Tarp
    HG Std w/Doors
    Insulation
    HG/WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Intimidator is right, I used Dynaglide.
    Sweet. So, how did you calculate the length of your dog bones? I use an 11' hammock and 11' tarp and am trying to figure out how long to make them.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    C Pepper, Wht Clou
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Very nifty setup and great video explanation.

Amazing. I need to get on this!

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snugs View Post
    Sweet. So, how did you calculate the length of your dog bones? I use an 11' hammock and 11' tarp and am trying to figure out how long to make them.
    The best way to do it is to tie some line from the hammock to the cinch buckles at the amount of hammock sag you like. I used the 30-degree principle. AFTER that measure the line. It doesn't have to be perfect I don't think ,just close to it.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    DIY/ Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Std w/Doors
    Insulation
    HG/WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    The best way to do it is to tie some line from the hammock to the cinch buckles at the amount of hammock sag you like. I used the 30-degree principle. AFTER that measure the line. It doesn't have to be perfect I don't think ,just close to it.
    Awesome, thanks for posting this!

Nicely done. I'd like to figure out how to do this with my Ridge Runner and cuben fiber tarp

Hammock
    Half-Wit by Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Cuben with Door
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    It took me forever to find the time to make this system out, but now that it's done I couldn't be happier. I basically did the same thing as Jaxx. I used Dutch's Ti cinch buckles, rigged a continuos loop with whoopie hook to the cinch buckle and a dog bone from the whoopie hook to the hammock. I also took some zing it looped it onto the cinch buckle and on the other end I have a Stingerz that hook to the tarp. I have to say I've been trying to figure how to rig everything as one and I couldn't be more thankful for the idea, it works flawlessly. Again thank you Jaxx.

P.S.
    One thing I did notice, on my HG Cuben tarp with doors, is when I would sit in the hammock the tarp would not stay completely taught. Easy fix, I hooked shock cord to the guy line tie outs, like you would a sil tarp, and it worked perfectly.

I also did a ultralight version that works in the same manor, like grapenut, but I'm really waiting on Dutch to release the speed hook before I go that route. I really just don't trust the hammock anchors.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Tanks for the videos
    They have pushed me ahead so now I will be making my own version.
    It is not a light version and I may not be able to rig it as close to the trees as you can but nearly.
    As far as I can tell none of you guys have a ridge line under (or over the tarp). I will. The reason is I don’t have to think much about the 30° angles when setting it up + I sometimes use the ridge line for hanging stuff including my hammock when the UQ is attached. I simply tie it up to the ridge line if I need the space under the trap if it’s raining. I haven’t made anything yet but I ordered some bling from Dutch today.
    My ridge line will be a dog bone a bit longer than the tarp and it will eliminate any danger for a tarp rip no matter how I rig it + it will do the additional jobs I want it to do. In both ends I will add whoopie slings.
    The loops are easily connected. I know some will say you get knots on the lines. Yes I do but I have connected lines this way many times before and never had a problem + I have a trick. The whoopie slings and the short dog bones will be made from 7/64 (3mm) and you can easily fit a 2mm line inside (inside the loops). It makes them more robust and it will reduce the sharp bents in the knots a bit. It may not have the full strength but it will do.
    Setup.png
    I have used a somewhat similar setup at home for some of my hammocks because I can’t always obtain the 30° angle
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Tanks for the videos
    It is not a light version and I may not be able to rig it as close to the trees as you can but nearly.
    As far as I can tell none of you guys have a ridge line under (or over the tarp). I will. The reason is I don’t have to think much about the 30° angles when setting it up + I sometimes use the ridge line for hanging stuff including my hammock when the UQ is attached. I simply tie it up to the ridge line if I need the space under the trap if it’s raining. I haven’t made anything yet but I ordered some bling from Dutch today.
    My ridge line will be a dog bone a bit longer than the tarp and it will eliminate any danger for a tarp rip no matter how I rig it + it will do the additional jobs I want it to do. In both ends I will add whoopie slings.
    The loops are easily connected. I know some will say you get knots on the lines. Yes I do but I have connected lines this way many times before and never had a problem + I have a trick. The whoopie slings and the short dog bones will be made from 7/64 (3mm) and you can easily fit a 2mm line inside (inside the loops). It makes them more robust and it will reduce the sharp bents in the knots a bit. It may not have the full strength but it will do.
    Setup.png
    I have used a somewhat similar setup at home for some of my hammocks because I can’t always obtain the 30° angle
    Sounds like a solid idea. Let me know how it turns out .
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Jaxx, thanks for the awesome idea dude! You're a genius. Really enjoying your videos too, count me as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Tanks for the videos
    Setup.png
    Inspired by Jaxx, I actually spent the last few days making my own version of this (arrived at pretty much the same design as you bizarrely!) and it works really well! It's like having a second structural ridgeline which helps get the perfect hang angle regardless of how you hang everything. This is handy for moments when the environment doesn't offer enough options and it has the added bonus of working as a widowmaker breaker should something heavyish fall on you in the middle of the night. Also, I often sleep out with no tarp attached but keep a ridgeline up so if it does start raining, it's easy to jump out and clip my tarp on without worrying about having the angle wrong and accidentally ripping it. All in all, really impressed with it. But I also found this setup is a bit more fiddly than Jaxx's original. Bear in mind that I used cinch buckles and straps as opposed to whoopie slings, but the rest of the design is pretty much identical to yours. Here's a few things I learned today while testing:

1. Make sure you have guy line tensioners on all the tie outs of your tarp (including at least one of the ridgeline tie outs). As you get in, sometimes the whole structure will sag a bit if you don't have the angle quite right. With tensioners, your tarp remains pulled tight. I did this with doubled up shock cord loops (about 4" long) with one end prussic'd to the guy line and the other looped through the tarp's eyelet. Works well so far and provides more than enough flexibility for all the potential sag.

2. Try to keep the tarp ridgeline / dog bone as short as possible while still able to fully accommodate the tarp. The more the excess at each end, the lower your hammock will hang from the tarp when you are in it. This might not be an issue with larger tarps, but with smaller ones (like the asymmetric one Jaxx and I use), that extra bit of drop will put you in the firing line for crosswind rain gusts. In my first prototype, the tarp ridgeline was two inches too long and as a result, when I put my weight on the hammock, the hammock dropped way below the tarp and the hammock ended up getting rained on quite badly.

3. I ended up using custom length amsteel continuous loops with Dutch Whoopie Hooks spliced on (instead of dogbones) to attach my hammock to the rig. The reason for this was I found it difficult to get dogbones with a length of bury I was happy with and I also couldn't easily splice a Whoopie Hook onto a dogbone. I attached these long continuous loops directly to the cinch buckles rather than to the hammock (leaving the original continuous loops lark's headed to the hammock's whipping). This means I can clip any gathered end 11' hammock with continuous loops into the setup really easily, making the setup very versatile. The loops have slightly different lengths at the head and foot ends to get the right lay, so these are colour coded and fixed permanently to the ridgeline. (Jaxx, on a sidenote, is the bury length why you used dyneema instead of amsteel for your dogbones? I nearly went that route but didn't trust the weight rating for the zingit I've got lying around! How are you finding them?)

4. For the continuous loops (the custom length ones that attach the hammock to the suspension), I have found that they need to be surprisingly precise in measurement when using an integrated tarp ridgeline in this setup. If you get them too short, they make the tarp ridgeline / dogbone slacken when you put weight in the hammock, dropping the tarp and making it sag. Too long, and the hammock's structural ridgeline will slacken, the lay will be too saggy and the tarp will end up much higher than the hammock. Ideally, you want them just long enough to keep the hammock's structural ridgeline relatively taught, but not super tight like a guitar string. If you can twist it a bit, then the loops are the right length.

I'll try to post a few pictures. So far, this is the quickest and most versatile hammock suspension I've used to date, so thank you again for the great ideas Jaxx!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast