Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Not sure if you are trying to keep costs down or what but if you wanted to keep costs down and think you might need something under you for warmth I use a Snugpak underblanket. It has kept me very comfy to 35*F and could probably go lower. Price is around $50 and fits my Hennessy very nicely. So if it's a price issue and you want something that might fit that requirement you might want to look into one. They are a little heavier than the high dollar pieces but not too bad and with price, lots of it too, you can get light weight and warmth. But this will do the job.

Hammock
    Homemade Dual Layer
    Insulation
    Foam Padding
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I used a 40 inch evazote full length foam pad (pretty sure it is 1/4 inch thick) when I was hiking the AT and it was fine even through the smokies where it definitely dipped below freezing a time or two. I also carried an 3/4 air pad for the times where I couldn't (smokies) use a hammock or for hostels that just provided a slab or floor to sleep on. I started the trip with a prolite 3/4 but upgraded half way through to a neoair pad. I hate sleeping on the ground but with the foam pad doubled over the air pad I had a very comfortable bed when I was forced to sleep on the ground.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have an idea you are about to be schooled by experience. Nothing like a case of CBS to encourage a fellow to open up the wallet for a good nights sleep, eh? IMHO the 40* bag will not be sufficiently warm based on historic weather data. I have also found my Exped Downmat 7UL LW to work very well. However, I think I will be taking a Arrowhead Ridgecreek (specifically made for the WBRR) 3/4 UQ and a 3/4 Thermarest Ultralight pad for the foot, mandatory shelters, and going to ground.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    When I did my AT hike in 2012 I used a gathered end hammock with a full length UQ and a 20 degree bag. I now have a Ridgerunner and if I were to do it again I would take the RR with a pad. Pads work better with the Ridgerunner than any other hammock.I have an inflatable Neo Air Xlite which works well but I've started to use a large closed cell Thermarest Ridgerest which I really like. I also use a Thermarest Z-Lite cut in half as wings around my shoulders. It also works as a great sit pad. I prefer the Ridgerest because of it's simplicity. It will not spring a leak, you don't have to inflate it and it will work in a pinch if you want to sleep in a shelter or on the ground. I went through the Smokies in April and encountered snow, sleet and temps in the twenties. Several hikers had to be rescued that year in April due to heavy snow. I would not take a 40 degree bag. I had a 30 degree Western Mountaineer bag and it was barely enough. I would also consider taking the weather shield which comes with the Ridgerunner. I had one of Papa Smurfs hammocks with a built in weather shield on my hike and can say it saved my butt many a night in April. Hope this helps. BTW I have not slept with my Ridgerest in the 20s. Be sure to determine the temp ranges.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk ultralight
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfiters
    Insulation
    15 deg. Bag and UQ
    Suspension
    Daisychain / biner
    Images
    you will be more comfortable with an uq, but It isn't really necessary for the temperature. Also some certain pads are lighter than some uq.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    whoopie
    The pad may be fine. Hard to say. One thing you may want to look at and try is what I've seen called an SPE. Shug has a video on using a pad in place of an UQ and shows what the SPE is and how to use it. Essentially it creates wings for the pad so you have a wind block up beside your shoulders and thighs. He talks about using ccf and I've seen others use reflectix. If you haven't checked out Shug's videos, they're a great resource.

Images
    Thanks everyone for the replies I will be coming back to these posts as I test out my gear. I took my hammock out for an hour tonight to see how it felt in 40F and I was pretty toasty with my sleeping pad and mummy sleeping bag. It wasn't windy at all tonight though so the underside of the hammock was not cold at all. I was only wearing a t-shirt, hoodie and sweatpants. I think I will be fine in the 20's if I wear all my layers to bed. Hopefully I will be able to test that out soon but tonight is the coldest night for at least the next week according to weather reports. I may look and try to find a cheap closed-cell pad like some of you recommended if what I have now doesn't do the trick as I think that would be all I will need. It will also make ground sleeping more comfortable which I will have to do on occasion. I'm really trying to save money so I don't think I will buy an underquilt... I will check out that SPE video with Shug too. I love his videos. Him and this forum are the reason I got a WB Ridgerunner last year in the first place and I got to say I love it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I hiked some 90 miles of the AT in July with my 40° Phoenix and was darn glad I had it. It was hot during the day but could get "a tad cool" at night.

And it's not the hour in the hammock which gets ya. It's about 5am-6am when your body temp drops and the cool air of the night finds your backside. But then again, I'm a cold sleeper so it varies person to person.

IMO, the key is testing things out enough so you know what's comfortable for you.

Hammock
    HH, ENO, Dutch poly
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator 20, JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch
    Your decision but I recommend a 20 Degree underquilt. Buy once - Cry once. I've tried to improvise, cut corners, diy, etc. Eventually, tried a down 20 degree UQ from a cottage vendor and have never looked back. Bottom line, decide on down or synthetic and pull the trigger.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by achamp1121 View Post
    Do you guys think I will be fine using the sleeping pad and bag using multiple clothing layers to keep me warm?
    Short answer: No, I do not. (I certainly would not be, anyway.)

And it seems counter-intuitive, but wearing more and more clothes to bed can actually make you colder.

My coldest nights on the AT have not been in dead of winter, but in the summer when I expected nice warm (low elevation) weather and temps, but found high elevation weather and temps are quite different. I was unprepared and suffered. Never again. April in the GSMNP up high can be brutal. On the AT, an often-spoken rule is to keep your winter gear to Mt. Rogers in VA, because so much of the AT is at high elevations.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast