Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I grew up around boats and have been splicing rope since I was 12.
    Compared with throwing a buried-end eye in three-strand twist, tossing off a CL or Whoopie in hollow strand line is childsplay.
    What is the same is the immense satisfaction of having your gear look and work its best.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm not against splicing, but all my CLs are with double fishermen's knots.

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Splicing is oddly relaxing once you get started. You are a little anxious at first making sure you have all the details covered and knowing that it will be holding you off the ground. Next thing you know you're splicing at the dinner or breakfast table with a cup of coffee and something on the radio. It's actually kind of fun in a geeky hammocking diy kind of way.

It really is relaxing once you get a few under your belt. And a bit addicting. I find myself finding excuses to make CL, whoopies, and dogbones. I use the fisherman knots in the field if something fails, but I'd really recommend trying the splice route.
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I had found several YouTube videos showing how to splice Amsteel, but the technique that I found easiest was a combination of using the #5 knitting needle and an 18 ga. piece of suspended ceiling hanging wire.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Kakoon
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    I had found several YouTube videos showing how to splice Amsteel, but the technique that I found easiest was a combination of using the #5 knitting needle and an 18 ga. piece of suspended ceiling hanging wire.
    I looked around my house for a LONG time before I found what I consider my "perfect" splicing tool... I had some old CAT5 cable sitting around... I cut it apart and use one of the wires - works perfectly. I've never had an issue making my UCRs, Dog bones, and several soft shackles.

+1 on the addicting portion. When I pull out my box of amsteel, my better half rolls her eyes

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello. My name is Pyrogen and it has been 15 hours since the last time I fiddled with AmSteel.

Something magical about making super strong, neat, knot free dogbones, continuous loops, and whoopies. I'm constantly thinking about how I can rig up this-or-that.. The wife wants some AmSteel dog leashes. I told her my Weiner dog doesn't weigh but a menial fraction of what AmSteel is capable of holding.

For what it's worth, I've taken some utility wire and bent it in half, and took to it with some fine sand paper (800 grit?) to smooth it over. It works very well as a splicing tool. It's just dull enough that it doesn't try and accidentally slip out when running through the center for whoopies, and just stiff enough (yet flexible) to work into tight spots. Short of a proper tool, I'm happy with the results.

Hammock
    1.6oz hyperD DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    So I took the plunge and got a dritz loop turner that I'm using to splice. It's also great for pulling the continuous loop through the hammock channel. I used to larks head my loops to cinch buckles and now I'm splicing them straight on (5 turns for 1/8 amsteel, in case anyone's wondering). It's addictive. I also made a ridgeline for my hammock. It's addicting... DIY-ers, beware! I wanna make woopies and other things too, I just don't need them! What a problem

Joel

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joelisaacgasser View Post
    So I took the plunge and got a dritz loop turner that I'm using to splice. It's also great for pulling the continuous loop through the hammock channel. I used to larks head my loops to cinch buckles and now I'm splicing them straight on (5 turns for 1/8 amsteel, in case anyone's wondering). It's addictive. I also made a ridgeline for my hammock. It's addicting... DIY-ers, beware! I wanna make woopies and other things too, I just don't need them! What a problem

Joel
    Need em? Probably not. Have fun making them? Definitely. I just switched from cinch buckles back to whoopies a couple months ago. I had ordered some amsteel in black and orange from Dutch and wad looking for an excuse to use it. Also made a cl not because I needed ( another ) one but because it's fun. Did find use for the dog bone i always carry when camping a couple of weeks ago. Not enough zing it on my tarp tie out to make it around tree and back to my stinger. Larksheaded a dog bone onto ridgeline tie out nd clipped stinger to other end and boom, i was in business.

You may not need the whoopie slings but you will have fun making them, and at less than .20 cents a foot it will be a cheap distraction.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Fear not the knot. Evans Starzinger, a respected name in knot testing and author of the Estar Hitch and Estar Stopper Knot, tested the triple fisherman knot in single braid Dyneema. He states clearly in the discussion at the International Guild of Knot Tyers forum: "Just for reference, the triple fisherman slips at 1840lbs."

Source with photo: http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4756.0

(Post number 8 on the page.)
    As I weigh less than an elephant, and the minimum strength (before derating because of a knot), according to Samson Rope, is 2300 pounds, I have full faith and confidence in trusting my hanging life support to this bend. Note also that Starzinger did not find that the derated cord broke at that tension but only slipped.

I use either the Triple Fisherman or two interlinked Estar Hitches, which Starzinger recommends as a non-slipping join for two Amsteel working ends. My weight is insignificant with either.

I do like splicing Amsteel and it's fun. I do like usable knots in Amsteel and they're fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123