Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

Hexon comparison?

Ok, I have pretty much decided my next hammock will be a Dutch Hexon 11 ft, single layer, with continuous loops hung directly on spiders on webbing, either Hexon 1.0 or 1.6. Having trouble pulling the trigger on fabric weight. (also color, but that is a separate question). I have scanned the forums and there have been several posts on this topic, but most end up being "it depends on whether you like a firm or soft hammock." I guess I don't have a good basis for comparison and am not sure which I like. I have never really had a bad night's sleep in a hammock. (I think that probably means I will be ok with either choice, but I like to research stuff before I make a choice) I am 5'11", 190 lbs. I saw on one of the posts that Dutch is about 210 lbs and uses a 1.0. I think the Hexon half-wit Shug has is a 1.6, and he seems to be about the same size as me.

I thought maybe I could post the hammocks I currently have or have used in the past and see if someone could compare a Hexon 1.0 and 1.6 to what I know.

Hennessy - It is pretty old, I am not even sure if it is an expedition. Was there one before that? Anyway, it is pretty cramped inside and my least favorite.

Blackbird 1.1 DL - This is my main hammock. I bought it DL before I got quilts, but have always slept well in it.

Yukon - Parachute fabric? I got it on Whoot to try out a netless. Seems heavy and has a lot of floppy fabric, but I slept ok in it. If I remember, it seemed pretty stretchy.

Simply Light Designs Streamliner - 10ft, sl - I had this made from Argon 1.6. I have only used this once. I slept well. I didn't like the cat cuts as much as I thought I would, but the fabric felt nice. Since I only have one night in it, I don't quite have a good memory of how much it sagged, etc....

I might be over thinking this, I usually do, but I thought I would see if anyone would chime in. Probably the easiest thing is for me to shoot Dutch a PM and get whatever he says I should. I am pretty sure I will love it either way. Thanks in advance.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

I have a Half-Wit 1.6 Hexon and it is just perfect! I'm 6,3 230 pounds

I had a hard time to choose between the 2.4 and the 1.6, I decided to go with the lighter one and I'm very happy with my choice.
    I also have a DD hammock, I'm using it at home in the backyard and in the basement, it's double layer and it's firm, no stretch at all.
    I prefer my Hexon 1.6, way more confortable!

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I make plenty of hexon 1.0 hammocks and they are great.
    There is a rating of 250lb but this is very conservative.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    I make plenty of hexon 1.0 hammocks and they are great.
    There is a rating of 250lb but this is very conservative.
    I know I'm wayyy over the 250 lb limit, however, I've been toying with the idea of ordering a 1.0 hexon anyway just for backpacking. From what I've seen of the material I think it would hold me... I hope.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Thanks for the opinions. I am leaning towards the 1.0. I don't really need to shave a bunch of ounces, so the 1.6 would work, I am just gambling on the fact the lighter fabric will be like a cradle of soft goodness. (that and the fact that Dutch uses a 1.0)
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

• + New Posts