Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well all this info certainly give me something to chew on. When I get a chance, I will sit down and go through all of these places. It was weird reading the rules on the website. Didn't quite understand them. Will post specifics later and see if you all can explain them.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    If your trying to hike between little Yosemite valley and tuolomne you are going to be in competition with the ppl trying to get JMT permits. 2 years ago I did the north rim trail, I would highly recommend it because it's more secluded and amazing views of the valley the entire time. As your first time in Yosemite it would be cool to soak up all that the valley has to offer. You get to go to the top of El Capitan, Yosemite falls, and north dome.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    [QUOTE=natemeister;1594377]When are you going? If after mid-March, you'll need to apply for a permit now, as they can go fast.
    There are plenty of trees to hang from, never an issue when I've been out there. Fires only in fire-pits.
    Since this is your first time, the Valley itself is quite spectacular. A day there as you've planned would be fantastic. Try to schedule that for a week-day, to avoid the tourists. Fri-Sun is crazy and hectic in the valley, with TONS of cars, tour buses, tourists, and just too much for someone who enjoys backpacking Also, there are buses that run constantly and will drop-off, pick-up from the THs. There are even buses that run from the Valley to Tuolumne Meadows and back.

For a 4 day loop, an option would be:
    Day 1: Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley.
    Day 2: Head up towards Cloud's Rest. Better views and less people than Half Dome. You'll be looking down on Half Dome. Camp around Sunrise Lakes.
    Day 3: Head towards Tenaya Lake and make the night's camp along the Snow Creek Trail somewhere, going towards the Valley.
    Day 4: Return to the valley via Snow Creek Trail. You'll go pass Mirror Lake and Tenaya Creek.
    Here's the link I made for you: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/WJoVJ...xVjdxmSBp3uQ//

Hey Nate, can you help with this link? It won't go

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots13 View Post
    If your trying to hike between little Yosemite valley and tuolomne you are going to be in competition with the ppl trying to get JMT permits. 2 years ago I did the north rim trail, I would highly recommend it because it's more secluded and amazing views of the valley the entire time. As your first time in Yosemite it would be cool to soak up all that the valley has to offer. You get to go to the top of El Capitan, Yosemite falls, and north dome.
    So I read an article about this "hidden" trail. It seemed a little confusing. Is it easy enough to follow the trail, are there markers?

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So I figure around four days backpacking. Can do it slowly or at regular pace. I don't mind doing short mile days (5 M) which leave time to explore or just sit and smell the roses. We are flat landers, not used to higher elevations and switchbacks. That being said, none of us are in poor shape. What I have found on past trips is averaging around 8 miles in elevations is probably about right. A little more or less is fine. I do want to be able to look at views and not rush. It is not everyday I'm in such a beautiful place and of course not at work.

Another thing to deal with is transportation. We will be flying in from Chicago. Is it possible to catch a bus to Yosemite? If not we will rent a car which has to be parked. Any help from past experiences would be great

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    By the way, most maps I have found are rather difficult to see. Very small or incomplete.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    So I read an article about this "hidden" trail. It seemed a little confusing. Is it easy enough to follow the trail, are there markers?
    First day was difficult to navigate but after that it is very easy. Rockslides trailhead is difficult to find as it is set back in the woods from the parking spaces with no signs. Also it is called rockslides trail for a reason, in some places you have to scramble over them and pick up the trail on the other side. We did lose the trail at one point and found ourselves climbing straight up the mountain until we found it again.

[QUOTE=Oms;1600093]
    Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    When are you going? If after mid-March, you'll need to apply for a permit now, as they can go fast.
    There are plenty of trees to hang from, never an issue when I've been out there. Fires only in fire-pits.
    Since this is your first time, the Valley itself is quite spectacular. A day there as you've planned would be fantastic. Try to schedule that for a week-day, to avoid the tourists. Fri-Sun is crazy and hectic in the valley, with TONS of cars, tour buses, tourists, and just too much for someone who enjoys backpacking Also, there are buses that run constantly and will drop-off, pick-up from the THs. There are even buses that run from the Valley to Tuolumne Meadows and back.

For a 4 day loop, an option would be:
    Day 1: Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley.
    Day 2: Head up towards Cloud's Rest. Better views and less people than Half Dome. You'll be looking down on Half Dome. Camp around Sunrise Lakes.
    Day 3: Head towards Tenaya Lake and make the night's camp along the Snow Creek Trail somewhere, going towards the Valley.
    Day 4: Return to the valley via Snow Creek Trail. You'll go pass Mirror Lake and Tenaya Creek.
    Here's the link I made for you: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/WJoVJ...xVjdxmSBp3uQ//

Hey Nate, can you help with this link? It won't go
    Here ya go. I accidentally deleted it while prepping for my JMT hike this year.
    https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/...-3a4d3c05071d/

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Not to thread jack but didn't want to start a new thread. My son and I will be hiking the North Rim late June. It will be our first time in Yosemite and was trying to get an idea on temps to expect. From what I've found online it looks like highs in the low 80's and lows in mid 40's, but am unsure if these will be accurate for the area we'll be or if they're for the Valley? I imagine there is a difference. Any other tips for our first trip there are welcome. Thanks

That's accurate barring a storm, though the potential low is closer to high 30s. I'm at Yosemite right now, actually Little Yosemite Valley. Temps this weekend were shorts and t-shirt. I was backpacking in Tuolumne Meadows last year in mid July and lows were around 38-40. Just renege the temp drop of about 4° per 1000 feet of election increase.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast