Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PA > Allegheny National Forest - Allegheny 100 Hiking Challenge > June 10 - 12

Hi everyone,

First let me say that I have no affiliation with the North Country Trail Association, National Park Service or the US Forest Service.

This year marks 100 years for the National Park Service and to commemorate, the North Country Trail Association will be promoting a Hike 100 Challenge. More info here: https://northcountrytrail.org/get-in...100-challenge/

I have wanted to do the 100 miles of NCT through the Allegheny National Forest and thought what better time. In June the NCTA sponsors the Allegheny 100 Hiking Challenge (A-100).

https://northcountrytrail.org/get-in...ing-challenge/

Some info from link above:

The Allegheny National Forest Chapter of the North Country Trail Association will hold the annual Allegheny 100 Hiking Challenge (A-100) on June 10- 12, 2016. Registration for the 2016 A-100 Challenge will open in March 2016.

The A-100 is an endurance challenge met through unsupported hiking. It is not a race, but an individual challenge of stamina, determination and resilience. Being an unsupported hike, there are no first aid or water stations. Hikers are responsible for supplying their own food, drinks and equipment. Participants must recognize that cell phone reception is very spotty along the length of the trail.

The adventure covers a 100 mile stretch of the North Country National Scenic Trail in the Allegheny National Forest. Climb over rolling hills and pass through many beautiful stream valleys. For 2015, the hikers will travel north to south. The direction is changed every two years to give hikers the opportunity to complete all 100 miles of trail.

The A-100 challenges hikers to traverse 100 miles, 75 miles, 50 miles or 25 miles in a 50 hour time period. This challenge is for anyone, regardless of skill level, who wants to test themselves against the trail. Everyone needs to “hike their own hike”, moving at their own pace and resting when necessary.

The challenge will extend from the PA Route 66 trailhead, between Marienville and Vowinckel, PA to PA Route 346 trailhead, near Willow Bay.

Pre-register to receive a membership to the North Country Trail Association, shuttle service to the start of the hike, and a T-shirt.

Pre-registration ends May 15, 2016, or when 110 hikers have signed up. Cost will be $50 for non-members and $27 for members.

---

I know its a ways off but early registration starts next month so I thought I would post it now.

Thanks,

Conquering Fool

Hammock
    Hennessey Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    None currently
    Suspension
    Stock
    Good luck! I really want to do this, but my best is 18 miles currently... let us know how you make out.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    2 miles an hour for 50 hours ......... I find it both interesting and painful. They don't offer much of a backup plan either; you don't make your mileage, best of luck getting back to your car, and thanks for participating.

Still, ANF in June. That's peak Mount Laurel season?

There are also 25, 50 and 75 mile options. My brother and I are doing 75, and I plan to hike the other 25 prior to the event.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    I would do some of it but would like to camp at night rather than hike, the trip back to your car is somewhat sketchy. They want you to go out but really have no plan on getting you back to the car other than hitchhiking. Unless I'm missing something.

You park at your destination and a shuttle takes you to the start

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquering Fool View Post
    You park at your destination and a shuttle takes you to the start
    sounds good now. I think I may do this then. I don't mind doing the 100 miles but not in 50 hours.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishSitter View Post
    2 miles an hour for 50 hours ......... I find it both interesting and painful. They don't offer much of a backup plan either; you don't make your mileage, best of luck getting back to your car, and thanks for participating.

Still, ANF in June. That's peak Mount Laurel season?
    That's with no sleep or rest time. 75 miles at 2 miles an hour gives you 12 hours of off-time for sleeping, breaks, eating, getting water... I'm not in good enough shape to do 100 miles in 50 hours but the 75 sounds doable.

[Edit: And you don't have to do the whole 100 at this event. As long as you do 100 miles of the NCT in a year you can get a patch. The FLT is part of the NCT but the branches don't count.]

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    That's with no sleep or rest time. 75 miles at 2 miles an hour gives you 12 hours of off-time for sleeping, breaks, eating, getting water... I'm not in good enough shape to do 100 miles in 50 hours but the 75 sounds doable.

[Edit: And you don't have to do the whole 100 at this event. As long as you do 100 miles of the NCT in a year you can get a patch. The FLT is part of the NCT but the branches don't count.]
    Agreed. 75 sounds alot more in line with these old bones. Definitely need to get me some Anti-Monkey Butt Powder.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would be down for the 25 or 50 mile options. Honestly, the 25 mile option sounds like a really solid overnighter!

Not to hijack the thread, but just a thought: I would be extremely interested in meeting up once a month as a group, and tackling the NCT challenge 20-30 miles at a time. I think it'd be a lot of fun for a bunch of us to get our patches together

Thoughts?
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast