Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware Halfwit
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest Guide

What tarp to get?

I have a Dutchware halfwit hammock and I'm looking at tarps for it. I currently own an aqua quest guide sil size medium from my ground camping days, which is a rectangular tarp. I have set it up and it provides reasonable coverage, but I have heard a lot about rectangular tarps not staying taut. Also, it doesn't pitch very low and I am concerned about rain potentially coming underneath. Plus, it takes me a very long time to set up because there is a LOT of adjusting involved in order to get a decent pitch.
    So, although I'll use it for now, I will definitely get a new tarp within the next several months.
    What I want: To stay dry, and protected from wind. I would like something light, but cuben is out of my price range. Not sure whether or not to go with doors, but I DO NOT want to get wet.
    Any suggestions? I am currently looking at a few hex tarps as well as some winter tarps, but would an asym or diamond cut it for the summer?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I bought a superfly as my first tarp and I like everything about it.

The only time I think of buying something different is a minimalist cuben for summer,but still haven't done it.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I would suggest doing a search for similar threads. I am sure there are tons and you will learn everything and more that you need to. Try searching google what tarp to buy site:hammockforums.net., and similar key phrases

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    My first tarp was an asym I made. It works...... mainly a fair weather thing for me though.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    I would suggest a winter tarp with doors (permanent or removable), since you live in Vermont. Many good choices here.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    my full coverage tarp is the Old Man Winter from Wilderness Logics.
    OMW has more than ample coverage from all the elements and is my goto tarp. If I could only have one tarp, the OMW would definitely be the tarp.
    There are lots of options and add on's available.
    Wilderness Logics tarps are so good that Dutch sells the TadPole by WL on his sight.
    Truly Great tarps!

http://wildernesslogics.com/TAD-POLE-Tad-Pole.htm

This

OR if you have a thread injector and MYOG skills

http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/winter12-tarp-kit

This in silpoly for the extra coverage

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If you don't go with doors, then site selection is key to keeping wind from tunneling through your setup end to end. Plan it right, and you should only need one side down to block wind - the other I typically keep in porch mode. Different strokes, of course, but one of the things I love most about hanging is having a wide open view from the hammock, including watching it rain. Only once in the 8 years or so that I've had my Toxaway have I felt a need to hunker down due to wind, and that was when Sandy came through (didn't realize how far her arms would extend).

And it is for that reason that I recently have been using a diamond tarp. Less weight and bulk, fewer stakes/lines, very adequate coverage. If you're in the backwoods, you mostly only get straight down rain. If you're in a campground or edge of the woods, or of course, an exposed site then doors are pretty key to keeping wind from ruining your trip. THAT is the biggest thing to worry about, not getting wet, though an UQP is recommended to keep it dry.

So, my recommendation, assuming you don't know exactly what you want is to go with the Warbonnet Superfly. The tadpole is great but a slightly smaller hex and only optional doors that make the price the same as the SF. If you're ok with site selection as your first line of defense, then the tadpole is a little better value than the MambaJamba. If you ever get comfy enough to go with a diamond tarp, you'll be able to see either of those with more than enough funds from the sale to get the diamond.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Site selection has never worked for me (nor have diamond tarps) - there's an assumption that wind only comes from one direction and you can set your tarp up to block the wind and blowing rain from that direction. Where I live in a coastal area, the winds are too variable for site selection to have much of an effect. Also, when I'm hiking on the AT, campsites are usually on top of a mountain and the winds are definitely variable up there. They shift many times a night, and all the site selection preparation isn't going to change that.

Of course, there are some areas where the wind comes from the same direction 80% of the time or more. If you live in that kind of place, then site selection and a skimpier tarp might work.

I use an HG Winter Palace with doors - no site selection required. If I could not afford cuben fiber, I'd get a Warbonnet Superfly. That will keep you dry no matter which direction the wind is blowing from.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    I have Warbonnet Superfly. Never been disappointed. Probably be buying another tarp which will be Wilderness Logic Tadpole.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast