Hammeck Envy S
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 0Burrow/Incubtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Upper limit for 0* UQ

OK I just received my HG 0* Incubator in time for the nighttime temps to go up to the mid 50's. I have an Arrowhead New River 3 season that I would normally use but I'd really like to try out the new Incubator. The volume of the two seem about the same. So, I have slept on the ground in these temps and if I got too warm I just opened my sleeping bag to vent. I never thought that I was hot because the ground was holding my heat in. Shouldn't I be able to do the same by venting my TQ and then maybe loosening up the suspension a little on the Incubator?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never vented my underquilt, ever. If I want to vent, I'll vent on top. I've used a 0* Incubator with overnight lows of 70* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy S
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 0Burrow/Incubtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Awesome. Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. But now I just must ask you something else. I can understand that you have a 40* probably for weight and volume but if you can use your 0* for such a range why do you also have a 20*?

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've never vented my underquilt, ever. If I want to vent, I'll vent on top. I've used a 0* Incubator with overnight lows of 70* F.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
    Awesome. Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. But now I just must ask you something else. I can understand that you have a 40* probably for weight and volume but if you can use your 0* for such a range why do you also have a 20*?
    As far as temps go, I use a 10* F cushion. If the overnight low is 30* F, I'll take the 20* Phoenix. If the overnight low is 20* F, the 0* Incubator comes along, and if the overnight low is 50* F or higher, then I take the 40* Phoenix.

A 40* Phoenix weighs 11.37 ounces, whereas a 0* Incubator weighs 26.4 ounces. If daytime highs are in the 90s, the last thing I want to carry is an extra pound of under-insulation. Here in New Jersey, I use my 20* Phoenix and Burrow most of the time, because that's what the temps dictate. However, if I can get away with less insulation, I certainly will, and if I need more, I have that too.

This weekend I went out to the NJ Pine Barrens, a place that's notorious for rapidly dropping temperatures because the sandy soil just doesn't hold moisture well, doesn't hold heat well, and is isolated enough that there are no weather stations that can give an accurate reading. The Weather Channel told me I could expect overnight lows of 29* F or so, but I knew exactly what that meant: temps could be colder. Luckily, I brought my 0* quilts, because it hit 23* F, and I'd rather not use a 20* Phoenix and Burrow in those temps.

Also, since I'm a 56-year-old hiker (with a rebuilt left knee), I'd rather keep my pack weight down to a minimum. It is truly thrilling to me that I can now hike up to 22 miles in a day because I'm not carrying a bunch of insulation I don't need. Six years ago, I had a 60 lb. pack and couldn't hike more than 8 miles in a day (and it would take several days to recover). It makes a big difference.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy S
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 0Burrow/Incubtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah I used to carry 60 lb packs a long time ago. I turned 50 not long ago and decided to start backpacking again. Partly because I got a hammock. And I don't want to carry 60 lb packs anymore. So, that's why I've been investing in down UQ, TQ's, lightweight packs, etc... I think i'll end up just adding a 40* UQ to my 0* and be happy with that.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yeah I used to carry 60 lb packs a long time ago. I turned 50 not long ago and decided to start backpacking again. Partly because I got a hammock. And I don't want to carry 60 lb packs anymore. So, that's why I've been investing in down UQ, TQ's, lightweight packs, etc... I think i'll end up just adding a 40* UQ to my 0* and be happy with that.
    Well, I use my 20* quilts 80% of the time, so the 40* and 0* quilts are a real luxury. I probably used my 0* quilts twice this year, and my 40* quilts 5 or 6 times - the rest of the time I've used the 20* quilts.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Awesome. Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. ...
    I can't sleep comfortably in my 0* Incubator once overnight temps are above freezing. If overnight temps remain in the 70's, my 20* will typically feel like I am too close to the fire. While I realize that is NOT what you want to hear, simply venting the topquilt is rarely effective for me. In fact, I can be too warm with no top cover at all. I also consider venting a "too warm" underquilt somewhat of a dance between too much and not enough venting. If I choose the wrong quilt, Ill be up frequently to fine-tune the venting.

Capt'n Paul, I hope you get the experience you desire. Just adding my experience so the next guy looking here for guidance has a counter-point to consider.

Good Luck

PS: Like SS above- I find that my 20* Incubator is frequently the most appropriate. When asked, I always suggest a 20* underquilt be the first quilt obtained.
    Last edited by OCDave; 03-07-2016 at 23:29.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I can't sleep comfortably in my 0* Incubator once overnight temps are above freezing. If overnight temps remain in the 70's, my 20* will typically feel like I am too close to the fire. While I realize that is NOT what you want to hear, simply venting the topquilt is rarely effective for me. In fact, I can be too warm with no top cover at all. I also consider venting a "too warm" underquilt somewhat of a dance between too much and not enough venting. If I choose the wrong quilt, Ill be up frequently to fine-tune the venting.

Capt'n Paul, I hope you get the experience you desire. Just adding my experience so the next guy looking here for guidance has a counter-point to consider.

Good Luck

PS: Like SS above- I find that my 20* Incubator is frequently the most appropriate. When asked, I always suggest a 20* underquilt be the first quilt obtained.
    Of my three kids, only one is hot-blooded. If temps are going to be in the 20s, he insists on using my 40* quilts. The other two kids don't have any problems with underquilts and don't vent them. I can give them 0* or 20* quilts in 70* F temps and they're fine. So I can see OCDave's point - it is totally dependent on the person.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I slept in my basement last night with my 0° Incubator since it's all I had (I just sold my 20° which I am replacing with another 20° soon). It's about 65° down there and I was fine. A little warm on my upper back, so I just reached back and pulled the Linelocs which let out tension on the secondary suspension. Perfect.

Well, I use my 20* quilts 80% of the time, so the 40* and 0* quilts are a real luxury. I probably used my 0* quilts twice this year, and my 40* quilts 5 or 6 times - the rest of the time I've used the 20* quilts.
    I used my 0° set a few nights this winter. $600. I hate you El Nino.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    If you can only afford one quilt set, go with one that covers your coldest expected temperature. If you get too warm, stick a leg out, sleep on top, vent it, or whatever...

Eventually, like many of the others, you'll have an arsenal of quilts to choose from. Then you can choose one that's just right for the conditions of the day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast