Question non DWR inner layer for top quilt ?

It seems to be the custom to use a DWR nylon fabric for the inner layer of down top quilts (from what i have seen on the good myog videos). For the outer layer i assume it protects from water splash and for the inner layer it keeps moisture and sweath from penetrating into the down insulator. Now I am sure that a non stick frying pan probably would be a larger source of PFOA than the DWR on this quilt would ever be. Still the DWR toxicology data makes me want to explore if there is a way around using it next to skin (im ok with it on the outer layer).

I want to ask if it would be possible to use a nontreated synthetic fiber such as polyester or acrylic which is natively water resistant as the layer next to skin. Would it work ? Or would any polyester fabric woven to be downproof also be too dense to be breathable ?

Have people used non dwr nylon fabric on the inner layer?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I used calendared oz hyperD in my quilts. It is not DWR. My tarp is there to keep things dry.

My understanding is that's it's not so much the DWR that's important, but using calendared fabric is what's important. DWR does not make fabric down proof.

Calendaring is a permanent heat treatment that makes it much more difficult for the down to escape between the weave. Calendaring also adds some wind resistance. DWR is a water resistant treatment that fades with time/use. It's not down proof.

What some people prefer for down quilts is a DWR treated calendared (down proof) fabric.

Here's a discussion from several years ago:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ndered-ripstop

The calendared HyperD fabric does have a DWR coating as listed on the RBTR website. It's not necessary to have DWR on the inner fabric if you don't want it but the only really light downproof fabric that I know of without DWR is the Thru-Hiker M45 fabric that I believe they only sell as part of a kit.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_qrt View Post
    The calendared HyperD fabric does have a DWR coating as listed on the RBTR website. It's not necessary to have DWR on the inner fabric if you don't want it but the only really light downproof fabric that I know of without DWR is the Thru-Hiker M45 fabric that I believe they only sell as part of a kit.
    I stand corrected. Calendared is still the most important aspect for dealing with down though. DWR is a nice bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    I stand corrected. Calendared is still the most important aspect for dealing with down though. DWR is a nice bonus.
    yeah, got that. I assume going DWR means it needs a lot less time to dry in the morning

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FredL View Post
    yeah, got that. I assume going DWR means it needs a lot less time to dry in the morning
    No, it shouldn't really make any difference to the wetness or drying time in the morning as the moisture from sweat will be mostly vapour and DWR wouldn't effect the vapour coming out of the bag while drying in the morning.

And I think you are right to try and avoid the DWR coatings where possible as it's pretty nasty stuff, very handy in the right circumstances though. I know I worry as I've started to build more kit
    Success doesn't come to you, you go to it.

• + New Posts