Hammock
    Dream-Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben W/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE UQ+LocoLibre TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DutchBling
    @sqidmark We make fun, but seriously, what do you normally eat out on the trail? I'm curious.
    Hang the good hang.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    So far I've primarily been a day hiker, but did spend a couple of overnight weekends on the AT in NJ last year. Last year was mostly about equipment shakedown and changes. I will get my wife to spend some nights in the woods with me this year, especially now that we've switched to hammocks.

Given that short duration, weight wasn't too much of a problem for me. I had pre-cooked bacon, hard boiled eggs, beef jerky, coconut wraps smeared with almond butter and coconut flakes, my favorite mix of nuts, coconut and dark chocolate. I did pick out a few commercial dehydrated meals that had short ingredient lists, sorry I don't recall them all off the top of my head. There were a couple that I thought were pretty good and one in particular that seemed to be about 90% salt, jamaican jerk sticks in my mind. I recall one curry meal from an outfit in Maine that was good. Potato soup, which could just be mixed in with something else. I had taken some powdered egg breakfasts, but found that when I got up I'd rather just pick up and go, eat on the run. I carried Larabar almond/chocolate turtles (but they've been priced to ridiculous since then). A banana, orange and grapes. Heaviest and most perishable stuff gets eaten first of course. I've also made dehydrated banana chips, orange and apple slices. Still have to perfect my methods for that though. I had filled a few tiny bottles with extra virgin olive oil to dump in with meals. I have some foil packets of tuna and salmon but was reluctant to open them in bear country, as that scent would likely travel pretty far. Too paranoid? For future trips of more than just a few days, we'd likely have to cut down or eliminate the heavier items, fresh fruits for example.

So pretty much the same type of things I eat at home. I have freezers full of grass fed beef from my brothers farm in ME, and we have our own eggs/chickens.

I'm hopeful that we'll be able to spend a week or two in the VA mountains this year. In the mean time we'll continue to refine/expand our selections.

<edit>Another thing we often sprinkle into meals while prepping is Dulce flakes. It's a seaweed that has 333% RDA of iodine per tablespoon. Go easy. My wife says it looks like dirt so that's what we call it.</edit>
    Last edited by sqidmark; 03-03-2016 at 15:09.

Hammock
    Eno CamoNest
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    Snugpak Blanket
    Suspension
    Circle Straps
    I agree with Rick. Soon Dutchware will a one-stop backpacking shop(if it isn't already)...
    Slowly swaying in a hammock is my version of a steady morphine drip, without the risk of renal failure.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72&quot;x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&amp;UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I will be the first to admit, being on any kind of self-imposed restrictive diet on the trail is somewhat masochistic. I'm a vegetarian, and have grumbled to myself many times about how much more convenient a little jerky would be than struggling to find creative sources of fat and protein for a prolonged trip. I don't have the same fear of tofu and TVP as some people. I cook with them a lot at home, but TVP takes a good long soak to soften up, and tofu is heavy! Any of the other "meat alternatives" are expensive or...less than delicious in my experience. Of course, it has been a while since I looked, so if anyone has pointers, I'm all ears!

For now it's peanut butter powder, dehydrated beans, and a few protein bars.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timsdl72 View Post
    Those mylar bags are available from a number of online vendors. Varying sizes and thicknesses. Sealing can be done with a specialized hot seal device or an iron or hair straightener. Amazon is a good place to start. 1 gallon size 7 mil thick are a very heavy duty variety sold by the lds store online for long term food stores.
    But they are not the kind you are supposed to pour boiling hot water into to re-hydrate and cook your food in. Packit Gourmet http://www.packitgourmet.com/ sell two kinds of food cooking bags. One kind you can put in boiling water to cook food and one kind you can pour boiling water into to cook the food (you should not use one kind for doing both). I don't like cooking food in any kind of plastic so I would prefer a foil bag like the main stream backpacking freeze dried meals use. You can get them in the far east but a small lot is thousands of bags. I would like to see Dutch buy in bulk and sell in small batches.

This is awesome news

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Orange
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like awesome news. Just started looking into making my own meals since I really shouldn't be eating dairy, grains, and a select few other items on the trail.

Images
    Dehydrated strawberry rhubarb pie
    Brunswick stew or burgoo
    Spam and pineapple
    Korean beef

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I am so glad to hear the excitement for this.
    Last edited by Dutch; 03-04-2016 at 08:03.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I am so glad to hear the e cigement for this.
    What does e cigment sound like when you hear it on a cold clear moon lit night in March?
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast