Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The Grizz Beaks lay over the top of the tarp so you shouldn't have a problem. Just attach them to the center pullouts or across to the other beak
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I like that idea, but it seems to me that in a real rain, just covering the foot end (say) of the hammock with a bag, the bag would be oriented such that some rain would run down the topside bag and join me in the hammock. That's why I thought it might be better to run a tarp ridgeline and drape both the tarp and the tarp extension over the same line, overlapping them, and they guying out to the ground. Could end up with up to 8 guyouts that way, if the overlap ends can't share a guyout (they might not then overlap). And of course drip lines for the tarp RL to prevent water wicking under.

But overall, you think it's do-able and could keep rain off from an unexpected passing shower, should one come up?
    You are asking about my garbage bag idea? I certainly think it is doable. It is basically just a chopped off(and dirt cheap) version of a hammock sock.

If tarp coverage is almost adequate, then this bag really only needs to extend an inch or so past the ends of the hammock, protecting against rain blown in the ends of the tarp onto the hammock, as well as providing some plain old wind protection. If extended outside the end of the tarp, and perhaps sloping up towards the tree somewhat as it follows the upward curve of the suspension, then there might be a possibility of rain running down the top side of the tarp and into the hammock. As opposed to simply hitting the totally uncovered part of the hammock which is exposed with too short of a tarp. The latter is very likely, the former (rain running down the top side of the garbage bag into the hammock is a bit more of a maybe. Consider: depending on the size of the bag and how far it runs under the tarp, if it is being supported by the RL then it is fairly level. So it might run down the bag where it is over the suspension, but then it levels out and the water should drain downward and run off before it reaches the ends of the bag. Maybe, probably still better odds than no coverage on the ends of the hammock.

But, if that is worrisome, remember I mentioned maybe needing some mods just to hold it in place in the wind? One suggestion was running a super light piece of cord from one end of the hammock to attach to the top edge of the garbage bag. But if you can connect that cord a little higher on - lets say the head end- then it can elevate that garbage bag on the foot end, making it actually higher than the middle or foot end of the garbage bag(an inch higher will do). So water would have to run up hill to go over the edge into the hammock. (also, see Grappler's post #20)

Or, use 1 tiny Grip Clip to add an attachment point on the top of the hammock if none are available. Run a piece of string down to the open end/top edge of the garbage bag, and pull it up a bit.

Or, roll the bags inside edges to form a little dam, a collar, that the water can't easily get over, maybe secure it with a couple of stitches so it doesn't unroll.

Or, for another down and dirty, dirt cheap way to temporarily solve this problem if weight is not a huge concern: Go to Harbor Freight(or wherever) and pay $5-6 for the smallest tarp they have, to be added to your main tarp. It will have grommets. Lay it over your main hammock biased towards one end. Run one of the main tarps lines through a grommet on each side(if the NEW tarp is not wide enough, you may have to run a foot or two of cordage from the cheap tarps grommets down to the main tarps tie outs. Extend the little tarp out over one end of the main tarp by 1, 2 or 3 or 4 feet, as needed. You now have a humongous additional amount of coverage on the end.

None of the above is a quality or UL way to approach solving this problem for good. But if the main tarp is too small, and the idea is to go cheap until a quality larger tarp can be purchased, these approaches will work. But you may have to experiment some to get them attached for best results.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    What happened to that 'sleeping in a tube' thread?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    What happened to that 'sleeping in a tube' thread?
    Flexiduct to the rescue!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-A-Flexi-Duct

And remember, you don't need to spend money on insulation: just hang over the dying fire.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...the-dying-fire
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    ...or just get a Dutch Summer sock. It protects the ends and underside of the hammock reasonably well. I prefer it over an integrated bug net myself.

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Thanks BillyBob58. Sorry for the slow acknowledgment; after subscribing to the thread, I quit getting notices of replies after the first couple. Not sure what's up with that. Many good cheap diy ideas - I appreciate it. Sounds like extending the coverage with some overlap is feasible, if rain isn't terribly windblown and perhaps the tarp ridgeline is perhaps a little angled (vs. level) to have the rain not run under the overlap area.

I do have both a small tarp (as you describe) and perhaps even better a tent footprint that is lighter and comparably waterproof to a PU-coated 190T poly tarp. The footprint is about 76x50/38, with the taper toward the foot end. It's 8 oz and should easily cover a couple foot deficiency in length. Went looking for some polycryo too - as that would be uber-cheap and uber-light, and a standard window size would be about 62x42, still easily covering it. Someone here showed use of a sheet bend for tie-outs. Seemed to last a couple trips at least, and is probably just a couple ounces. However, cold season is upon us and the 3-for-$5 polycryo packs are all sold out locally. So I'll keep an eye out for them and meanwhile consider use of the footprint (which has tie-out grommets already, so that's kind of convenient).

cheers!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123