WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle

0* Incubator & Burrow...thoughts?

Ok...I ordered a 0* Incubator & Burrow (snap footbox) to round out WWBB XLC & Superfly...I live in Wisconsin where it ranges from -30ish (windchill) to 90ish. My thoughts were that I can always vent/uncover/sleep naked if I get hot but I can't get warmer when it's really cold out, well, I could make "snow angels" while laying there I guess. Also, I plan to use my current sleeping bag (rated down to 40*), and a sleeping pad when it is warmer out. FIRST QUESTION: Does this make sense or am I crazy? Now, I don't want to start any fights on HF, buuut, I ordered the Burrow with snaps because of the convertibility...I've read that some guys/gals are all about the sewn footbox while others prefer the snaps...in theory, I think I can keep it snapped when hanging in absolute zero conditions and unsnap it for higher temps. SECOND QUESTION: Has anyone used a 0* Burrow in temps around 50*-60* range without passing out from heat exhaustion? I'm guess that I'm just looking for experience/advice on the range of use for the 0* Burrow and Incubator. Thanks for reading!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The temp range I sleep in runs from a few degrees below 0 to into the 40's for that exact set up.I've been comfortable by venting into the 50's.
    Never had an issue with the snap foot boxes, and, like you, prefer the option to use the quilt as a blanket. Temps in the 60's can also be dealt with by venting, but I switch out to my 20* quilts for spring into late fall.
    I've also slept indoors on a couch with the 0* quilt as a blanket and was comfortable.

I sleep outside full time, year round. Once it gets to single digits and below, I'm set up with extra covers and an insulated UQP that I've made.
    I'm a cold sleeper and moved to Montana from Minnesota to get warm and that combination of quilts has served me well.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    The temp range I sleep in runs from a few degrees below 0 to into the 40's for that exact set up.I've been comfortable by venting into the 50's.
    Never had an issue with the snap foot boxes, and, like you, prefer the option to use the quilt as a blanket. Temps in the 60's can also be dealt with by venting, but I switch out to my 20* quilts for spring into late fall.
    I've also slept indoors on a couch with the 0* quilt as a blanket and was comfortable.

I sleep outside full time, year round. Once it gets to single digits and below, I'm set up with extra covers and an insulated UQP that I've made.
    I'm a cold sleeper and moved to Montana from Minnesota to get warm and that combination of quilts has served me well.
    First off, you're my idol for sleeping outside full time, year round. Second, it sounds like I made the right decision on my insulation purchases...thanks for your input.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Mountnormal,

I started with 20* quilts and eventually resorted to adding a 40* underquilt for any overnight temps over 50*F. I expect that your 0* underquilt will be much more robust than you need.

My first 20* Burrow was also a Snap foot box. It does extend the utility for higher temps but, it has never been as warm in the colder temps as my quilts with a sewn footbox. As you are buying 0* for the warmest possible solution, you might be undermining yourself by choosing snaps for that quilt.

My quilt collection now includes 0*, 20* and 40* Incubator underquilts. and 20* Burrow topquilts with both sewn and snapped footboxes. My 20* underquilt provides by far the widest range of utility (10* to ~ 60*). I use my 40* for most of my late Spring to early Fall backpacking (Its warm enough for anything above freezing and not too warm for 75* overnight temps). My 0* underquilt gets used only during the coldest months.

Good luck with your new quilts.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnormal View Post
    Ok...I ordered a 0* Incubator & Burrow (snap footbox) to round out WWBB XLC & Superfly...I live in Wisconsin where it ranges from -30ish (windchill) to 90ish. My thoughts were that I can always vent/uncover/sleep naked if I get hot but I can't get warmer when it's really cold out, well, I could make "snow angels" while laying there I guess. Also, I plan to use my current sleeping bag (rated down to 40*), and a sleeping pad when it is warmer out. FIRST QUESTION: Does this make sense or am I crazy? Now, I don't want to start any fights on HF, buuut, I ordered the Burrow with snaps because of the convertibility...I've read that some guys/gals are all about the sewn footbox while others prefer the snaps...in theory, I think I can keep it snapped when hanging in absolute zero conditions and unsnap it for higher temps. SECOND QUESTION: Has anyone used a 0* Burrow in temps around 50*-60* range without passing out from heat exhaustion? I'm guess that I'm just looking for experience/advice on the range of use for the 0* Burrow and Incubator. Thanks for reading!
    I have done what you have done, and this has been great for me for the past few years. I have never had issues with snaps or heat loss. I love the versatility of the snaps and draw string. I think you have made a wise choice. I have always thought that one should buy a quilt that exceeds the low temperatures one plans to hang in, unless of course money is no option and you can afford multiple quilts. I can always throw off clothes to cool down, but this does not work in the opposite direction. Well done in my opinion, although each in their own. HYOH
    StoryTellerTN

Life is always better when your "hanging" out with friends.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Storytellertn View Post
    I have done what you have done, and this has been great for me for the past few years. I have never had issues with snaps or heat loss. I love the versatility of the snaps and draw string. I think you have made a wise choice. I have always thought that one should buy a quilt that exceeds the low temperatures one plans to hang in, unless of course money is no option and you can afford multiple quilts. I can always throw off clothes to cool down, but this does not work in the opposite direction. Well done in my opinion, although each in their own. HYOH
    Thanks for your comment....at least somebody agrees t with me.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I own three HG TQs, and all of them have sewn footboxes. Versatility of snapped footbox? I don't get it. What makes a snapped footbox more versatile?

Unsnap for higher temps? Again, I don't get it. The last place I would vent is my feet. I've used my 0* Burrow in temps up to 70* F, and can't imagine how a snapped footbox would improve my life.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I own three HG TQs, and all of them have sewn footboxes. Versatility of snapped footbox? I don't get it. What makes a snapped footbox more versatile?

Unsnap for higher temps? Again, I don't get it. The last place I would vent is my feet. I've used my 0* Burrow in temps up to 70* F, and can't imagine how a snapped footbox would improve my life.
    Lol...I've read views similar to this...I just figured it's more versatile if the end isn't a tube. But who am I to say? It's good to know that you've used a 0* up to 70...that'll help me make my decision. Thank you Sir.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The 0° Burrow is A TON OF DOWN. I actually have a hard time using mine along with the 0° Incubator. Especially this weak winter. I'm taking the 0° set this weekend, but I could get by with the 20°. I try to justify that $600 purchase, but it's tough

For me, I can really only handle a 15-20° positive difference with the TQ. Beyond that I'm just too hot. My 20° Burrow was way too much at 52° on a recent trip. Down just traps and radiates heat, almost as if it were generating it's own heat. Any part of the quilt that's touching my body is warm, and in a hammock there is no pushing it to the side. When I get to about 20° over the rated temp, I'm uncomfortably warm. But an underquilt, like you 0° Incubator can be used well over it's rating without any problems.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I currently just have the Incubator 0 and a crappy old synthetic 20º mummy bag. I sleep in my hammock every night indoors (unless I'm out on an adventure), and even with my room at 65-75F I leave the Incubator 0 on my hammock. It's super easy to adjust the temperature by opening the vents on each end, or just loosening the UQ so it's farther away from your butt. It's super adjustable.

I'm thinking about getting a Burrow 0 when I can afford it, because the mummy bag isn't cutting it for some wintry season camping I want to do. I imagine it'd be just as easy to vent the Burrow as it is the Incubator

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast