Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Spotted in Sam's Club $29 parachute hammock with 400lb weight rating. Any opinions or reviews?

I'm very new to hammocks. I do not own one yet. I'm 6'2" and 345lb with DDD and a couple herniated discs. I want to do more camping, haven't been in years. I'd like to try out a hammock but I do not have lots of cash for trial and error.

It's a Castaway travel hammock item number PA-8106.

With my weight this is the cheapest thing I've found but I can't find any reviews on it. What are your thoughts? I'm likely going back Friday to get one and if nothing else I'll update this with more pictures of it. I'm looking at eventually ordering from Simply Light but I just kinda want to know if this $30 deal is at least good enough to learn what I do and don't like in a hammock so I can make a more informed decision when it comes order time. Thanks in advance.

[AIMG]1917079_10207754074743524_2033018219084916354_n.jpg12734027_10207754076823576_4139119762626063021_n.jpg12743940_10207754073823501_114662880612991938_n.jpg12744037_10207754075743549_3799732619920557401_n.jpg[/AIMG]

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    With you being 6'2" and this hammock being in the 9 foot family, you will likely not be very comfy. It would make a good sideways loungy thing, but prolly not a "sleeping hammock" for camping.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

I saw the same one at my local costco this past weekend. $30 is a pretty good price, but the length is too short and you'll need suspension anyway. I'd recommend going with SLD, Arrowhead or Dutch and get what will work for you. Yes, it will be a few dollars more, but you'll be happier in the end.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I saw the same one at my local costco this past weekend. $30 is a pretty good price, but the length is too short and you'll need suspension anyway. I'd recommend going with SLD, Arrowhead or Dutch and get what will work for you. Yes, it will be a few dollars more, but you'll be happier in the end.
    I posted about this one in the local Costco.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ge-Dutch-hooks

It says made in India but still think that Dutch is conspiring with the Canadians.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    +1 on the length. Although some people prefer a shorter hammock, the majority prefer the 10-11ft range. So if you are looking to lounge about the yard or just relax at a campsite, but not actually use it as a sleeping system, it would be fine. Shorter hammocks are better than the ground, but...

If price is an issue there are better starter hammocks at a decent price. Dutch and others were already mentioned, also there is Yukon outfitters. They have a larger hammock that is made in the USA ( not all their products are, but this one is) that is a decent price and the quality is decent.

It's always better to spend a little more and get something you will love instead of spending less and wanting more ( speaking from personal experience). You don't have to go all out and get a custom job with all the bells and whistles, there are entry level options that won't break the bank.

Also you came to the right place for advice, these folks will have you lounging like a pro in no time.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I think I have that same one. It's not a solid piece of fabric but is stitched together from 3 panels. It was cheap and works but the seams don't stretch at the same rate as the rest of the fabric so it created some pretty terrible lines or pressure points. It's fine to let the kids play in or lounge but I wouldn't try and get any actual rest in a hammock that small.

+1 what the others have said about it being too small, actually way too small I'd say. I don't know what the max recommended weight rating is but I'd recommend you look elsewhere for a better quality option. Your back won't be happy if that cheap hammock lets go and drops you to the ground. Also, you might be tempted by an ENO "Double-Nest" based on their ratings and price but you'll find them way on the small side too.

An equally inexpensive DIY option would be to make a double-layer tablecloth or similar hammock. It should take the weight, be more comfortable, and not much more than this castaway option once you add in some suspension. There's tons of info on here if you decide to go that route.

Good Luck.....

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    I think it would be a good hammock to pratice diy mods to hammocks
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Hammock is the cheapest thing in hammock camping... From what I heard, ordering 11ft hammock from Dutch (Dutchware.com) with tree straps and suspension in one shot might be a good idea, even if it costs double (or more) of $30.

Thanks for the replies! I realize it's likely a cheapo 1 or 2 years use item. Being my size 6'2" and more importantly 345 pounds I have to find something rated for my less than petite frame.

I know I'm eventually going to buy from a company like SLD, but being new to hammocks I don't know what I want and was thinking of using this $30 throw away as an educational tool to learn what I like and don't like. I have a sewing machine and very rudimentary sewing skills so I'm not afraid to modify(add in tie outs or whatever) the $30 one if need be. I know that spending money on a nicer hammock will likely end up with a much better experience. I just don't want to end up dropping the couple hundred bucks to get all set up and find I don't like half of what I paid for, nor do I want to go bare bones and then be stuck wanting to mod a more expensive hammock with my rudimentary skills lol.

I looked at Dutch and while I can customize it to the 9's it doesn't list weight ratings, remember 345lb me has to feel safe to sleep. I also looked at Arrowhead and the suspension systems rate at 500lb but no mention of the hammock itself. From the SLD site it says a double layer 1.9 ripstop is good for 400lb. So with that I'm assuming the 1. 1/30d ripstop that arrowhead uses wouldn't work? Dutch offers 1.9 and heavier so again I'm assuming that would work? Forgive me for being so new at this.

This brings me to the "What I want/need" in a hammock part. The Dutch Double layer with dual knotty mod, structural ridgeline and hanging system is $130. This still doesn't account for a bug net that I'm positive I need in WV. The SLD New hangers package puts me at $214 (remember double layer 1.9 for tubby tub) but includes tie outs at both knees/shoulders, bug net, and an opening for a pad. I don't have an issue with buying either and adding the stuff I'll need later. I just don't want to pay for stuff I don't want and I don't know if I want it or not yet lol. That's the only reason I'm considering the cheapo is to find what works for me. That said I'd for sure need to add the ridgeline and bugnet but I'm sure I could do some wedding gown mesh fabric whatever it's called from walmart long enough to test out the cheapo. Did I mention the cheapo comes with 2 10ft straps already?

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    +1 buying a hexon 11', 2 CLs, a fixed ridgeline, and roll a die for a suspension option from dutch. Cannot go wrong.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast