Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Rest! For me I'm typically worn out from the trip that all I want to do is relax in the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Montexan View Post
    At lower elevations I'll fish and walk about. Often I'll end up tagging points in my GPS for alternate camp sites, climbers paths and ski lines. I'll do a class 3 scramble with a brain bucket, but my hard limits are exposed class 4 and long run-outs.

But generally I do about the exact same as DuneElliot: Hard pushes where I know I'll be tired and will want to retreat into bed once the sun fades and the mountains start breathing.

Did Boston Basin solo in North Cascades last week and only saw 2 other climbers on the far glacier. It was nice, but I didn't have much more room to go up (100') without climbing on the glacier--I had the gear but wasn't going to do it solo this time of year. Thankfully the climber's path up definitely helped me get to sleep quickly, despite a mid-day Rainier and nap.

Attachment 137193

On a side note..

I've used the DeLorme inReach while in Alaska. It was nice being able to send check-in messages with your coordinates. And for minor injuries or set backs, you can send updates, unlike the PLBs where they assume you're about to die and skip right to launching rails off the ground within an hour (that's the true time goal for our PacNW SAR teams) and packing everything.

But those aren't really going to help you in a fall though. If you check our Mt Rainier, Hood and Adam's death lists--most are solo. But the PCT death list is better than I expected--so choose your solo routes carefully!
    Is the Delorme inReach what you recommend? I have heard bad things about SPOT. I grew up with my father spending 30 years with LVMPDSAR, and he would kill me if I did any solo stuff without something like that. So, I still haven't.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by NoviceNorth View Post
    Is the Delorme inReach what you recommend? I have heard bad things about SPOT. I grew up with my father spending 30 years with LVMPDSAR, and he would kill me if I did any solo stuff without something like that. So, I still haven't.
    I did a LOT of research before pulling the trigger on the inReach. I liked that I could pay by the month and that cancelling the subscription was easy. Apparently that's the biggest gripe with the SPOT...hard to cancel and terrible customer service.

For me, while the inReach was more expensive, the reliability, subscription plan and two-way texting was the reason I went with it vs SPOT. I like that if you need to call SOS you get a confirmation that it was received, and with the two way texting you can send information to rescuers so they know what they are getting into rather than going in blind not knowing what to expect. Paired with my phone and the Earthmate it also acts as a basic GPS map which has saved my bacon a couple of times when a trail was not to be found.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I did a LOT of research before pulling the trigger on the inReach. I liked that I could pay by the month and that cancelling the subscription was easy. Apparently that's the biggest gripe with the SPOT...hard to cancel and terrible customer service.

For me, while the inReach was more expensive, the reliability, subscription plan and two-way texting was the reason I went with it vs SPOT. I like that if you need to call SOS you get a confirmation that it was received, and with the two way texting you can send information to rescuers so they know what they are getting into rather than going in blind not knowing what to expect. Paired with my phone and the Earthmate it also acts as a basic GPS map which has saved my bacon a couple of times when a trail was not to be found.
    For someone that goes out maybe 8 times per year, would it be cost effective by signing up and cancelling around my trips? Sort of like buying Netflix to watch a few shows, then cancel until 6 months later when a new show comes out? If it's EASY to keep signing up/cancelling, I may be interested.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    For someone that goes out maybe 8 times per year, would it be cost effective by signing up and cancelling around my trips? Sort of like buying Netflix to watch a few shows, then cancel until 6 months later when a new show comes out? If it's EASY to keep signing up/cancelling, I may be interested.
    I am interested in this also. My understanding is that it is easy to activate and deactivate, but that the minimum sign-up are one month blocks. Check out the chart in the middle of this page. I think what you are referring to is the "freedom plan"?

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    The navigation is good for, like previously mentioned, tracking to get to where you were, but inReach themselves said they limited the navigation functions to optimize battery life. So if you already own a garmin, Gaia on the iPhone or go old school, you can skip the navigation model. And If you wait for sales, you can find the navigation inReach for a bit less than the non-navigation model MSRP.

Two-way communications are a huge bonus. And with SAR groups handing out bills more often, you'll want to mitigate unnecessary rescue expenses and danger to those teams. Even when not solo, it's easy to be separated ORV in dunes or snowmobiling and a handy tool to have. It's easy to miss check-ins with mechanical failures.

PLBs are rock-solid, reasonably cheap and excellent coverage, but depending on conditions and terrain, the SAR teams will be sending a helo and dogs, each carrying their own kitchen sink. And on water it's treated as a MAYDAY without followup VHF.

But for your solo hiker? inReach w/ freedom plan is the best option. Texting without phone pairing is painfully slow and you won't be having any long chats, but you can save pre-formed messages, e.g., [Safe. Whiskey @ sunset.] <send> and it'll auto send the coordinates with a link in their email or phone to place you on a map. It can send auto updates too if you're say, scrambling and risking a fall, so there'll be reasonably last known position(s).

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgarrison888 View Post
    You're done hiking. You've set up camp/hammock. You've already eaten and cleaned up. You're pretty much just waiting a few hours to go to sleep.

I find this time of day can be kinda' boring. Any suggestions?
    Why stop? I sleep when I stop when by myself so hike till I'm tired.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    I am interested in this also. My understanding is that it is easy to activate and deactivate, but that the minimum sign-up are one month blocks. Check out the chart in the middle of this page. I think what you are referring to is the "freedom plan"?

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php
    I activated mine for August and September. There is a $40 yearly activation fee then a monthly fee for each month you need it in service. I just logged in to my account to be cancelled at the end of this month. I use the most basic monthly plan, and yes they are in monthly blocks of time. Fairly easy to activate and deactivate but you must update your device for cancellation via sync or satellite if you don't want to be charged for the next cycle.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cuben fiber
    Suspension
    whoppie slings/MSH
    +1 on the kindle. Or listen to ipod. Or obsess about how to get my pack lighter for the next trip. Anything to avoid being alone with my thoughts.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gringoperdido View Post
    +1 on the kindle. Or listen to ipod. Or obsess about how to get my pack lighter for the next trip. Anything to avoid being alone with my thoughts.
    Exactly...I've been alone with my thoughts all day! Now I need a distraction from myself!

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast