diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b

very long rolled hem channel sewing

ok... this may be obvious or you all may have a much better method, but here is the method i just developed for doing a rolled hem channel....

first, i take some shock cord and clamp it two-wide to my long table (it is a ping pong top on our pool table)... i make sure it is in the same distance on each side. i then put the fabric under it (top side down) and align it to the edge of the table. i then fold the edge of the fabric to the cord and put a small binder clip on (i use binder clips in place of pins, you could use pins). i then pull the new edge of the fabric back to the edge of the table.

IMG_3782.jpg

next, i fold the fabric again but this time over the two cords and a binder clip the fabric to the cords. you need to make sure here that the binder clip is clamped down on both cords. i leave the first row of binder clips where they are because they are holding the "rolled" part of the channel.

IMG_3783.jpg

I then take the whole thing to the sewing machine (cord and all) and put on my zipper foot. i align the zipper foot so that the cord is on the right side and the needle aligns where it will hit all three layers of fabric. the two cords in the channel give me a perfect guide to make the sewing straight. i take off the binder clips as i go.

IMG_3785.jpg

i then remove one cord from the channel and change to the bigger part of my zipper foot and run another length of stitches down the fabric. this one ends up being outside the other line. i could do a third line the same way just by changing my needle position dial. in any case, the cord and the zipper foot keep the needle the right distance away from the channel.

IMG_3786.jpg

a couple of things about working with binder clips:

first, if you have too many layers or insulation they can slip.
    second, you have to be careful that they don't get snagged on your table edge as the fabric is moving through the machine

also, there are clips that are specifically made for sewing... i have not tried these but some look interesting. for instance, certain types don't need to be removed as you sew. they can go right under the needed carriage... at the time, i had a whole bunch of binder clips and joann fabric is about 20 mins away so i went with the binder clips (i'm very impatient that way)...

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I just double roll clip (quilting clips are amazing) then sew.

Tacblades

If this is what you mean by quilting clips, I agree. Roll, roll, clip, sew. Works great for a hammock or tarp hem, if there's insulation involved I still find I need pins.

http://www.amazon.com/URBEST%C2%AEWo...s=wonder+clips

51x9RuyGjFL._SL1001_.jpg
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I use wonder clips as well. The red are 1/2" deep while bues are deeper (I don't recall the depth at the moment ). I plan to get some though.

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I use wonder clips as well. The red are 1/2" deep while bues are deeper (I don't recall the depth at the moment ). I plan to get some though.
    Yep, when you slip the fabric all the way to the back of the clip and the hem lines up with the tip of the teeth, you know you have a 1/2" hem. There are little marks in between, as well for other size hems.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    If this is what you mean by quilting clips, I agree. Roll, roll, clip, sew. Works great for a hammock or tarp hem, if there's insulation involved I still find I need pins.

51x9RuyGjFL._SL1001_.jpg
    Yes these love them they are perfect
    Tacblades

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    I might try some of theses. They are shaped much better than binder clips. Are they low profile enough to keep on there while sewing or do you need to take them off as you go?

I still think the cord helps as a guide to know where to fold and where to sew.

On my hammock I didn't use this method. Instead I drew a line on the fabric where I wanted the center of the fold to be. The problem is that I then had a line but since I tie dyed it later the line wasn't a problem. For the sides of the hammock I used a rolled hem pressor foot. It creates a very small rolled hem for when I don't need a channel. I also have a magnetic hem guide that goes on the metal plate of the sewing machine. That works pretty good for a lot of hems.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post

51x9RuyGjFL._SL1001_.jpg
    I would caution you against the ones you have linked as they are possibly knockoffs of the original Clover Wonder clips. I believe these are the authentic ones and they are in fact awesome. http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Wonder-...s=clover+clips

Quote Originally Posted by TPole View Post
    I would caution you against the ones you have linked as they are possibly knockoffs of the original Clover Wonder clips. I believe these are the authentic ones and they are in fact awesome. http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Wonder-...s=clover+clips
    The ones I linked are the ones I bought, 250+ 5-star reviews and they work great for me. What should I be cautious of?

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Yup. I had no idea there were different brands, or who was first. It appears that Clover Manufacturing is based in Japan. I couldn't find anything about "Urbest".
    http://www.athomebythebaye.com/2016/...her-brand.html

I haven't had any problems with the Urbest, but don't have extensive use on them either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast