Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Worst sore throat of my life came from a hammock, It wasn't from snoring either! I didn't sleep much at all that night. Temps was in the 40's and I was warm, did have a slight breeze tho. Next day I ordered a set of doors for my tadpole tarp and have never had another sore throat from camping. The over cover on my t-bird hammock works great too.. Must just be the cold air that causes it.
    I'm Drunk as A Boiled Owl Harriet's left me and I think I've been called to Preach! FRANK WILSON

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    For the present, as funds don't allow for about $500 per person for outdoor sleeping arrangements, I have an ALPS ultralight self inflating pad and 20* synthetic mummy bag. I use it as a quilt with the pad about half inflated in my hammock. We went out in mid January and overnight Temps got to about 30ish with fairly severe winds. With that setup in polypro base layers and midweight wool socks I got down right hot and had some night sweats. With the fear of cooling off too much and not being able to sleep, I dealt with being too warm. If I get cold I don't sleep. If I'm too warm, I hibernate. Both bag and pad can be found on discount sites for about $80 altogether. Bag is a bit heavy and bulky but not horribly so.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    You may be breathing more through your mouth than you realize and small changes in lying position can have a big impact on breathing patterns.

In a level hammock, your body slides toward the foot end and can cause your actual head to be too horizontal or even slightly upside down. This position causes your sinus cavities, sinus drainage, uvula, wind pipe, and breathing patterns to change. Even if you aren't opening your mouth more, which you may be without realizing it, the air patterns may be causing your uvula, tonsils, and/or the tissues on the back of your mouth and throat to move and vibrate differently. This is true even if you sleep on your side.

By lowering the head end, your center of gravity can actually push you toward that end and make your head more elevated, like using pillow in a bed. Some people need more or less elevation than others when on their back. Realizing this is actually what helped me be able to sleep on my back without snoring and I think it helped stop my soar throats.

Drafty conditions and being up in the air are culprits, too.

Hi Cara,

Here are a few ideas for helping you to get warmer.

UGQ rents under quilts. -Cost depending on length of your section hike.-

A hammock sock will help cut the wind and add a few degrees of warmth. If you can sew, it wouldn't cost too much in materials.

An underquilt protector. It will help cut the wind from below. Easy to diy.

As others suggested, add a pad. Wallyworld sells the blue ccf pad for cheap.

If it's windy, set your tarp lower to the ground.

Borrow a warmer rated sleeping bag from a friend.

A few techniques to sleeping warm.

Go to bed warm, not chilled.

Make sure you are properly hydrated.

Eat slow burning foods to keep your internal fire burning longer.

Empty your bladder before going to bed.

Change into dry sleep clothes that are appropriate for the temp. I like fleece top and bottoms, and oversized wool socks. They help wick moisture away from your skin.

Wear a warm hat. This is very important when using quilts or a pod system.

A hot water Nalgene bottle between the thighs or down at your feet will help warm your blood.

That should get you started. Luckily you have time to keep practicing. Enjoy.

Hey guys

I appreciate your information.

I have seen all of shugs videos. He is the one that made me consider a pad/sleeping bag in the first place. I however wanted to try diying something and went with the pod design.

Ether way. I have a few more questions. A day ago, I struck some good luck at finding another bag for cheap. I found a 20 degree kelty bag for $35 on craigslist and drove up to buy it after a lot of research on the bag itself. Turns out, the bag was a **** good steal. It weight 4oz lighter than my marmot, and is a better rating. Plus, it is the same as a cosmic kelty bag but under a different name since it was re-branded to be sold by a department store. The bag was brand new, in the bag, in the box, never opened. Sometimes I think gear gods are watching over me.

My question now; I slept in it in my hammock, and a pad. There were cold spots along my shoulder. (go figure) I was warm though!!!

How would you guys remedy this?

Would a space saver blanket tarp actually be a good deal to help with cold spots?

I looked into a snugpak under blanket, but at 3lbs I declined.

I also considered cutting up the rest of my wind screen to create wings for my shoulders.

My head hurts will all the research I am performing.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Cold in the shoulders? Sounds like you're slipping off the pad. I doubt a space blanket would help that.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Getting another cheap pad cutting it up and making wings for the top of your pad would be a cheap lightweight and easy solution to cold shoulders from sliding off the pad. The space tarp help with general warmth but I think the pads would help more with your issue for less weight.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    When it's cold out, I have a jacket. I tuck that under my shoulders to keep drafty spots from becoming a problem. It will all be over soon when I build my UQ.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post
    ...I can't buy a uq/oq for my trip at this point. It would dip my funds below what is needed for my trip....
    Penny wise, dollar foolish? I think thats the way the idiom goes. The success of your trip will be incumbent upon being able to sleep safely and comfortably outdoors for days on end. Either abandon the hammock and find a ground sleeping option with which you can get comfortable or, get yourself a suitable underquilt.

Buy, build or borrow but, get ye an underquilt.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12