Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks

Hammeck Stand using continuous loops?

I saw in the video the use of continuous loops, I have 11' hammocks, and warbonnet Caribbeans. what size continuous loops should I get???

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use the 8 inch personally.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Same here, 8 inch loops for me on all of my hammocks.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Just to be clear, 8 inches won't be long enough to reach from the gathered end of your hammock to the attachment points on the stand. I will find that information out for you, as I don't know it off-hand. It will vary depending on whether you have a 10 ft. or 11 ft. hammock (you said you have an 11 ft.), and whether you have the extension or not (which you do not). Hopefully I can have an answer shortly for you, but I may have to measure when I get home from work (my day job).
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by meckelangelo View Post
    Just to be clear, 8 inches won't be long enough to reach from the gathered end of your hammock to the attachment points on the stand. I will find that information out for you, as I don't know it off-hand. It will vary depending on whether you have a 10 ft. or 11 ft. hammock (you said you have an 11 ft.), and whether you have the extension or not (which you do not). Hopefully I can have an answer shortly for you, but I may have to measure when I get home from work (my day job).
    Thank you kindly. I want to add the right lenght loops and biners to the hardware bag (I use continuous loops off the ends of my hammock and attack them to Dutch whoopie hook suspension).

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by BilliardPete View Post
    Thank you kindly. I want to add the right lenght loops and biners to the hardware bag (I use continuous loops off the ends of my hammock and attack them to Dutch whoopie hook suspension).
    No problem. In the meantime, might I suggest considering shorter whoopie slings instead of continuous loops? This will give you the option of adjusting, if you find you need to raise or lower one end. Additionally, depending on the adjustability you go with, you might be able to use them with a shorter hammock, should the need arise.

I don't actually know the optimal length of whoopie for this purpose, but I'm going to do some math to figure it out! I think it's something that a lot of people would find value in knowing.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    UPDATED WITH ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS...

The distance between the end of your hammock and the end of the stand will be somewhere around 18 to 20 inches (depending on desired hang height). The 8-inch continuous loop in the end of your hammock will probably consume about 5 or 6 of those inches (depending on SL vs. DL and fabric weight, since it is larksheaded through the channel). Also, your biner will take up some of that distance. When you larkshead the stand continuous loop around the end, you will consume about 6 inches of the length of it in that process, so we need to account for that, as well.

The math looks like this; gap length MINUS hammock continuous loop length (not the full length, but the length it extends from the end of the hammock) MINUS hardware/biner length PLUS stand larkshead allowance.
    So...
    (18 to 20) - (5 to 6) - (2?) + (6) = 16 to 19 inches

This is very specific to a standard stand (no extension), 11 foot hammock with 83% ridgeline (110 inches), and 30-degree hang angle. At 30-degrees, some people may find that the hammock is higher off the ground than they would like, so that is something to keep in mind. You may want to increase the length of the loop a bit if you want the hammock to be closer to the ground, so maybe an inch. Additionally, the length of your hammock continuous loop will have an impact, so I suggest measuring how far it extends from the gathered end, as well as the length of your biner. As you can see from my calculations, it's going to be very hard to give an exact length.

As I suggested in a previous post, my inclination would be to go with a shorter whoopie sling, rather than a continuous loop. If you had one that adjusted from about 17 inches to about 34 inches, that would give you a lot of options. It'll be hard to go much shorter than 17 inches and still get acceptable buries, so you may have to look into reducing you continuous loop length, or dropping the carabiner for a Whoopie Hook. One option would be to splice the Whoopie Hook onto your continuous loops on the hammock, then have a set of short whoopie slings for the stand, and a set of standard whoopie slings for your normal suspension. Or, you could have two sets of Whoopie Hooks, one on each set of whoopie slings - whatever your preference may be.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by meckelangelo; 03-02-2016 at 11:41. Reason: UPDATED MEASUREMENTS

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Thanks for the info. I have some amsteel just waiting to be used...

• + New Posts