Canadian Military Under Quilt DYI

Hi. This is my first post here and i am very new to hammocking. Im not sure what caused me to purchase a hammock cause noone i know use one. They all use tents(including myself). However when i saw that Fox made by Solo double hammock on Amazon.ca i had to try it. I have successfully slept in temps down to -7c over night. I have tried at -24 and almost made it all night but i had to pee at around 5am and once i got out of the US MSS i couldnt get it warmed back up. I was using a very good inflatable pad under it but it became apparently clear i was doing something wrong. Thats when i started reading about underquilts..I am currently on the fence whether to buy a snug pak under quilt or build a cocoon type one out of an old military sleeping bag..The one i have does have lots of feathers in it( i am assuming this is down??) and is rated to -15c on its own on the ground. The bag is 30 inchs wide by 75 inchs long. My plan was to simply cut a hole in the bottom and sew some grosgrain around it and add some suspension to the head end to hold it up..Am i better off making an underquilt or would i be happy with the snugpak? The 3 pounds isnt too heavy for me to pack around if the snugpak will work for me year round.( with added parts to the overall system in the winter of course.) Thanks All! Any feedback or info is greatly appreciated!

12734067_1078790228810460_2110109310338347024_n.jpgcan mil.jpg

almost forgot pictures everybody loves pictures..hahha..The first pic is outside my back door where i try out the different configurations to to see what i can handle..the green bag is the one i was thinking about building an underquilt or cocoon out of..

I was also thinking that if any one had a used snugpak underquilt or even the top quilt they wanted to sell i would be interested in buying it to try it out. But i am still interested in building the ultimate fire under my butt with an old military bag..LOL

Hammock
    Dutch Nylon D 1.6 single & double
    Tarp
    Kelty and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Cocoon
    Suspension
    My whoopie/straps
    Images
    how about a SnugPak Cocoon ?

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

Canadian Military Under Quilt DYI

Welcome from Saskatoon. A long time ago, it feels like anyway, ... Starting to sound like the opening for a movie. Anyway I did what you did. Take the bag and undo the stitching below the zipper. It should then allow you to open the bag up flat. Then I grabbed a side and tried to get as many feathers to the other side. Drew a line to make the side opposite the down to give you a straight line and sewed it. I went outside and cut outside the freshly sewn seam. Some feathers come out. The did the same for the opposite side. This gives you a square. Grosgrain the sides and you can put shock through them for suspension. (Remove the zipper) it worked well, pretty heavy but as long as you don't over compress it when suspending it, it works. Use you other bag as a TQ.

I'll see if I still have a picture kicking around.
    Cheers
    J

Quote Originally Posted by jcdflint View Post
    how about a SnugPak Cocoon ?
    I am not too thrilled about how that cocoon zips all the way up. In my climate if you breath into your bag or cover like that you get insane frost and moisture buildup. I could leave it open at my face and use my MSS inside it..12705275_1078798792142937_8693084063335033009_n.jpg I was also wondering if the cocoon had less insulation on the bottom than the underquilt does..the weights of the too suggests that it does have less insulation.. But Pm me a price with shipping and i will see. This picture is of the roof over my deck where i slept in -24C. That is at least 8 feet high and coated with frost from my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Welcome from Saskatoon. A long time ago, it feels like anyway, ... Starting to sound like the opening for a movie. Anyway I did what you did. Take the bag and undo the stitching below the zipper. It should then allow you to open the bag up flat. Then I grabbed a side and tried to get as many feathers to the other side. Drew a line to make the side opposite the down to give you a straight line and sewed it. I went outside and cut outside the freshly sewn seam. Some feathers come out. The did the same for the opposite side. This gives you a square. Grosgrain the sides and you can put shock through them for suspension. (Remove the zipper) it worked well, pretty heavy but as long as you don't over compress it when suspending it, it works. Use you other bag as a TQ.

I'll see if I still have a picture kicking around.
    Cheers
    J
    Hi. That would be awesome Thanks..Did you ever consider using the military bag as a cocoon or is it too small to realistically do that with?

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Cocoon? Didn't really occur to me to go that way. It tends to make you sleep banana more than diagonal. But it's worth giving it a try. Open up the bottom and put in a channel to cinch. If you don't care for it just continue modifying of leave it cinched up for a bag.

• + New Posts