Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene

Top quilt pad straps

I want to make my topquilts dual purpose for hammock and ground sleeping. I've seen lots of tutorials but I haven't found one that shows what to use/how to attach straps for going around a sleeping pad.

I really like the prodigy quilt that I have from enlightened equipment but I have no idea what the little plastic connectors that they use are called.

Anybody know of a tutorial that covers adding loops or elastic bands with little plastic clips to the sides of the a topquilt?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Have you tried these on any other quilts? The straps from my Golite are laying in the bottom of my gear pile. I've used it on the ground a couple of times and I can't see how I'd use those straps in a way that wouldn't really annoy me. The "strap" was probably 3/4" crossgrain and the buckles are some kind of super thin fastex or similar quick-release variety.

If your quilt already has loops where you want the straps, maybe just use a piece of shock cord with a mitten hook on one end. On the other end just use a cord lock so you can adjust the tension. Light, cheap, fast.....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    I used the strap on my prodigy and it really helped keep my sleeping pad under the quilt. I'm m not sure how much use they would get because I'm making this quilt for my daughter and wife...I just thought it would be better to have it and not need it than want it and not have it.

I like the idea of shock cord and a small fabric loop, but I don't know how to attach the loop to the quilt during the build. This will be my first quilt build and I'll also be learning to sew while doing it (I know, it sounds like a disaster in the making haha).

If you're doing Climashield, just stick grosgrain loops where you want them pointing inwards in your "sandwich" of fabrics and insulation before you sew the perimeter.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    would there be any benefit to extra stitching or do you feel that one stitch run through it would be adequate?

I'm really sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm way out of my element here lol

Hammock
    Dutch Hex 1.0 11' foot
    Tarp
    Purple Xenon DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Hab
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    When I made my TQ, I did two sets to hold my pad in place. I placed small triangle glides between folded pieces of 1/2" grosgrain on each side of the quilt and stitched them into my rolled hem facing inward. I did bartac those stress points just for reinforcement. Then I used shock cord with plastic mitten hooks and cord locks to go around the pad and secure it. The good thing about the triangle guides is you cinch it up without worrying about pulling too hard or cutting the grosgrain. You can also take them on and off without worrying about damage. Bad thing is that in really cold weather, fooling with the little mitten hooks and glides with cold hands can be frustrating.

You can get these from DIY gear supply: http://diygearsupply.com/product/low...elease-buckle/

I'd say get the thin webbing version for pad straps. These are 3/4" and I believe EE use 1/2" so you wouldn't be able to interchange straps but I think the 3/4" is a little easier to operate.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    thanks for the link michael_qrt. those are exactly what i was looking for

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    msudawg, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to take a closer look at your setup.

• + New Posts