DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I'm 5'10" 250ish. I made some 2.2 Dyneema UCR's and used them for a few daytime hangs. One failed after a few hangs, but I think it was a splicing error. The other held up fine. I set them with prussiks but they had to be JUST RIGHT to prevent slippage. There were a few times I was lowered slowly, gently and inevitably to the ground. I'd try whoopie slings with it if I had enough to play with.

I have a 2.2 CL on my hammock that has held me every night I've stayed out since around June, so 10-12 total nights and it still looks like it's in good shape.

That said I'm a little too big, IMO to chance 1.75 stuff. Good luck!

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Well, since there is some activity on here, I figure I will post an update.

I have been using my A67 hammock with 1.75mm dyneema whoopies for about 1hr a week for pretty close to a year now. Mostly just a quick nap or a little bit of reading. The whoopies are still holding; no slipping, no major fraying. At this point it has lasted about 2 times longer than I expected.

I still hang low, and I still suggest anyone else trying out similar systems to do the same

Happy Hangin'!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JohannesBrahms View Post
    I will spend 10 minutes removing the label from a smart water bottle, then removing the goo to save 1 gram... but I will not compromise my safety for ANY amount of weight savings.
    lol.

how DO you get that goo off there?..

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunder
    Insulation
    Wooki 20 Degree
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I've done about 20 nights in 1.8mm Marlow Throwline UCR's.

If you take great care to splice them and have a good tight prussik on them they don't move.

When I did this I weighed 190lb or about 85.5kg.

The holding power increases as the coating wears.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    One of my early posts highlighted a hang I did on Zingit. I didn't overnight on it.. I had it suspending an AHE Bushman Hammock Chair using Dynaglide CLs and Ti Loop Alians. Still have that rig.

It didn't fail, and I used it a bunch of times.

No way I would get a good night sleep on Zingit, expecially a whoopie. Dynaglide ucrs still leave me a little uneasy.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

New member here, and only chiming in because I was searching this subject. I’ve been hanging on “zing it” Whoopi slings for about six years now. Last night I delved into the world of force vectors as related to angle of suspension. It was really enlightening. I use a deep hang 30° angle on either side. At this angle the forces are just above half of my overall weight on each tie out. As the angle gets more acute, I.e. a flatter, tighter, hammock, the forces on each end increase quickly, with pounds of force on each side being over double my weight. So if you are riding low in your hang, like me, zing it (1000lbs breaking strength reduced to a safe load of 1/5=200lbs of force) will be well within the parameter of safety as each tie out needs to hold 1/2the overall weight of the load. I’m 210 lbs, and at a deep hang zing it whoopies will hold me safely, but for science reasons. I just picked up a kammock ultralight hammock and it needs to be more taught so I’m making some 7/64 whoopies and soft shackles tonight!!!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barchael View Post
    So if you are riding low in your hang, like me, zing it (1000lbs breaking strength reduced to a safe load of 1/5=200lbs of force) will be well within the parameter of safety as each tie out needs to hold 1/2the overall weight of the load.
    I think you're mistaken about breaking strength of 1.75 mm Zing-it or even 2.2 mm Zing-It. The 2.2 mm is rated at 650 lbs., while the 1.75 mm is 500 lbs.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...nt=29006463501
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    they tend to excitedly announce they're gonna push the limits, then you never hear from them again.
    I hang over the dying fire comes to mind.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barchael View Post
    New member here, and only chiming in because I was searching this subject. I’ve been hanging on “zing it” Whoopi slings for about six years now. Last night I delved into the world of force vectors as related to angle of suspension. It was really enlightening. I use a deep hang 30° angle on either side. At this angle the forces are just above half of my overall weight on each tie out. As the angle gets more acute, I.e. a flatter, tighter, hammock, the forces on each end increase quickly, with pounds of force on each side being over double my weight. So if you are riding low in your hang, like me, zing it (1000lbs breaking strength reduced to a safe load of 1/5=200lbs of force) will be well within the parameter of safety as each tie out needs to hold 1/2the overall weight of the load. I’m 210 lbs, and at a deep hang zing it whoopies will hold me safely, but for science reasons. I just picked up a kammock ultralight hammock and it needs to be more taught so I’m making some 7/64 whoopies and soft shackles tonight!!!
    The major assumption flaws in all the hang force calculators are they assume:
    1) Load is centered and evenly distributed
    2) Load is static.

1) uncentered loads do increase loading and can change how the components react. Think mousetrap effect in a tensahedron stand.
    2) Dynamic loading as you move get in or get out of you hammock or even flop around in the middle of the night can also multiply the load applied to the suspension lines. Think the death of Green Bean. I still cry for Shug over this moment. The sacrifices he does to entertain us are unbounded.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 06-18-2021 at 08:07.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

ZING IT Whoopie Sling Results?

Barchael, I believe the forces on an ideal hang of 30* is not half your body weight, on each end of hammock, but is, instead your total body weight, everywhere along the line!
    This makes your successful hangs all the more impressive. Good luck!

SilvrSurfr noted 1.75 zingit rated 500 pounds and zingit 2.2 rated 650 pounds, maybe you were not hanging with zingit, but instead dyneema or some other cord rated 1000 pounds??

I’ll stick with 1/8 amsteel...
    Phantom skeeerd
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 06-17-2021 at 10:29.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast