Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG CF Multicam
    Insulation
    EE Multicam
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Question Help with tie outs for HG standard CF tarp with doors?

Hi, I'm getting ready to attempt a hike on the AT in a few weeks and want to fine tune the setup for this tarp. Any suggestions would be very appreciated, thanks.

For my ridge ties, currently I have two Dutch Stingerz separately spliced onto 30 feet of lash it.

image.jpg

The first conundrum is how short should I cut these, because it's tooooooo long. I have a WBBB XLC with whoopie slings, and I suppose the maximum length that could support, would be a barometer with which to gauge....no?

Secondly, can one of you recommend the exact length for the four tie outs to the doors, as well as the side tie outs and finally the doors? I'll have my treking poles with me, and I guess I can use the poles to pull out those sides. I was told by someone to use prussic knots on the tie outs to cinge it tight.

Look I'm pretty lost here. Is there a thread on here or somewhere else that has all this stuff covered? I apologise if this sounds really dumb or whatever, if so I'll delete it. Have a great weekend everybody.
    AT-2017 PCT-2018 CDT-2019-2020
    JMT-2018 FT-2018-2020 CT-2019-2020

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I have 10-12' of Lash-it on my Stingerz. While this might still be generous, I'd be hesitant to go any shorter. Maybe start with 15" each and cut back later if this is consistently too long.

At the corners, I use 1.5 mm Z-line. It is strong, compact and does not tangle. I have 6' on one side and 10' on the other to facilitate a Porch. I typically run the line around my stakes, back through the tie-out for a 3:1 mechanical advantage then use a Tautline hitch. When I set up in Porch-mode, I run the 10" line around my stake for a 2:1 and tie off witj a tautline hitch.

At each door I have a 2-3' peice of shock cord with a loop at the end. Most of the time the doors are tied back to the side pull-outs. When closed, I just loop over the stake at the opposte side of the tarp.

I have multiple tarps all set up pretty much like this. The only exception, my Edge has no doors. That said, you will find a way that suits yourself. It will most likely be different from everyone else's.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like continuous ridgelines, but if you factor in the length of the tarp (presumably 11 ft.), then I'd make each ridgeline cord at least 12 ft., maybe 14 ft. I like my continuous ridgeline to be 35 ft. - that accommodates almost any hang I've encountered.

I don't put a lot of thought into the door tie-outs (definitely no shock cord anywhere on my CF tarp) - six feet should be more than enough (though you can get by with less). As for the tarp tie outs, I always go with 8 ft. (sometimes I tie off to bushes or trees). I use Zing-It 1.75 mm for everything.

I don't do porch mode, so I don't have to worry about accommodating porch mode.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Find out the longest distance between trees you can hang your hammock, which is determined by how high you can reach, make your hammock suspension that length and the tarp length to match. All my guy lines are 6' although the side ones only need to be about 4', to get by with carrying only 4 stakes the corner lines need to be about 6' for me to close the doors and hook the line on a side stake. I use line locks on all lines so I can adjust quickly from under the tarp.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have some Tarp Tutorials that may offer some insight...https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG CF Multicam
    Insulation
    EE Multicam
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thank you Shug, Drybones, SilvrSurfr and OCDave for the tips.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG CF Multicam
    Insulation
    EE Multicam
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have some Tarp Tutorials that may offer some insight...https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Shug
    Sweet dude! That knot you showed at 6 minutes into the first video is an awesome knot for the tie outs!! Thanks a bunch man. I saw how your doors on the HG CF were pulled together tight on the outside in the second video. What type of knot do you use to tie those together to make it into a hex tarp?

BTW, I'm sure you've probably been to Sarasota, FL before because it looks like you were/are involved with the circus. This girl named Annaliese Nock successfully completed for sumersaults under a minute in the Wheel of Death! Set a new Guiness World Record. She is the daughter of Bello Nock. It's been all over the news. If you haven't heard about it, you ought to check it out. Its on video.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide22 View Post
    What type of knot do you use to tie those together to make it into a hex tarp?
    Slippery half hitch works great - I can't see any reason to use a more complex knot.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Slippery half hitch works great - I can't see any reason to use a more complex knot.
    Exactly it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG CF Multicam
    Insulation
    EE Multicam
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks guys, y'all are awesome.