Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Hiking the AT in April and wodering If I need an Underquilt

Hey all I'm going to be hiking the AT starting April 4th and will be going through the Smoky Mountains. I have a Warbonnet Ridge Runner, an inflatable sleeping pad, and a 40 degree F rated synthetic sleeping bag. I was wondering if you guys think it is a must for me to invest in an underquilt? I don't really want to spend the money on one unless it is absolutely necessary as I'm short on cash. Do you guys think I will be fine using the sleeping pad and bag using multiple clothing layers to keep me warm? The average low for April in the Smokies is 43F.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Depends on what you mean by hiking the AT. I doubt you're gonna hike the entire AT with just a pad, but I could be wrong.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    There are some who use just a pad and a small tent. I would suggest testing your gear now. I'm in KY and we have those temps now. I would assume you do as well. It sounds like you have all of the gear to do some immediate testing. Get out and give it a try. You may be able to augment the situation using some other gear or extra clothing, but I'm sure weight will be a factor too. Lots of folks like the snugpack stuff.

Congrats on hiking the AT. Hope it all goes well. It's on my bucket list for... Someday.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Average temps also include temps lower than the average and those are the ones you have to worry about. Even one night below freezing or dipping in to the 20's, which is very possible, could cause a very hard time.

Having a pad, TQ, and tarp means you can go to ground if it gets too cold and it's easier to get closer to a fire if need be.

Definitely test your gear to see how cold it can get so you at least know what to expect. If you find your pad is only good down to about 40, then you at least know to expect to go to ground some.

You've got time to try some different things like adding refectix, a piece of CCF, wings for your pad, or even upgrading to a new pad.

I have an older Thermarest LE. It's wide, thick, and heavy. But, I've slept on frozen ground in the teens with a 20* bag without being cold because it's so well insulated.

Images
    I"m planning on hiking as much as the AT as I can until my money runs out. ( I will have ~$1200. Goal is to get to Harrisburg PA)... I'm going to go out a few nights next week and give it a test although I don't have all the clothes I will be bringing yet. I live in Memphis TN but surprisingly the temp has been pretty warm for the past few weeks. I don't think I will need an underquilt but I don't really have very much experience sleeping in my hammock in the cold and don't want to regret not having one when I'm out there. I guess I could sleep on the ground if need be as spitballJedi suggested... Thanks everyone for the replies!
    Last edited by achamp1121; 03-01-2016 at 00:55.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I don't have a lot of experience with an inflatable pad but I have heard that they do not provide as much insulation when used in a hammock as when used on the ground due to air movement below the pad. Also, unless yours is an insulated pad it will not provide much insulation at all. My insulated pad (with limited experience, so far) seems like it will be warm into the 40 degree range.
    If, during testing, your pad doesn't seem warm enough you could try adding a windshield reflector between your hammock layers as well. Lightweight, compact, and also makes a good sit pad, door mat, or added padding if you need to sleep on the ground any time.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've slept in my Ridge Runner with my Exped Synmat UL7. It's not as comfortable or as warm as my JRB Greylock 3 season UQ.

Can you do what you are asking? Sure. You won't die or get injured unless some EXTREME weather rolls in. However, being uncomfortable and cold at night can make for a really tough and miserable hike.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I was in the eastern Smokies the last week of March last year and crossed the AT. We saw overnight temps as low as 24F from 3000-5000ft. At that point, I wasn't into the hammock thing but maybe that range can offer you a reference point.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    There are some interesting threads on using emergency blankets as under insulation.
    Best solution, probably not.
    Cheapest / lowest weight / smallest size / good to have anyway solution - I think so.

Images
    Thanks for the reference point Tim. Hopefully some cold weather will come through my area soon so I can test out my gear. I think I can handle 24F but wouldn't want to sleep in that temp for more than a few days. I will bring a windshield reflector during testing and see if that warms me up any but I don't know if I could justify bringing it unless it helps significantly. I may pick up an ultralight space blanket if the windshield reflector helps. By the way my sleeping pad is a pretty cheap one that I got from Walmart for like $40 but it is pretty good quality. It isn't insulated though. Here's the link to the one I have: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...range/33563206

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast