Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daveysnowis View Post
    I go out into the wilds for three reasons...

1. Local state park for an over-nighter where I set up and wander for a couple hours. The reason I am out in this situation is for loads of fresh air, tree identification, a long nights sleep and a small fire.

2. Out and back, one or two nighter. Pack as light as I can and hammer miles. I do this when I need loads of fresh air, tree identification, a long nights sleep and a small fire.

3. Backpacking trip 4-6 nighter. Pack light but with a couple comfort items, do 10 miles a day (always with a friend). I do this when I need loads of fresh air, tree identification, a long nights sleep and a small fire. A good chat is normally in order as well.

If I have cell service, I will text the wife some notes on the day.
    LOL a lot like what I do.

Short jaunts into the woods late into the day when I want to test some piece of gear or other, or just a break from news/people/daily routine. Sometimes take a long-ish route to get there, with an earlier start in the day, maybe pushing up the heart rate during the day to get a workout. Nothing clears the mind like an extended aerobic climb... not enough oxygen left over in the brain to permit worrying about stuff.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    REI Flash Air Hammock
    Tarp
    REI Flash Air
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    I generally hike in the spring and fall, so it gets dark at a reasonable time of day. I normally hike until about an hour before sunset, so by time I set up camp there's not much daylight left. I have a cigar, review the next day's hike, and enjoy being out in the woods. I avoid screen time except for checking in with my wife. I get too much of that in my daily life, and I go to the woods to escape all of those trappings. I'd much rather listen to the owls and other sounds of nature than watch a movie or listen to a podcast. I used to bring crossword puzzles, but I didn't do them very often. On a 10 day hike I might light a fire once, but I'm normally too tired on most nights to put forth the effort. As soon as it gets dark and my chores are done, I head for bed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920