Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Hammock camping cramps???

So I get a really flat lay in my XLC, however it seems that when I am in it over night 80% of the time during the night I have to deal with leg cramps. Or upper leg cramps getting out of it. I really can't explain why. It happens while hiking and car camping. I don't get a calf ridge. The only thing I can think would be since my foot end is a bit higher I'm not getting blood flow that I need. But when I say slightly higher it is only a slight difference.

Anyone else have this issue with any hammock or found ways to combat this problem. Cause there is nothing worse than waking up to a Charlie horse or having your quads or hamstrings cramp up while making a late night lavatory run.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Some folks have similar issues with a little hyperextension in the legs. Try rolling up a jacket or a small pillow to put under the knees.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I had leg cramps in my Hennessy Exped Asym Zip and also on a WBBB I tried. I went to hammocks without integrated bugnets and haven't had a leg cramp since. BIAS, Dutch and even tablecloth hammocks just don't make my legs cramp. Also, I was happy to move to simple, gathered end hammocks because I hate zippers and how they impede a swift exit from the hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I've been through this, mostly in cold weather.

As Paul said, lots of times it's related to hyperextending the knee, often just one knee, sometimes both. The suggestion to put something under the knee does help.

I'm a figure 4 sleeper, head left, feet right and it's usually the right leg that gives me trouble when it happens.

Don't know if the feet being elevated is the issue, try sleeping level and see if that helps. Sometimes I'll slide down towards my footbox to buy a little more shoulder room in my XLC when it's zipped shut. (I know, breaking the rules, swimming upstream against convention) I do wish the XLC covers didn't "tighten up" the lay a little but they do. Pretty much the nature of zipped covers unless you provide ample slack and then well, you have slack fabric. It's a tradeoff.

Other things to consider, get hydrated well before turning in. I've heard some folks don't drink up before hammock time because they don't want to have to get up in the middle of the night. I'll trade a midnight pee break over charlie horses any time.

Mustard Packets, the magically cramp cure. They work for me, if you can downing a mustard pack or two they are pretty good at quickly eliminating cramps. Anecdotal, but it works for me and others I know.

Your feet have to be elevated but don't over do it. The idea is that you don't slide down into the footbox and it doesn't take much of an incline to accomplish that. Other thing is, hang the hammock level and see how you like it. Then keep an eye on the little bit of fabric that is taking the stress above the footbox, don't want to overload or tear that. Not that it's a serious concern, mine's still good and I've slept hundreds of nights in my XLC and I'm a big guy.

Cold Weather. For sure that's the killer, the body works a lot harder at staying warm so grubbing up while outdoors in cold temps is especially important and so is the hydration. If we are talking sub freezing temps, make sure to snack before hammock time and drink plenty of fluids. My first winter camping experiences in hammocks were pretty rough, 9' hammock, charlie horses, cramps in the feet. It was tough just getting the boots on, a total drag. I talked to folks, switched up gear, worked some issues and ended up spending an entire winter outdoors in a hammock. So the problems can be resolved.

Last thing, how high are you hanging? I always make sure the hammock is at a comfortable height for sitting, just a bit lower than a chair might be. Like to have my feet comfortably flat on the ground when sitting in the hammock, that way I'm not fishing around for my boots, shoes or crocs when I get out. I mean they always move, I sit in the hammock, take them off, get up later and somehow they wandered further to the side. Point is, I need to be able to reach out and grab them easily without playing games. Cold mornings can have the muscles stiff and yet another opportunity for cramping.

Best of luck.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Bliss No see um. Heavily Modified
    Tarp
    Army hutchie
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Own design & DIY.
    G'Day,
    I have been to that cramp place. Like the other bloke said.
    The reason you have a flat lay is weight being transferred through your heels. This equates to a bending moment on your straight knees, in the direction that straightens them ->hyper-extension. Therefor support them in a slight bend by putting something under/between your knees.

Cya
    Gus

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    When I sleep in bed or on the ground, my toes rotate out (~ 45 degrees away from straight up as I lie on my back). I notice that if the hammock pulls or pushes my toe in (with it rotating my knee and hip) I am likely to wake with an numb or painfully cramped leg. I have different remedies for different hammocks. With my Blackbirds (standard length rather than the XLC), raising the foot end typically provides relief. For my gathered end hammocks, an adjustment to my hang angle or foot end height usually works. If not, I carry an adjustable structural ridgeline that I can employ.

Good Luck. Keep tinkering and you'll eventually find something that works.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Tablecloth - custom
    Tarp
    12'x12' guide gear
    Insulation
    CDT DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I get leg cramps often when camping. Any time I sweat a lot during the day, I seem to get them later that night. I hydrate as much as possible. If I have any adult beverage, it is more common.
    This hasn't happened in a hammock yet but this is a concern of mine.

One thing I will tell you is that I have never tried a mustard packet but I ALWAYS keep pickles around. If you ever get a cramp, drinking a swig of pickle juice will make it go away almost instantly. Vinegar is your friend..

Good luck and I hope your leg cramps are kept to a minimum.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    If you're getting cramps from a long day of hiking you might want to look into potassium supplements. But I am no doc.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    Perhaps the mustard and pickle juice treatments work because they are salty.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Perhaps the mustard and pickle juice treatments work because they are salty.
    slugbait,

Noticed your "Join Date", Wow! I don't recall seeing an earlier join date actively post here recently.

Just, Wow!
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast