Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches

Full time hangers, how do you keep your top insulation in place?

I'm starting out as a full-time hanger -- three weeks in -- and I'm loving it. After an iffy first few days, my sleep has become more restful and my back and neck have felt better than they have in years. But I've got some limitations most don't and I'm encountering an unanticipated complication.

First, the limitations: Due to my weight (I'm 5'5" and 320#), I had to go to a geodesic structure to bear me. The top bar of the Turtlelady stand we built bowed way upward (yikes!) the one time I tried it. I had edgedome build me a custom structure a little smaller than their usual 10' footprint so it would fit in my apartment. So my hang length is 9'4", non-negotiable. That's plenty for my 10' Breezy. It wasn't quite enough for my 10' Blackbird, whose integral ridgeline hung slack enough to threaten to garrote me every morning.

In the Blackbird, I used regular blankets for insulation. I didn't have a sleeping bag that fit me, never having been a camper. I like some heft to my covers, and weight isn't an issue at home in the dome, so I used the wool blankies I already have and love. In the Blackbird, with its net tied off to my right, no problem. But the netting itself was a bit in the way, as was the ridgeline, so I got a Breezy for home use.

Double layer Hexon 2.4, plenty hefty, way comfy, beautiful blue. But it turns out, lacking the couple of inches of extra height on my foot side, I kick off my covers at night. Then cold.

I DIYed a sort of demi-topquilt -- or rather, Ewan did (thanks honey!). Sewed an old sheet onto one of my smaller wool blankets, offset toward the bottom so as to fold the sheet back up and seam the sides, making a full-width footbox. It helps. It seems to stay better than it did without the mod. But it's still chilly up here in Minnesota and the blanket I use above it, not modded, still dumps to the floor, leaving me cold enough to wake up.

I tried hanging a sheet from a ridgeline above me as an ozan or open-bottomed travel sock. Retained a little warmth, not much. Tonight I'm going to try doing that with a wider wool blanket.

So my questions for you full-time hangers, particularly those in cold regions: How do you keep your top insulation in the hammock, where it does you good? Do you use camping gear full-time indoors? Have you made mods to regular bedding to make it serve?

I appreciate any and all ideas!

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've never been able to get regular bedding to work for me in a gathered-end hammock so I use my 40F topquilt when sleeping in one at home. With my bridge hammock I don't have any problem with regular blankets.

One thing you could try is wrapping the blanket you use on top around the foot end of the hammock and clipping it to itself so it can't slip off or slide down the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg 10 UL
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Unlike in beds, I tend to move less in a hammock, so I just use a light unzipped sleeping bag (10*C) and tuck in the ends under my back and shoulders. In 4/5 night it stays there and the fifth I may have to just pick it up once during the night.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk ultralight
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfiters
    Insulation
    15 deg. Bag and UQ
    Suspension
    Daisychain / biner
    Images
    I don't do anything and it seems to be fine. you could sew some grosgrain ribbon on both sides of the top and run shock cord to the top of your hammock above your head.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    steal the design form a regular quilt and use the top snap around the neck also

full time hammock sleeper use a snap box TQ for winter and just a fleece sheet in summer but want to make a custom fleece for this summer with a bit more foot box shape but not to deep so I can my toes out
    my main reason just so its a bit quicker to get in to the thing I don't have falling off issues myself

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches
    Thanks folks! I have some new approaches to try.

Also thinking of getting some Hexon & making myself a naval style hammock.

• + New Posts