DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies

Singer model 15??

Is a singer model 15 a good sewing machine? It doesn't have a power cord. So I would have to find that also.

Ive been using a project runway machine, and hoping to use something better.
    ScoutMaster / CubMaster Danny
    http://scoutersadventures.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If it's a late model such as the 15-90 (external belt drive motor) or 15-91 (with the potted motor), then it'll be a good, robust straight stitch machine suitable for gear making provided it's in decent shape. IIRC, earlier model 15’s didn't have reverse. These machines can often be brought back to working order even after years of neglect. Aside from the power cord, what's the machine's condition?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    One caution to consider... What do you use the machine for? If you are just making gear an old Singer like the 15 series is more than adequate even without a reverse. The workaround for no reverse is simplicity itself and once you get the hang of it it is almost as fast as pushing the reverse button. If, on the other hand, you are doing more advanced sewing you may find yourself hampered by the old straight stitch/zig zag only machines. Some of the more modern technical fabrics like stretch fabrics and double knits sew best with more modern stitches styles. If you expect to stay in the normal woven type fabrics the Singer 15 series will be fine.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies
    You guys are too technical for me.
    I don't know anything about fabric! or Sewing machines. I just want something to make scouting gear on and saw this machine listed for $60. It looks in great shape.....................

I cant find the post anymore, it must be gone......

I use a project runway cheap walmart machine now, I do "ok" with it, not to great really. Just wanted something that may do a better job, of corse it could be my skill level.....

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyvp View Post
    You guys are too technical for me.
    I don't know anything about fabric! or Sewing machines. I just want something to make scouting gear on and saw this machine listed for $60. It looks in great shape.....................

I cant find the post anymore, it must be gone......

I use a project runway cheap walmart machine now, I do "ok" with it, not to great really. Just wanted something that may do a better job, of corse it could be my skill level.....
    Some people get along fine with the cheap Wally World machines. Not my first choice... but you already have it. Rather than drop a bunch of money on another machine, which won't do you any better if it is your skill level, invest in raising that skill level. Look around and find someplace you can take some lessons. IIRC Joanns will offer lessons from time to time. Other places are community resources like Adult Ed learning centers. Lessons are not usually too pricey and you will get enough information to know if another machine will be of value or not.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My local community college offers adult education classes and one of them was a intro sewing class. I was the first male student. Learned lots of basic stuff
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    the wally world machine may be fine esppecially for learning and doing light work. I dont think you could run tree straps thru it without issue, but maybe. The onlder machines, once running, are hard to damage. A little oil, maybe a check of the feed dogs for lint and a way we go. I would say they do a bit better with a new foot pedal and wires (if original). If its in running condition 50-75 is a fair price for a machine. The more it needs the lower I would bargain. If you are unsure of what it needs consult a local repair shop and see how much they will charge to tune it. Figure that into the price. Usually as rev mentioned they will also offer classes or at the very least show you how the machine works.

In the end, posting questions on this forum or other sewing specific, youtube and a little research you can find just about anything. It helps to stick with brands that were more popular back then. Singer for example still has many parts for sale even for machine 60-70 years ago and more.

I would also suggest asking your older relatives, neighbors and such. Many of them have machines they have not used in years. You could walk away with a free machine, lessons and a new found helper to get started.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies
    My older relative happens to have a machine that she couldn't lift to take out of the garage soooooo I told her I would help her remove it in the next couple days. ill let you know what I show up with.
    I may look into some classes, if I don't feel like a dolt taking them.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyvp View Post
    My older relative happens to have a machine that she couldn't lift to take out of the garage soooooo I told her I would help her remove it in the next couple days. ill let you know what I show up with.
    I may look into some classes, if I don't feel like a dolt taking them.
    Not sure your age, but get ready for some curious looks. Everytime I talk about sewing or my machines and such I get odd looks from older ladies. I even went into my local shop and started talking to the owner when 2 older ladies came to talk to me because they thought I was kidding. I have a 1948 singer 15-91 in almost perfect shape as a result of that talk. The ladies I spoke to bought the machine in a table she needed but didnt want the machine.

Now I take pride in being able to saw I can sew. I have made costumes for my son and daughter, sew patches for the scouts and of course make gear for those that need me to. Last camp out someone came to our site and noticed my friends tarp, hammock, and uq. when he said I made it the people laughed. Then came over and asked me if I could make something for them.

All this and before I got my first machine I knew absolutely squat about sewing, machines, repairing them and all the other things I can now do in the diy world. Good luck

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies
    Here's what I got.
    I don't know anything about it. other than its old and smell like grandmas house.

• + New Posts