DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR

ZING IT Whoopie Sling Results?

Since I know that there are plenty of envelope pushers out there, there are some things I'd like to know about using zing it/lash it as suspension.

1. Did it work?
    2. When did you end up switching it out for a different suspension?
    3. Has anyone tried making a UCR instead of a whoopie?
    4. Has it ever cut your hammock by being too thin?
    5. What is the weight load capacity of these things?
    6. What weight would you trust it to? (speaking to those that are willing to hang with zing it, not those that require a 1000lb breaking strength)
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You don't hear much results from people using Zing-It for whoopie slings - they tend to excitedly announce they're gonna push the limits, then you never hear from them again. I imagine they're somewhat embarrassed by proposing such a thing, then failing miserably.

It's not even remotely intelligent to attempt, but hey, feel free to push the limits!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-28-2016 at 19:03.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben W/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE UQ+LocoLibre TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DutchBling
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You don't hear much results from people using Zing-It for whoopie slings - they tend to excitedly announce they're gonna push the limits, then you never hear from them again. I imagine they're somewhat embarrassed by proposing such a thing, then failing miserably.

It's not even remotely intelligent to attempt, but hey, feel free to push the limits!
    I will spend 10 minutes removing the label from a smart water bottle, then removing the goo to save 1 gram... but I will not compromise my safety for ANY amount of weight savings.
    Hang the good hang.

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    I used them for probably a dozen hangs. They never failed but I didn't like the difficulty resetting them after being loaded.For the record I weigh about 190 and have a bridge. My wife used them also on a gathered end (I'll not disclose her weight but it's less than mine) with similar results. Nothing scientific YMMV.
    I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.... Joyce Kilmer "Trees"

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Thanks for the answers guys. I agree that dyneema is the way to go when lightening up. I was just curious.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    1. My 1.75mm Black Dyneema (from Dutch) whoopies are still working very well. Zero slipping, and they don't really look much worse for the wear at this point.

2. The 1.75 whoopies are on my day-use hammock, which is a 8'x4' Argon 67 with sewn end channels. I hang on it 2-3hrs/week. Been using for the last several months. I haven't switched out this suspension yet.

3. I tried making a UCR out the 1.75, but as soon as I sat in the hammock it slowly lowered me to the ground. I think the issue is not being able to get the taut line hitch on the free end tight enough.

4. My Argon 67 hammock isn't being cut by the thin line. I did, however, wrap the locked brummel through the channel 3 times though. My main reason for doing this is that it brings the adjustable bury almost the the end of the hammock. This means I can hang on trees that are as close as 8' apart.

5. Not sure exactly what I would say the safe "load capacity" is for these whoopies. I weigh in at 200 right now and have no trouble with either the 1.75mm whoopies or the Argon 67 hammock. It is important to note though that this is my day use hammock; I don't sleep in it overnight. I use Dynaglide and a Hexon 1.0 hammock for that. I know that it has held up to a few dozen hours of hanging. I do plan to use it to failure, which I assume can happen at any time now. I usually set up pretty low (6-9").

6. I would trust it to about 200lbs. But, if IIRC, SunnyBear sat in his A67 hammock with 1.75mm whoopies for 10-15 minutes and it held 300lbs+. Again, I expect the suspension or the body to fail. It is just a question of when.

A few short things:

SlvrSurfr seems to be...foolishly consistent about his decrying the stupidity of people who use lash-it. On one hand, I will say that I cannot personally condone anyone using this suspension as it will almost certainly fail during normal use at some point. However, there are several of us currently using this suspension with good results. Perhaps part of the reason for not hearing much about it after the initial post is the fact that it is still functioning. I will post on pertinent threads when the suspension fails with information about how the failure occurred and estimated usage time. Until then, I don't plan on posting "Used it again" every time I hang off it.

As an important note, and as I said earlier, I don't use 1.75mm whoopies on my overnight sleeping rig. Mostly this is for peace of mind. If I want to sleep and be comfortable, I don't want to be wondering if my suspension is going to explode in the middle of the night. I also don't want to hang my hammock 6" off the ground. Once I do get teh suspension to fail, I will have a better idea of the amount of use it can handle, and then might, maybe, possibly, use it for overnight hammocking. But, for a little extra weight, I get a much more comfortable bed and much more reliable suspension.

But for day-hikes, bike rides, etc...a hammock with full suspension and a stuff sack that packs down to the size of a baseball and weighs even less than that baseball (4.6oz I think)...well, that means it is almost impossible for me, a gram counter, to leave it behind.

I say, give it a try. Hang as low as you can, and see how it works for yourself. There will always be people who will tell you "You're gonna die!". Just assess the risks and take steps to make those risks acceptable in your own understanding.

If you are still looking into this, I just snapped my 1.8mm used as a structural ridgeline. It was only used 3 times or so. I had my hang angle off while testing a new suspension and it went. I only weigh 185.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    True, MattK.

I recall reading some posts of success using various cords. Some of them may chime in during relevant conversations, but I suspect some members aren't terribly active..

OP,

These types of threads aren't so popular since pre-made cords are expensive and DIY can be difficult. Durability of 1.7mm suspension will always [be] suspect, but you can always inspect frequently if bulk and weight are that important.

IIRC, suspension safety seems to be given at a fifth (or less) of a cords weight limit.

Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post

IIRC, suspension safety seems to be given at a fifth (or less) of a cords weight limit.
    Yes, 1/5 of the breaking strength is considered safe working load limit for holding a person. Good memory

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast