Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and

0 incubator or Phoenix

Somewhat new to hammock camping, never used an under quilt before. I just used my 0 burrow in my tent last weekend for the first time. Thinking about adding a zero under quilt. Only used a pad during the fall in the past. Wanting to get a quilt so I can use my hammock in colder weather. What are the goods and bads of the Phoenix and incubator? What do you guy prefer?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've got both the Phoenix 20* and the 0* Incubator. I always use a 10* cushion for temps, so if the expected low is 30* F, I'll take the 20* Phoenix. If the expected low is 20* F, I'll take the 0* Incubator. I do just fine with the Phoenix 20* for 80% of my hangs, but when it gets sub-20* F, I prefer a full-length quilt 'cause it keeps my feet warm.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    I started out with a Phoenix 20°, therm-a-rest neoair sit pad for the TQ footbox, and a square of reflectix for good measure. Took an hour to get my feet warm one morning when the temps were ~30° overnight. Bought an Incubator 20° and sold the Phoenix immediately. If you can get by with a 0° Phoenix, you must have to line the foot end of your hammock with asbestos to keep your heels from burning through.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    0°-20° weather is so much less forgiving than 30°+. I can deal with cool feet or anything else at 30, but when it gets really cold it's just miserable and you won't sleep. It's worth the extra 6oz, 6 OUNCES!!!, of insulation and bulk to guarantee a cozy warm cocoon the Incubator provides when it gets cold. I just don't like to skimp in the winter.

I still hate anything but a full length any other time, but if I had to make it work in 35°+ temps, I could probably get by with a Phoenix.

Just my opinion.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I still hate anything but a full length any other time, but if I had to make it work in 35°+ temps, I could probably get by with a Phoenix.

Just my opinion.
    Right. This is the kind of thing each person has to try out for themselves. Actually, for me, those extra ounces are a lot - but I've found out they are essential - for me.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Right. This is the kind of thing each person has to try out for themselves. Actually, for me, those extra ounces are a lot - but I've found out they are essential - for me.
    Same here. I'd rather carry 6oz less water and just camel up or filter it at another time instead of possibly worrying about 8 hours of bad sleep! Which in turn could affect not only your night but the next day or even the entire trip.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    30 ish seems to be my threshold for cold. I'm good with my Jarbidge in that 35-45 range. Any below that, than the Incubator gets put in the pack. Hmmmm,....maybe i should add some down draft collars to me Jarbidge.....hmmmm.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    The good about a Phoenix is the small size and weight. It covers what really is necessary. In really cold weather, a footpad is necessary, but that doesn't weigh much and can be used for more than one thing. If the pad worked for you, you might be able to adapt to the footpad easily.

I don't have one, since the whole footpad idea didn't seem to jive with my side to sometimes back to sometimes star shaped sleeping pattern. Yes, in a hammock. If I stayed on my back the entire night, I would have contemplated the phoenix much more for cold weather.

Full-Lengths are bulkier, and heavier, but there's no need for extra gear. You hang, ooze, and sleep. I have a full-length-for-me 0˚ UQ and have had such a good night's sleep with it, no matter what position I wake up in.

I would love to be able to be happy with a phoenix, since I am actually a bit of a gram weenie and love the design, but 0˚F is an area I felt insecure survival-wise (I'm a soloist); I even added a couple inches more than I really needed, just for the added security. I have no fear about staying warm with this thing.

People ask me what my one luxury item is.... This is it.
    Last edited by Singingcrowsings; 03-03-2016 at 17:19.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg 10 UL
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I don't think there is a universal answer to that one. I could probably be ok as I never freeze my legs and feet should be ok with a few extra pair of wool socks. But at zero it would be stretching it, even for me.
    I just now (like five minutes ago) ordered a Phoenix but a 20 as I usually don't go hammocking at much colder temps than that and it also lets me off the struggle with the footbox in my bb, we'll see in the future if it was the right choice....

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    I started out with a full length incubator out of fear of being cold. I later ordered a Phoenix and discovered it works about as well for me without the extra bulk in my pack. The Phoenix is now my "go to" UQ when backpacking. I actually just ordered a second Phoenix a few days ago in an extra wide width to cover my shoulders a little better (like I had ordered with my original Incubator). So far, using a small pad under my feet, I've had no problem staying warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast