Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Sorry, but yes, another question about needles and threads

..well, it may be the same questions asked in a different way.

For DIY projects, is there a fairly universal needle and thread? I've read several posts with similar questions, but most of the time my eyes start to glaze over at the answers. When I had my first sewing machine years ago, I just went to Walmart and got the cheapest whatever color I needed. But, my research on HF has made me realize how deep it really goes.

I will probably be making some UQ and TQ out of Costco Down Throws. What needle and thread should I use?

I also have some gear I will be re-purposing. I have ENO DN hammocks I'm thinking of using for stuff sacks and maybe gear lofts or other random things.

I also may be converting some heavy weight fleece sleeping bags in to TQs.

Being as I have none of the thread or needles and they are all easily obtainable, what is the best course of action here? I have no problem by different sizes or types or whatever. I just want to get what works well for the different projects. If I can use the same through out, that's great. I suspect I will be getting different colors of thread for different projects anyway.

Should I just use Gutterman Sew-All on everything? If so, what size needle dose it need?

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by SpitballJedi; 02-13-2016 at 23:12.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    The Gutterman Sew-All (tex 30) would be a pretty good all-purpose, middle of the road thread that would work well for the projects you mention. I would recommend an 80/12 needle size with it.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Excellent. Thank you for a straight forward response.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    "Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?" You have no idea how deep this rabbit hole can go. There are folks who go to charts to match thread diameter with needle size dependent on fabric used. I say Pffft. Stay away from the wally world thread. It can have real problems with quality. Thread has a shelf life. But for the simplest guidline... I agree with Papa smurf. The guy stitches for a living. Me.... I use what I got as long as it is quality.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    The Gutterman Sew-All (tex 30) would be a pretty good all-purpose, middle of the road thread that would work well for the projects you mention. I would recommend an 80/12 needle size with it.
    That should be pinned somewhere in bold letters!I went down the rabbit hole with out taking the blue pill,suffered the glazed over eyes and took a wrong turn into a gopher hole which led to Joannes to buy a 70/10 microtex and getting laughed at when the Carhart coveralls guy asked about thread size.Ended up with thread too big for the size 70 and the machine refusing to sew a straight line.It too 4 days of study and adventuring to just sew two pieces of nylon together.

One thing I learned is that the help at Joanes is no more knowledgeable than the help at Lowes,just money takers with a sense of entitlement!

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I don't want to disagree with PapaSmurf or Ramlinrev but I'm pretty sure that both use another thread as all-purpose thread. . Gütermann Tera 80 (tex 35, dtex 350(3)) is imo a much better all-purpose thread for us. It's not only a bit stronger than Gütermann Sew-All thread (dtex 300(2)), it is smoother, nicer and much cheaper on bigger kingspools too. I use a #14 Schmetz Universal needle. This combination works best on all my sewing machines and the normal average ripstop-nylon I use. A #14 needle is recommend by kite makers too.
    https://sites.google.com/site/kites4...ite-sewing-101
    If reasonable or necessary I can always use a #10 or a #12 Schmetz Mictrotex needle or a #11 Schmetz Quilting neeedle for tarps or down quilts too.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers

Sorry, but yes, another question about needles and threads

Great link XXL... Thanks... I've always wanted to learn more about kite making. I'm gonna try the "hot basting" technique the discussion various articles.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    Gütermann Tera 80 (tex 35, dtex 350(3)) is imo a much better all-purpose thread for us. It's not only a bit stronger than Gütermann Sew-All thread (dtex 300(2))
    I may go with Sew-All simply because my local Joannes and Amazon has it, which means no shipping charges. I'm still on the fence though.

The only other Gutermann's I saw on Amazon or Joanne's is upholstery, Mara 100, Mara 120, and jean.

Dutch has Tera70 Tex40 at a good price even after shipping. How does that compare to Sew-All and Tera80 Tex35?

I think I have my face in the rabbit hole now

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    I don't want to disagree with PapaSmurf or Ramlinrev but I'm pretty sure that both use another thread as all-purpose thread.
    This is the rabbit hole Ramblinrev refers to.
    Tera 80 and a 90/14 needle is the absolute best combination if it works well for you and you like it.

Actually, we do use Gutermann Mara 100 (or sew-all) as our standard thread on 2 of our home machines used to build accessory items such as stuff sacks, storage pockets, etc.
    mara100b.JPG mara100.JPG

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Would you recommend Mara 100 over Sew-All for my projects?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast