Norris Dam State Park Primitive Campground

So as a relatively new Hanger I was getting cabin fever and thought I would try out my gear setup. I plan on doing some backpacking with this gear but wanted to set up to get a few of the kinks out 1st, so I headed to Norris Dam State Park out of Norris, TN. Started out in the mid 60s with evening rain stom on the way filled by a cold front to drop the Temp down to below freezing.

I scouted out the west campground and there wasn't alot of good places to hang and all the sites were $20+. So I headed to the east side of the **** and found several great spots in the Primitive sites for less than $10. I Found my site and pitched up my gear.

My Gear:

Kelty Noah's Tarp 12x12
    MSR groundhogs
    Eno double Nest
    Ground tarp for gear/firewood
    6ft roll of refletix
    Ridge rest sleeping pad
    20deg down bag and a fleece blanket

So I left my eno straps at home used some webbing I had in the car on one side and some basic utility cord for the other.
    Byfar the webbing was the best option and will be used for the future. I made sure to tie the extra cord back up to line to divert any rain that would have rolled in on my supportlines. I think I need to try a Ridgeline for my hammock as I think it wil help with sleeping on pads.

I used a Ridge line under the tarp for the extra support with some reflective line I got off Amazon. I also replaced all of the factory lines with 10ft sections of this line as it was easier to tie and it locked down better when tied as the factory line started to slip under the rain and wind. I orginally had just tied down the corners of the tarp and redid it with a 6pt tie down as the wind did not stop all night. I went with 10ft sections so that I could tie down in most situations.
    I tried a few different ways for securing my tarp to the ridge line and will probably go with prestic knots with small clips for the future. my set up kept the rain out and Daisy and I enjoyed listening to the rain.

Due to the cold and not knowing how I was going to fair the night I took daisy home and had dinner with a few friends.

I was warm all night long with no problems. After the sun came up the Temps continued to drop and I didn't get cold until the fire went out in the morning after breakfast and I started packing up. To be fair it did go from 30deg at 8am to 26 with in 2 hrs. I learned alot from this and plan on taking my gear out to the back woods in the next month.

The Park has a few good hiking trails that are worth visiting with some good views. I like to because it's close and easy to get to from my house. I plan to try the 1 back country campground soon.

Let me know if you have any question or have any swith my gear setup.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Looks like a successful first attempt of hanging. By the way that is a great park

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 9231
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 Poly+End
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    +1 on this as a great location, especially if you have a group of Scouts and need a group rate.

• + New Posts