Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    1.6oz hyperD DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Continuous loop with a knot

Hi everyone, it's my first time participating in the forum. I'm a huge fan of the site and I'm always looking up questions about hammocks that I find on the forums. I have a question for other DIYers. I don't know how to splice. Between trying things out myself and reading what other people have done, I've come to the conclusion that a triple fisherman's knot is the best way to make a "continuous loop" out of 1/8 inch amsteel. On top of that, I sew a couple of non-load bearing stitches to make the remaining ends from the knots look nicer, that way I don't have any tails snagging or unravelling; you guys know how easily braided amsteel unravels.

So here's my question, has anyone ever done or used this method? Its it recomendable, dangerous or any adjetive I'm just not thinking about? I appreciate the feedback.

-Joel

I know that the knot de-rates the strength of the Amsteel, but I can't tell you how much. The CL would be much stronger. Also, having overcome my initial hesitancy to learning how to splice Amsteel, I would say that splicing a CL actually sounds easier and faster to me than tying fisherman's knots and stitching. By a fair bit.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Warbonnet hammocks used to come with continuous loops made with double (of triple) fisherman's knots. Don't know if they still do put that is still a lot of hammocks using them. I do recall one post years ago where someone mentioned their CL fisherman's knot slipped but that's all I can remember. Even though I can splice I have no problems using a CL made with double fisherman's knots. Knots decrease the strength in amsteel but I'm fine with it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I have not tried to make a CL from Amsteel using a triple fisherman's knot, so no personal experience here.
    I wouldn't recommend it as I would recommend splicing a CL in Amsteel.
    It would only be dangerous if you overloaded it or it slipped. Knots take a significant portion of the strength of any rope; this is worse with Amsteel and all ropes made with similar fibers. These ropes are very strong along their axis but the fibers separate and fail when turned around a small radius. I would say build and test your CL's to well in excess of your intended usage.

For what it's worth, splicing Amsteel is easy, a good skill to have, and fun too.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The manufacturer of Amsteel generally encourages spliciing since knots can derate the rope, in some instances up to 80 percent. It doesn't take much to learn how to splice and it's kind of fun. Personally, I'd take the manufacturer's advice and splice. There's really no valid reason to buy Amsteel if you want to use knots.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Fear not the splice! It's so easy once you learn it that you'll be making CLs in front of the TV!

Images
    Yep knots work best with ropes that have a sheath like climbing rope. There are also good knots to use w webbing. Both of which are plenty strong.

OR

Also 8" finished length might get the job done but why DIY if you merely want to meet minimums????
    15"+.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    I made a couple of Amsteel 7/64ths loops last night, at 5.5 and 6.5 inches. Super easy to make and perfect for the gathered end of the hammock, in case my hang distance is really short and I can't use my UCR's to the tree straps.

Hammock
    1.6oz hyperD DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been super hesitant to learning how to splice, just because it seems hard, but you're all right. I have read that triple fisherman's slip less than double, but that doesn't overcome the strength loss part of the knot. It's what I use in my hammocks as of know, and I've probably make around 8 or 9 hammocks, but I should definitely learn. I use 30 inches per 8 inch loop. I think I might save some rope too. Thanks guys

-Joel

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I've got several hundred night's comfy safe sleep using 7/64ths amsteel with fisherman's knots on a WBBB.
    That said, every continuous loop I've made since then has been spliced.

Splicing is oddly relaxing once you get started. You are a little anxious at first making sure you have all the details covered and knowing that it will be holding you off the ground. Next thing you know you're splicing at the dinner or breakfast table with a cup of coffee and something on the radio. It's actually kind of fun in a geeky hammocking diy kind of way.

Try it, you won't regret it.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast