footbox, a huge improvement over the ears.

20160313_155249.jpg

Too hot to sleep with this baby, but the shape is going to work for me, I'm very happy with it.

The footbox still is spacious, so I'll go a little narrower next time, but not by much. It's very comfortable.

Peace.

That looks great. I sewed a square pillow in the bottom of mine, it was a huge pain. This looks great and seems like it would be a lot easier.

It was pretty quick. I think it will be shedding down that was trapped in between the seams that I cut for a while, so definitely should have done it from the get go (you can see some peeking out from underneath the grosgrain binding I added). Once I decided to implement your idea, it took about 30 minutes start to finish.

• + New Posts