Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking to start and overwhelmed with options

I am a bit of a research nut and can't seem to stop looking at all the options out there. I am 6'0", 170lbs and live in New England. I am open to making some of my gear, but will buy at least the hammock itself. I'd like a removable bug net, at least partially so I can stargaze. I'll need an underquilt eventually. I don't need the best gear out there, but I like to buy something once. I will be doing some backpacking so I need to keep the weight down.
    Could you make one or two recommendations for each piece of equipment or a whole system? Thanks!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by unicron47 View Post
    I am a bit of a research nut and can't seem to stop looking at all the options out there. I am 6'0", 170lbs and live in New England. I am open to making some of my gear, but will buy at least the hammock itself. I'd like a removable bug net, at least partially so I can stargaze. I'll need an underquilt eventually. I don't need the best gear out there, but I like to buy something once. I will be doing some backpacking so I need to keep the weight down.
    Could you make one or two recommendations for each piece of equipment or a whole system? Thanks!
    I personally love my Hennessy system with the Super Shelter. I would recommend upgrading to a bigger tarp, preferably a OES MacCat tarp. Hang your tarp separate from the hammock contrary to what the manufacturers suggest. I am the same weight and height and do most of my backpacking while section hiking the AT.

The Super Shelter has mixed reviews on Hammock Forums but with a 20 degree sleeping bag I can get my system down to about 35 degrees. I haven't made the switch to an UQ for this reason though I've definitely done research on all the options. The Super Shelter is currently on sale too.

I have a bottom entry hammock and for the most part like it. If you want to stargaze I would probably recommend the Zip version or letting a company called 2QzQ (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/) modify it.

No doubt you'll have a lot of different suggestions to this post. Have fun, good luck, and prepare to get hooked!!! I haven't personally gotten to the point of DIY but I'm probably headed there soon.

Welcome! Admittedly, most of the people on this forum have more experience than I do, but the way I see it to start you need to determine which fabric would be best. That said, there are several ways to do that: 1) Go to a group hang and ask nicely; 2) Buy multiple hammocks; 3) Guess whether you would like a more firm or a more stretchy fabric 4) Play Dutch roulette (go to website, close eyes, click). All of the above is also acceptable.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg 10 UL
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Sounds like you would like the XLC. The netting is completely removable and you will most likely not have to replace it in many years to come. I have yet to hear about anyone that had regrets buying one...

Hammock
    Netty
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/ Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    You might also check out the Hammeck Netty, it has a couple of bugnet options. One stays attached and zips all the way to the foot end and stuffs in a mesh bag so it's out of the way. The other is completely removable. It is still pretty light and they give several fabric choices unlike warbonnet. They are both pretty nice though the XLC was more weight than I wanted in the end.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Well, the question you have ask is kind of like asking "what oil should I use in my car". Everyone is going to give you a different answer based on their needs and experience. None of the answers will be wrong but perhaps none of them will be right for you. With hammocks each of us are very different and what works/fits one individual will really suck for another. Below is my best noobie advice. You will need to do your own homework and decide what works for you rather than taking other's advice.

Doing 4) is where you will get a whole lot of help and the ability to actually try out different pieces of gear.

Good luck with your search.

1) Read all the sticky posts at the top of each section here at Hammock Forums. You will find all of your questions answered plus questions you have not thought of yet.

2) Go to You Tube and watch all of Shug's videos. He will also answer all your questions but make you laugh. Leave lots of times to watch these

3) Google The Ultimate Hang and read Derek's The Ultimate Hang pages. He does a great of explaining things you did not even know you needed to know. He also does great diagrams so it's easy to understand.

4) Attend a Hammock Forum group hang before you invest any addition $ in your gear. There folks will show you and let you check out their gear so you can make educated decisions based on your own comfort levels

4) Lastly NEVER take any gear to the field that you have not completely tested in controlled conditions such as your back yard in the temps/environment you expect to encounter in the field. A set up that suits one person will mostly likely not suit another so don't assume that just because I like/can be comfortable with a specific piece of gear that you will. Really. We are all very different when it comes to hammocks and what works/what does not work.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

+1 on what dkurfiss said above, especially theultimatehang.com. Not knowing your budget, I would say all the suggestions that have already been made are good ones. Add to that Arrowhead Equipment who have nicely set up beginner kits with good modular equipment you won't have to replace anytime soon if ever. I'm sure someone will also recommend Dutchware. Finally, don't hesitate to contact vendors via email or phone call and ask for suggestions.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch Nylon D 1.6 single & double
    Tarp
    Kelty and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Cocoon
    Suspension
    My whoopie/straps
    Images
    Dutch hammock and Winter Sock.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    These recommendations are based on my own use & experience with these companies. There are lots of other choices & companies out there for sure. Thumbs up for the advice given by dkurfiss above.

Hammock - 11 foot Hammeck Netty. Partial or total zip off net. I prefer a cinch buckle & webbing suspension, but many prefer the whoopee sling set-up. You can choose either with a Hammeck product. The Mecks are awesome to work with and they will be quick to answer any questions you have.

UQ - Two ways to go here, depending on how much money you want to spend. Either of these choices may pop up in the For Sale forum from time to time, so you could save a little money that way by buying used. All the gear I have bought from other HF members has been in very good condition. Both will keep you warm. Down will weigh less and compact more, but cost more.
    Synthetic - AHE Jarbidge. 3/4 length, well made in the USA, good if you are in wet weather a lot. $100 for a 3 season UQ.
    Down - HG 20 degree Phoenix or Incubator. Length is a personal preference. Some folks like a 3/4 UQ to save weight & be more packable. Some of us prefer a full length UQ for full coverage. You can also split the difference and get a short Incubator.

TQ - a sleeping bag will work fine, unzipped. If you really like the hammock experience, you will eventually want a real TQ. Lots of vendor choices & plenty of nice TQ come up in the For Sale forum all the time.

Good luck & happy hanging!
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My recommendation is start with a simple hammock and use a pad as insulation just to see if it is something you want to persue.
    Then you will have the art of Tarping to get into.
    Here you go....
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

Materials...http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products...ss-hammock-kit or http://diygearsupply.com

Suspension.....http://www.dutchwaregear.com/hammock...k-suspensions/

That ought to get you going.

Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast