Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My cinch buckles are square on the rope side. They don't look like this;

http://dutchwaregear.com/titanium-ci...ckle-pair.html

Also on the tree end and using the Dutch clips, should the clip be on the side of the tree sorta or directly in the middle of the tree. I've seen them used both ways. It seems like it would hold more if the clips were towards the side of the tree as the straps leave the tree on it's way to the hammock.

Yeah, that's the problem, I never even thought to manipulate the amsteel so that it is. I do have the regular cinch buckles.

Will do and thanks. My daughter, her boyfriend, and myself just got back from a camping trip. We are all using your hammocks and suspensions. My daughter's boyfriend weighs close to 250lbs. My daughter bought him one of yours made of Hexon 1.6 single layer. It was his first time and he liked it. Last camping trip he broke a heavy duty aluminum cot frame. He also got wet in his tent. He decided to join me and my daughter to elevate his perspective!
    We are all very happy with your gear and quick service.
    Last edited by Artfuldodger; 03-06-2016 at 09:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post

Also on the tree end and using the Dutch clips, should the clip be on the side of the tree sorta or directly in the middle of the tree. I've seen them used both ways. It seems like it would hold more if the clips were towards the side of the tree as the straps leave the tree on it's way to the hammock.

Watch this video from Dutch, set it like he did. When hugging the tree with your strap, it shoulds return from the tree to your hammock as straight as possible, so you don't apply unecessary pressure to the dutch clip

Hammock
    DIY Stretch Side, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti/flight jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I tested the new cinch buckles and webbing last night and did not notice any fraying. I am going to test it again this evening. So far so good. Dutch will stand behind his gear. He's first class.
    "Life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" John Wayne

Hammock
    DIY Stretch Side, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti/flight jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Straps fraying at Dutch clips and cinch buckles?

So I took a Sunday nap in my backyard setup. It consists of two 4x4's with a bamboo going across the top between the 2x4's for support. The bamboo is old and needed replacing so I threw some cushion underneath me just in case. It snapped and me and the hammock feel about a foot until the posts stopped me. (They are not in concrete just sleeves for easy removal). This caused my suspension to encounter extra force but upon inspection I haven't noticed fraying yet even after that. I will post after a few more hangs if I encounter fraying.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457303462.443257.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457303493.976848.jpg

right below my thumb is where it took the force of the drop. You can see a slight crease from where I slacked it up an inch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457303599.602467.jpg
    Last edited by Meekin; 03-06-2016 at 18:07. Reason: pics
    "Life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" John Wayne

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I have found that even when wrapping the amsteel 7 wraps around the cinch buckle it will want to shift since one side if the Amsteel is coming off the front of the buckle and one side is coming off the back. I have tried larks heading (2 times) and wrapping multiple turns. Seem to get the same result. Hust my experience.
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?
    www.geauxhammockgear.com

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    I'm having the same experience with the fraying. Ordered a new strap from Dutch and will see if it happens again. Hope not. It's a really easy to use system and that's why I like it. Watched the videos again to get any pointers that I may have missed.
    Take care,
    Al

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I haven't had a problem with the buckles, but the dutch clips are giving me nightmares, mostly noob stuff. When I try to hook them like in the video above I can't get the strap tight enough around the tree and when I sit in the hammock the strap slides down a couple inches. And somehow I put a hole in my wife's new hammock strap, the little hook on the end of the clip pierced the strap. Not sure how I managed it. Thinking about replacing them with carabiners eventually, everyone loves the clips but I guess they're not "my cup o' tea" so to speak.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    I haven't had a problem with the buckles, but the dutch clips are giving me nightmares, mostly noob stuff. When I try to hook them like in the video above I can't get the strap tight enough around the tree and when I sit in the hammock the strap slides down a couple inches. And somehow I put a hole in my wife's new hammock strap, the little hook on the end of the clip pierced the strap. Not sure how I managed it. Thinking about replacing them with carabiners eventually, everyone loves the clips but I guess they're not "my cup o' tea" so to speak.
    Exactly the reason I switched back to carabiners. I know it's taboo, as most are all gaga over Dutch's titanium, but I feel most of it has edges that are too unfinished for my liking. I realize that I am in the minority, and I'm OK with that.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast