Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch

How low can Shamu go?

I was excited to come home today to a package from MacEntyre - especially since I didn't expect it to arrive until Monday! Included in my order was a Shamu UQ and TQ. The MMG site says that both are good to just below freezing. I'll admit I am a little skeptical! I have a trip coming up in two weeks, and I expect the temp to drop to a low of around 35*. I'm hoping to be able to test it in the backyard before then. In the meantime, how many of you have actually used it that low?

I brought it out to the lake tonight to play with it, but it wasn't cold enough to get a good read on it. My weather app said it was 65*. The wind made it at least a bit chillier than that. When I would pull the UQ out from under me, I would have CBS in about 30 seconds. Pull it back, and I would warm up almost instantly. That's a great start, but not enough to let me know how low I can trust it.

I'm trying to stay away from laying on a pad - BTDT, don't want to anymore. Would simply putting a pad between the hammock and UQ guarantee insulation? Maybe a layer of Mylar or reflectix? Or maybe y'all will just tell me I'm crazy and need to just let Shamu do the job!

All-in-all, seems like a great product, well-made, and at a good price - whether or not it works well at freezing.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Are you a cold sleeper?
    If so, you might not be comfy at freezing.
    But you can do better than a pad for supplement.
    A kids sleeping bag over your feet and legs works well.
    A down vest also helps.
    A Hammock Sock is the best supplement!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    I'd say I'm average. I prefer it to be cooler at night. I will say that I've been out in the hammock at 50* with just a sleeping bag and I was fairly comfy. I have a fairly light 40* synthetic bag, maybe I'll just have it with me just in case.

The sock does look like a good option for the cold nights though.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    At one point I thought that a warm Top Blanket made a bigger difference than a UQ. In other wods, if they are both the same rating, the Top Blanket will keep you warmer with just a little supplement. I never could decide if that was really true.

FourDog always says you add to your UQ/TQ with your clothing.
    I've made a couple of torso bags from thrift shop kid's sleeping bags.
    Shug used a small pad under his feet, to supplement a 3/4 UQ in winter.
    I've wrapped a down vest around me feet before.
    Oh, yeah, some folks say that a UQ Protector (2QZQ) helps get you to a lower temp.

Anyway, the temp rating on a Shamu is most dependent on you. It's kinda hard to pin it down.
    I've used 'em below freezing, and so has Klipspringer (formerly Thing1), without complaint.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Got me thinking about supplementing UQs...

If you have a Shamu and a Top Blanket, the best supplement is the Top Blanket. Put it inside the Shamu, and use your sleeping bag as a Top Blanket. That'll get you well below freezing!
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Now that's a good idea! Anyway, I decided that it was enough talking theory and time to test. As I tap, I'm hanging in my backyard with my MMG TQ and Shamu! I wanted a good test, so wearing a long sleeved shirt, shorts, and socks. I have other layers out here as well just in case. Right now, it's 38*, and I'm snug as a bug in a rug! I'll report back in the morning.

My two oldest (12&13) are hanging in a neighboring tree, also testing, so they know they're prepared for our trip next weekend. They're using pads and bags, and I hear them both heavily breathing, sound asleep. This is the life!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    OK, night is over and I survived just fine! I fell asleep shortly after the previous post. I woke up a little over an hour later with a cool spot under my calves, and a bit of cold shoulder. Temp was 37*. I made some adjustments to the quilts, felt a little warmer and went back to sleep. Woke up in another hour with a few more cool spots. Temp was 36*. I added a pair of sweatpants, and pulled my 40* synthetic bag under me inside the hammock. It was tough to get it just right because I didn't feel like getting out of the hammock to adjust it. Basically, the rest of the night was the same - sleep for an hour or two and wake up to make an adjustment. I had some cold spots, but nothing unbearable. The low for the night was 33*, and while I can't say I was perfectly warm, I was far from miserable!

I was also using a 10'6" hammock instead of my normal 11'. I think that part of the issue was just getting the UQ properly adjusted around the sides, which I think the longer hammock will help with. The ends were tight, but the sides kept shifting, and I could definitely feel cold spots when they moved! However, as long as the TQ was properly adjusted around me, I felt no cold from the top, only underneath. Therefore, I think that once I can get the sides properly adjusted and relatively immobile, I'll be fine. Any thoughts on that?

All in all, I'm very happy with both quilts. I think I'd be comfortable guaranteeing to anyone that they will easily take you to 40* and under. They are well worth the price - the cost and weight rival anything similar on the market that I've seen. I think they will take me down to freezing once I have everything dialed in. Add a sock, and it'll be no problem whatsoever!

And the build quality is excellent. They look good, and look like they will last.

Oh, and although my kids were using cheap Walmart bags and pads, they stayed warm and slept well all night! I had bugnets for both of them, one a cheap integrated hammock, and the other was an ENO bug sock. The nets seemed to bump the temp a few degrees inside their hammocks, so I'm sure that helped. One day, I'd like to get better setups for them, but for now it's enough to get them into it.

Thanks, MacEntyre, for a great product! I look forward to posting a trip report in a couple weeks, and also planning to write a bit about my new Molly Mac Pack.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    You are entyrely welcome!
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts