Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Straps fraying at Dutch clips and cinch buckles?

I'm fairly new to hanging but love it by the way. Not a major problem but I noticed some minor strap fraying at my Dutch clips and at the cinch buckles. It's more noticeable at the cinch buckles. The strap doesn't stay straight in the buckle or in the Dutch clips.
    I'm so new at this that I don't know if this is normal. I weigh around 180 pounds. The whole hammock, straps, and buckles are from Dutchware Gear.
    I like the hammock. My daughter has one and her boyfriend just bought one of his new fabrics that holds more weight as he is a big fellow.
    Maybe I should try to melt the frayed part of the strap.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    It is not you, I just purchased a set from Dutch also and ended up on my azz when I tried them for the first time, it just destroyed the webbing. I sent him an email and he told me he had a bad batch and sent me some new ones. I have not had a chance to use the new ones yet but have a feeling same thing might happen. Think I might go back to straps and caribiners and just chalk it up to experience. Guess we will see.
    dam.jpg
    dam2.jpg
    If you don't like today,,you are gonna hate tomorrow.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
    I'm fairly new to hanging but love it by the way. Not a major problem but I noticed some minor strap fraying at my Dutch clips and at the cinch buckles. It's more noticeable at the cinch buckles. The strap doesn't stay straight in the buckle or in the Dutch clips.
    I'm so new at this that I don't know if this is normal. I weigh around 180 pounds. The whole hammock, straps, and buckles are from Dutchware Gear.
    I like the hammock. My daughter has one and her boyfriend just bought one of his new fabrics that holds more weight as he is a big fellow.
    Maybe I should try to melt the frayed part of the strap.
    I assume you have the regular cinch buckles. On those you have to make sure they are pulled straight and manipulate the amsteel so it is. If it doesn't pull straight it will slide a bit and harm the webbing.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick68 View Post
    It is not you, I just purchased a set from Dutch also and ended up on my azz when I tried them for the first time, it just destroyed the webbing. I sent him an email and he told me he had a bad batch and sent me some new ones. I have not had a chance to use the new ones yet but have a feeling same thing might happen. Think I might go back to straps and caribiners and just chalk it up to experience. Guess we will see.
    dam.jpg
    dam2.jpg
    Yup, same thing happened to me a few weeks ago on a new hammock I had ordered with the cinch buckle system. It takes an act of congress to get the webbing to stay straight enough in the cinch buckle for it not to twist sideways and mess up the webbing, especially when using a safety knot at the cinch buckle. I messed mine up the very first time I hung it. Frayed the line up really bad. In my opinion, the webbing material he uses is too soft which makes it too easy to twist when pressure is applied to it. Had to change it over to a different type of suspension. Keep in mind though... I'm about 320.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Mine frayed a little...and then dropped me to the ground. May be that I somehow got the strap in wrong but I don't see how...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY Stretch Side, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti/flight jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Just bought a set but haven't hung them up yet. Geez y'all got me wanting to test it over a mattress now. Has anyone had success lately?
    "Life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" John Wayne

I get my Half-Wit 2 weeks ago with cinch buckle and camo straps, 3 nights in it and no problem yet. 230 pounds here

Images

Angry

Bummer!!! I have Dutch straps in 1" poly and they started to fray after a handful of afternoon hangs. I am not running hardware except for a big carrabiner on one closed end. They are just fraying along the edge closer to the tree wrap than the sheet bend.

I have some webbing I found in the road years ago that seems to be better constructed. I want some more of that.

I dont want to fall! When was this so called bad batch? What should I do?
    Last edited by onetearless; 03-04-2016 at 00:45.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by onetearless View Post
    Bummer!!! I have Dutch straps in 1" poly and they started to fray after a handful of afternoon hangs. I am not running hardware except for a big carrabiner on one closed end. They are just fraying along the edge closer to the tree wrap than the sheet bend.

I have some webbing I found in the road years ago that seems to be better constructed. I want some more of that.

I dont want to fall! When was this so called bad batch? What should I do?
    My friend uses Dutch's cinch buckles also, however, he uses a stiffer webbing he got from somewhere. He hasn't had any problems. Another friend of mine bought her Dutch hammock with cinch buckes at the same time I did and her's also showed wear after one use. I'm going to replace her webbing with a stiffer webbing strap and see if that helps. After I saw what was happening to mine, I replaced my cinch buckle suspension with a whoopie.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch Side, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti/flight jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmark View Post
    . I'm going to replace her webbing with a stiffer webbing strap and see if that helps. After I saw what was happening to mine, I replaced my cinch buckle suspension with a whoopie.
    Does anyone know if any of the other cottage vendors on here offer a stiffer webbing? I'm getting ready to do a week on the AT and don't feel like taking a chance. The weight penalty vs performance is not worth it to me when it comes to my primary suspension.
    "Life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" John Wayne

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast