WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Lounging in a RidgeRunner

Any hints or tips for lounging in a RR? When I sit perpendicular to the long axis the side straps put pressure on the back of my legs which isn't comfortable. Sitting parallel there's not really any back support and trying to sit upright also makes the RR tippy. Maybe it's one of the compromises of a bridge over a gathered end hammock. Laying flat in it is like heaven, but looking for a more upright lounging position.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    I've never tried sitting perpendicular to the long axis in my Ridgerunner. I imagine those side straps would really hurt, unless you put something under your legs there, like a foam sit pad or a folded-up jacket. Mostly I just lie in it, looking at the stars, the sky, or whatever. And sleep in it, on my back or side or stomach. I have a Helinox chair if I want to sit up.

Also haven't noticed a problem with back support in the RR; mine feels like I'm on a cot. So I wonder what the angle is for your straps; it should be a bit tighter than a gathered end -- Brandon has a video of setting up a RR that might help show that, on the warbonnetoutdoors site. If hung too loosely, you may feel more like a banana than straight.

The other thought I had reading your post was that you might want to try the Amok hammock, which clearly lets you lounge or lie flat easily.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    The key for me is to keep my feet on the ground and push back a little so front side tips down and doesn't dig into the back of your legs. Not a "normal" lounge, but it's still pretty comfortable.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I use my camp stool to get my feet off the ground. It takes the pressure off the side of the hammock and gives you something to rock back and forth on. Very comfortable., considering.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ChacMool View Post
    Also haven't noticed a problem with back support in the RR; mine feels like I'm on a cot. So I wonder what the angle is for your straps; it should be a bit tighter than a gathered end -- Brandon has a video of setting up a RR that might help show that, on the warbonnetoutdoors site. If hung too loosely, you may feel more like a banana than straight.
    The back support laying down is awesome. I was talking more about a chair-like sitting or somewhat reclining position versus flat. Like an eating-lunch-in-the-hammock kind of thing.

I might try removing the spreader bars and seeing if that does anything (besides lowering the hammock). I'll let you all know how that works.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    OK, taking the bars out makes it even worse! Not recommended.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Finding the right spot and as others have said sitting with your feet elevated and or the hammock at more of an angle backwards. It's not ideal as a chair though in my opinion. I have had mine strung up in the shop off an on and kick back in it for a break here and there. For me though taking a monarch chair to actually sit in, have around the fire, for breaks on the trail and so on is far more ideal.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts