Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    That's a nice score you got there! The Rocketeer or that 401 in the $100 ballpark is a great machine. I got my Rocketeer because my Brother wouldn't sew my webbing straps anymore and I don't think I'll ever want another machine.

Quote Originally Posted by dperk View Post
    Keep it cleaned up and lubed. It's an awesome machine.

Google "singer 401 service manual" for help adjusting it (if needed).

User manuals are available on Singer's website. http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...9bfb86924c.pdf

Outside of cleaning and oiling mine, I replaced the brushes in the motor and it's like new again.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPfCADyz_rE

Good luck with the machine! I hope it injects all you want it to.
    Hi Dperk. I was just curious as to why you ended up changeing brushes..did the motor fell like it didnt have any power or did it just stop working all together? Thanks for the video!

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ HG 20*UQ
    On my 401, when you press down the pedal it would make a good hum noise and not really move muchl. You almost had to move the hand wheel to get it started, then it would inject great! I first looked into the foot pedal, but they are so simple and really nothing to go wrong. So I blew the dust out of it. Next, I read about brush'd motors and saw that video I linked above. I then found the brushes for very cheap. I followed that video except I cleaned the pads on the motor by chucking the whole thing into my lathe. It was about a 10-15min job to replace the brushes. The motor now works very well from a stop and can maintain a very low speed. It seems to have a lot more power. (not that it needs it!)

The brushes are the same as a singer 221. Here is an auction that has them, they list the size and the singer part #192457
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Motor-Carb...-/271959559931

You can replace everything on the 401. There should be no reason to ever need another injector. You can find whole motors on ebay for about $20 and they take about 5 mins to replace. You could get a 2nd motor and put new brushes in that and swap them back and forth for about $30

Here are my machines... the 401 is awesome!
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...77#post1334177

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I may have just scored a 401 today for 125CDN$ providing someone else does not scoop it before I get there to pick it up...been listed for 3 weeks so should still be there for Mon eve.
    Will compliment my 127 treadle machine nicely I thinks.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Nice! Grab it up...I dont know why anyone would want to pay north of 1k for a half decent machine new when these old ones are the best out there..They dont build anything well anymore..guess thats why i will probably never sell my 2003 f250..already have 310k on it now..I always regretted selling my 1980 cause i thought this new one was crap and now the new trucks are even worse..LOL

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    I just bought an old singer 215 today for dirt cheap(10 bucks lol) but it didnt come with a foot pedal or power cord. I figured i could wire it up to 110v no problem but didnt realize it need a pedal..LOl.
    Most likely you can sew with the handwheel only. This works good if you have one with a big diameter. You can change the handwheel and you can also install a hand crank. Another cheap option is to use it as a treadle machine only.

I also bought a Singer 215 G (made in Germany) for 5 Euro. The reason I bought it was the solid wooden subpart only. I will use it with my Singer 216 G. I get a motor with the Singer 215 G too, but don't know if it still works and I have no foot pedal either. I think I will sell the Singer 215 G as a treadle machine again and keep the motor with V-belt and motor bracket. Also the box has a value for me.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    This machine (or a Singer 206) was one of my dreamcreations:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Sewin...16.m2518.l4276
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 02-20-2016 at 09:55.

I would have definitly used the hand wheel if mjne was an older machine. My singer stylist looks to be 70s or 80s and doesnt have a big wheel on it unfortunitly..i can turn it by hnd but i think it would get old fast with this one..

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Picked up the Singer 401J (J being made in Canada) on Monday and today got her all cleaned and oiled up with everything working as it should. A Very nice clean unit for 125CDN$ with cabinet and chair. Just needed 2 spool pins and a bobbin winder wheel plus had to add a thin washer to the top of the cam stack to hold it down to keep it in alignment...the whole stack had too much up and down free play.

Now I need to build something....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Quote Originally Posted by dperk View Post
    Keep it cleaned up and lubed. It's an awesome machine.

Google "singer 401 service manual" for help adjusting it (if needed).

User manuals are available on Singer's website. http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...9bfb86924c.pdf

Outside of cleaning and oiling mine, I replaced the brushes in the motor and it's like new again.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPfCADyz_rE

Good luck with the machine! I hope it injects all you want it to.

Hi again Dperk. I just got my machine today and it seems to struggle to start. I do have a rather big spool of thread jerry rigged up to it cause it doesnt fit on he top. I noticed if i pull a little slack in the thread to help it out it starts fine. I can easily bog it down by appling pressure to the bobbin winder tho. Just wondering if these are signs that the brushes may be worn? Thanks again

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12