Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incubator has a tendancy to accordian simce they are full length. Less fuss and fiddle with phoenix by nature of design. Shug seems to do pretty good with partial uqs. I usually zip a puff or rain shell over my footbox. 6 ozs is almost 1/2 btw. Thats almost a 2nd cook kit.

But in the end fiddle factor is my biggest gripe with geae and what i look for first and foremost, or lack there of. Phoenix seems more set it and forget it. Buy some down booties with the money youd spend on the upgrade and your feet can be warm all over camp vs. Just in your quilt

My .02

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I like the full length UQ. Actually I LOVE my Incubator 20!
    I don't go camping colder than 20° but I do camp in summer, I'm thinking that I'll buy an Incubator 40 before next summer.
    I'm not finding a problem with bulk or weight using a full length UQ, but others have to decide for themselves on that issue, I motorcycle camp and have a very large roll top duffel that I strap to the back of the bike - hiking would be a whole different kettle of fish!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Incubator has a tendancy to accordian simce they are full length. Less fuss and fiddle with phoenix by nature of design. Shug seems to do pretty good with partial uqs. I usually zip a puff or rain shell over my footbox. 6 ozs is almost 1/2 btw. Thats almost a 2nd cook kit.

But in the end fiddle factor is my biggest gripe with geae and what i look for first and foremost, or lack there of. Phoenix seems more set it and forget it. Buy some down booties with the money youd spend on the upgrade and your feet can be warm all over camp vs. Just in your quilt

My .02
    I'm always ready to reconsider. Especially if it means I get to buy more Hammock Gear! I've never had the accordion problem with an incubator. And I prefer to have my puffy where I can put it on easily. I like the bootie idea, though, but a quick search turns up the Western Mountaineering Flash Booties, which seem to weight six ounces. So there's no weight savings there. And, at $70, Phoenix+booties is actually more expensive than an Incubator. But, you do have warm feet around camp. Do you know of a lighter/cheaper pair of booties? Or are you a DIY guy?
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy S
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 0Burrow/Incubtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm pretty sure I just saw some at REI on clearance for like $20. You might check there or at least the website for clearance items. If I didn't already have some id have bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    I'm always ready to reconsider. Especially if it means I get to buy more Hammock Gear! I've never had the accordion problem with an incubator. And I prefer to have my puffy where I can put it on easily. I like the bootie idea, though, but a quick search turns up the Western Mountaineering Flash Booties, which seem to weight six ounces. So there's no weight savings there. And, at $70, Phoenix+booties is actually more expensive than an Incubator. But, you do have warm feet around camp. Do you know of a lighter/cheaper pair of booties? Or are you a DIY guy?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm going to throw a wrench in the gears by suggesting the Phincubator ! Yes it does exist. Combo of Phoenix and Incubator.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I went through this calculus last year - ended up getting 3/4 length - JRB Greylock 3

Slept in it to as low a 27 degrees no problem with a foot pad (I put my footpad in between double layer of hammock in area of footbox and all is well)

I have also since slept in full length UQ

I think I'm happy with less bulk but I need a footpad and so there is that

I'm not sure where I stand on this now - bit seem to work great for me so far (full length was borrowed and tried)...

I think it's not a huge difference but perhaps I lean toward the full length now - although I think the 3/4 UQ rated around 20 degrees will perhaps make a better warmer weather UQ than same rating in full length? Easier to vent and such?

I really have no idea if I would choose different if I had it to do over - it feels like I am splitting hairs perhaps - and mostly I just want both lol
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    I'm going to throw a wrench in the gears by suggesting the Phincubator ! Yes it does exist. Combo of Phoenix and Incubator.
    What's the average Phincubator length? 60"?
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    What's the average Phincubator length? 60"?
    66"

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    Singingcrowsings says,

"You hang, ooze, and sleep."

Exactly, the full length Quilt is so comfortable.
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12