DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    IIRC its just alcohol being soaked into maltodextrin or some other carrier powder.
    In terms of sheer ABV% I think you'd be better off to find something along the lines of Everclear.
    Somewhere in this inquiry we cross a line between being a gram weenie and coming off desperate to get our fix and perhaps in need of a group meeting.

There's also the dehydrated beer kits. Maybe Dutch can carry those later. I assume that would take a whole new round of licensing.
    My wife and I actually made some of this at home with Everclear and some N-Zorbit - Food Grade Tapioca Maltodextrin (Amazon- 20 bucks) . The process was comical to say the least. To get just one shot of booze you would need to carry and absurd amount of powder. We laughed at the thought of someone spiking your drink with a just a teaspoon of this stuff. Total waste of money, but funny.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    I've read in the Ray Jardine's book that deep freezing kills all nutritional value of the food and would like to ask a food professional (The Dutch himself) if there's any truth to it? Did Mr Jardine got it wrong, or maybe he meant not the process itself, but practices of big "backpacking food" providers?

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    I've read in the Ray Jardine's book that deep freezing kills all nutritional value of the food and would like to ask a food professional (The Dutch himself) if there's any truth to it? Did Mr Jardine got it wrong, or maybe he meant not the process itself, but practices of big "backpacking food" providers?
    Lots of truth to that, unless you remove most of the water via dehydrating.
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Freezing destroys all the nutrients? That seems counter to what I learned when I worked in packaging. A quick search finds a lot of info similar to this:

Frozen fruits and vegetables retain their nutrients almost as well as their fresh counterparts, provided they are quick-frozen, packed in airtight containers and kept frozen during shipping and at the market. Any kind of processing destroys some vitamins. But fresh foods also lose vitamins, especially if they are not properly handled, or if they sit in the market or your refrigerator too long. If vegetables are quick-frozen on site immediately after harvesting, they may have more vitamins than fresh ones transported from distant states or other countries.

Frozen fruits, vegetables, meats and fish may or may not taste as good as fresh, but the difference in nutrition is slight—frozen foods will still have plenty of vitamins.
    http://www.berkeleywellness.com/heal.../freezing-food

I'm not a nutritionist, by any measure, but from what I "know", there is almost no difference in nutrition, if the freezing is done correctly.
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobopelican View Post
    I'm not a nutritionist, by any measure, but from what I "know", there is almost no difference in nutrition, if the freezing is done correctly.
    That's what I've always heard, from both credible sources and pretty much everyone else.

Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    When is the food coming?
    I'm Drunk as A Boiled Owl Harriet's left me and I think I've been called to Preach! FRANK WILSON

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    please dont put fleaz in the food!!! on second thought, i'll take some

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Can you change your name from Dutch to something along the lines of "charities for the needy" my wife is onto the name "Dutch" on our credit card bills

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lzeplin View Post
    When is the food coming?
    Why 2 weeks, of course

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    Here is the deal on freeze dried vs dehydrated food and the loss of nutrition. Freeze dried as the name suggest is dried while frozen and the cell structure is hardly changed at all. You lose the same amount of nutrients as freezing the food. Dehydrated is generally done with heat and heat will remove nutrients to a much larger degree that freezing. Also freeze dried food removes more of the water so it is much lighter but it is bulkier because the cell structure is still in tack. We are packaging up both and there is quite a different in bulk form freeze dried food and weight from dehydrated food which only removes about 80% of the water. Here is a great and short article...
    http://community.makeyourgear.com/20...food-is-dried/
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast